• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - CL: Arsenal vs Dinamo Zagreb | 23/08/06

sabret00the

Established Member
Almunia - 5: Some may say it's early into the season, however i say he's just not good enough, while all Arsenal keepers of late are suspect with their clearences, his just seems indicative of the game he had, when called upon just couldn't do the job required.

Eboue - 6: More rolling antics, people talk about Campbell wanting to go Hollywood, this guy is definately has the upper hand, he will be the first ex-footballer to grab an oscar. bar that he wasn't the best positionally today and his overlaps seemed...under-thought. improvement required.

Toure - 6: One of his weaker games in a while, it's suprising considering the only centre back i rate better than him is Gallas but still everyone looks a complete **** up every once in a while.

Djourou - 6: The AOTVO commentator got it right, he tends to look shaky at the start of a game and imo with the rest of the defence being so weak and reliant on speed he just never recovered.

Hoyte - 6: Of the fullbacks he made the better forward runs but stopped short of the mark everytime, when you compare him to Cole it's a joke, not as bad as everyone will make out but not a good game. he's come back from Sunderland a lesser player.

Hleb - 6: Not his best game, i have no idea where the close control was, the through balls were non-existance and the positioning was nothing short of vanilla sex.

Fabregas - 6: While being the best midfielder of the starters today, he just didn't make those forward runs, nor impose himself on the game, in the absense of a real first teamer, he sat too deep and the passing was sloppy and not very well executed.

Flamini - 6: Though he grabbed a goal, he's clearly a super hero, i have seen him in many a Marvel comic, he's the guy that's invisible for most of the saga then pops up to take the credit, expect to watch him on Cartoon Networks rendition of the Justice League soon.

Ljungberg - 6: Worked hard but just didn't have the goods, the runs are not good enough any more and other than that he didn't offer enough, he made a good performance in terms of the captains responsibilites due to the fact he never done anything wrong, however he failed to do anything right either.

van Persie - 7: My Man Of The Match, made two what i would call mistakes and has me wondering what he needs to do to get 90 minutes but he worked hard and was a threat for his whole time on the pitch, however faded when he saw Henry warming up.

Adebayor - 6: He's shown he's a better player than what he showed today but still worked hard, ran hard and almost got on the scoresheet, a few more games and he'll have defences trembling however he had a bad day today.

Gilberto - 7: Stabalised the midfield while he didn't bring presence in the face of the enemy he undoubtedly brought with him organisation and position in which we lacked, basically we're ****ed without him even if you don't rate him.

Henry - 6: Honestly he offered nothing more than Adebayor and his presence forced the game to be played through him, still not fit and actually looked quite lethargic, i hope to see him a lot more fit before his next appearance for us.

Walcott - 7: Honestly the ratings a little high, but if he got his goal everyone would've given him a 9, he was unlucky to get the yellow for his shot after actually not even being offside. But, let it be said, he was electric in his runs and really brought some urgency to our game we were lacking, his off the ball running made the game open up and the assist was one that was well deserved. He's a little raw still hence why i say the ratings a little high, but with games he'll end up very well done.

RC8

Established Member
Re: Arsenal vs Dynamo Zagreb Player Ratings

sabret00the said:
Almunia - 5: Some may say it's early into the season, however i say he's just not good enough, while all Arsenal keepers of late are suspect with their clearences, his just seems indicative of the game he had, when called upon just couldn't do the job required.

Eboue - 6: More rolling antics, people talk about Campbell wanting to go Hollywood, this guy is definately has the upper hand, he will be the first ex-footballer to grab an oscar. bar that he wasn't the best positionally today and his overlaps seemed...under-thought. improvement required.

Toure - 6: One of his weaker games in a while, it's suprising considering the only centre back i rate better than him is Gallas but still everyone looks a complete f**k up every once in a while.

Djourou - 6: The AOTVO commentator got it right, he tends to look shaky at the start of a game and imo with the rest of the defence being so weak and reliant on speed he just never recovered.

Hoyte - 6: Of the fullbacks he made the better forward runs but stopped short of the mark everytime, when you compare him to Cole it's a joke, not as bad as everyone will make out but not a good game. he's come back from Sunderland a lesser player.

Hleb - 6: Not his best game, i have no idea where the close control was, the through balls were non-existance and the positioning was nothing short of vanilla sex.

Fabregas - 6: While being the best midfielder of the starters today, he just didn't make those forward runs, nor impose himself on the game, in the absense of a real first teamer, he sat too deep and the passing was sloppy and not very well executed.

Flamini - 6: Though he grabbed a goal, he's clearly a super hero, i have seen him in many a Marvel comic, he's the guy that's invisible for most of the saga then pops up to take the credit, expect to watch him on Cartoon Networks rendition of the Justice League soon.

Ljungberg - 6: Worked hard but just didn't have the goods, the runs are not good enough any more and other than that he didn't offer enough, he made a good performance in terms of the captains responsibilites due to the fact he never done anything wrong, however he failed to do anything right either.

van Persie - 7: My Man Of The Match, made two what i would call mistakes and has me wondering what he needs to do to get 90 minutes but he worked hard and was a threat for his whole time on the pitch, however faded when he saw Henry warming up.

Adebayor - 6: He's shown he's a better player than what he showed today but still worked hard, ran hard and almost got on the scoresheet, a few more games and he'll have defences trembling however he had a bad day today.

Gilberto - 7: Stabalised the midfield while he didn't bring presence in the face of the enemy he undoubtedly brought with him organisation and position in which we lacked, basically we're f*d without him even if you don't rate him.

Henry - 6: Honestly he offered nothing more than Adebayor and his presence forced the game to be played through him, still not fit and actually looked quite lethargic, i hope to see him a lot more fit before his next appearance for us.

Walcott - 7: Honestly the ratings a little high, but if he got his goal everyone would've given him a 9, he was unlucky to get the yellow for his shot after actually not even being offside. But, let it be said, he was electric in his runs and really brought some urgency to our game we were lacking, his off the ball running made the game open up and the assist was one that was well deserved. He's a little raw still hence why i say the ratings a little high, but with games he'll end up very well done.

I agree with most of these ratings, but disagree strongly in regards to Freddie and Henry.

Ljunberg had to play with an eye in defence, he had obviously been instructed to take care of Hoyte. He won us some corners, and more importantly, he scored a goal. Although this goal was from a free kick, he showed desire and determination when getting in the box, and his finishing was better than that showed by the rest of our strikers.

In regards to Henry, the second goal originated from a brilliant move of his, where he had the whole defence waiting for him to dribble or pass to the box, to later surprisingly pass the ball to the right flank, where eventually Theo grabbed the ball and the rest is history. He also shielded the ball better than RvP.

maxxspeed

Frankly I am not surprise by the performance of Arsenal. Everybody knew that D.Z. was an inferior team to Arsenal, and their was know way in hell that D.Z. was going to get three goals against Arsenal.

I won't pass judgement on their performance tonight. We still won and we play poorly.

Gort

Almunia - 5: Really should have saved that goal, but I won't give him the blame for what was a defender's blunder.

Eboue - 6: Played reasonably, although nothing special.

Toure - 5: Not as good as he usually is and his one blunder led to the opposition's goal. Still, he played OK despite that.

Djourou - 3: Too many mistakes that nearly cost us.

Hoyte - 5: Another so-so performance from Hoyte. Maybe it's just that he's young and needs time to fit in, but I hope it's quick. Remember, Toure when he first was put in defence made some howlers... and still occasionally does them now. ;) However, I still think we should have started with Flamini in Hoyte's position with Gilberto where Flamini was put today.

Hleb - 3: Sorry, I usually like Hleb and the way he plays, but that was a terrible performance. Gave the ball away in dangerous positions and didn't really create much if anything. BTW, Hleb, try taking a shot when you have clear sight of goal with not much other options on the cards, it just might help. Still, despite the rant, I think this is probably a one game blip... I hope it is.

Flamini - 6: Scored the goal, otherwise he would have got a five. I do think that some here are blaming him too much for his game today. I don't think he was invisible as such, I just think he was let down by Fabregas and Hleb. Still, could do better, but at least he was in the right place at the right time to finish home that great Walcott assist right at the end.

Fabregas - 5: Not the player we usually see. Gave the ball away and didn't really provide much. Pity, I'm a fan of his, but not on today's performance.

Ljungberg - 6: Scored and worked energetically. Wasn't as potent as he usually is, despite the goal, but I suppose lacking Henry tends to mean he has less space to play with.

Van Persie - 7 (MotM): Was so-so for some of the game, but did come up with some neat tricks that nearly pulled out goals from the magician's hat. I'm not a Van Persie fanboy, but I can see good play when it happens. Not a magical performance, but a good one nonetheless.

Adebayor - 4: I really do appreciate Adebayor's game play and do think he adds to the team, but today, even I have to say he was quite bad. The one he missed he had so much time to take in order to make his shot hit the target. Still, OK, players miss goals, but he really did mess up on his touch and didn't really provide much. I do think he can improve and am really a fan of him, but he really has to look at himself today and see this as a lesson in not how to play.

Subs:

Henry - 6: Did lift the team and added to it, particularly for our second goal. Not a Henry performance, but it still lifted the team to take the game seriously.

Gilberto - 7: Good introduction and when introduced, the team really began to pull its socks up. Just shows how much we rely on him.

Walcott - 7: Came up with the assist to win us the match and was damn lively for the shortish spell he was on the pitch. Hate the fact that he got a yellow card for being onside. ;) Really, I was wondering last season if this lad was overhyped, but maybe my scepticism can take a backseat for a while. Good show and all that jazz.

go49oner

Established Member
can be asked to right the full rating of everyone but i would give most of the players a 6 .in whole it was poor performance by the boys. reminded me of the bloton/blackburn & everton games from last year.

i dont like singling out player but i really don't think addy should start the next few game. in my eyes his been nothing but wast of space.

and on off note how long left for clichy to come back from his injury. i dont like the sight of hoyte at left back. he make the whole of the back 4 very vulnerable at time.

Lukazan

Established Member
Bare in mind my Sky kept cutting off due to the weather so these ratings might be slightly erratic..

Almunia - 6
Eboue - 6
Djourou - 6
Toure - 6
Hoyte - 6
Hleb - 6
Fabregas - 6
Flamini - 6
Ljungberg - 6
RVP - 7
Adebayor - 5

PaulDavis

Starting 11s

Almunia - 5
Eboue - 6
Toure - 6
Djourou - 6
Hoyte - 6
Flamini - 6
Fabregas - 5
Hleb - 5
Ljungberg - 6
Adebayor - 5
Van Persie - 7

Subs

Henry - 6
Gilberto - 6
Walcott - 6

ASkergonan

i think djourou was a bit left out to dry on this one. i don't know where kolo's mind was, but it clearly wasn't on this match. i think djourou did a admirable job covering his kolo's ass. adebayor's finishing remains VERY suspect, and he should NEVER be playing instead of a fit RVP. overall: i am glad that people will shut the hell up not seeing walcott play (his direct attacking style is just the thing to kick start our offense, btw.)

Almunia 6
Hoyte 6
Djourou 6.5
Kolo 4.5
Eboue 5.5
Fred 6
Cesc 5
Flamini 6.5
Hleb 5
Adebayor 4.5
RVP 7

Gilberto 8 MOTM
Henry 6
Walcott 7

phenn

It seems to me that Walcott provides what i was hoping Quincy would provide last year and thought Ryan Smith might provide this year: Some direct play with pace on the wings. Off the bench, it changes our look very nicely.

Agree with everything else said here.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
it changes our look, but he should come on a bit earlier than the 81st minute when we aren't winning... gives him a bit more time to be a factor...

having said that, he was a factor tonight with his assist on the winning goal.. been pleasantly surprised by the lad so far..

jay-d

Established Member
Almunia - 5 - Not good enough
Eboue - 6 - Did OK, needs more cover when he gets forward
Toure - 5 - Not like the big man at all
Djourou - 6 - Felt he has been harshly treated was made to look bad by Kolo and Cesc twice.
Hoyte - 4 - Don't think he's good enough
Flamini - 5 - Again not convinced he can be adequate backup for Gil, awful at timing slide tackles and will pick up many reds if he plays in the middle reguarly.
Fabregas - 5 - Well below par, too lax on a few occasion
Hleb - 5 - Again well below his best looked a pub player with some of his passes and really needs to stay wide made Eboue look bad a few times.
Ljungberg - 6 - Grafted all night, still not a winger though.
Adebayor - 5 - Mixed bag, not sure if I rate him. Needs to fix up with his shooting.
Van Persie - 7 - Good few touches, but on the edge of the game too much.

Subs

Henry - 6.5
Gilberto - 6.5
Walcott - 6.5

gangess

Hleb was terrible and deserve a 4, it looked as if he'd borrowed gilberto's boots. I really like the guy but tonight he needlessly gave the ball away on numerous occasions one of them leading to the first goal. Apart from that I'll give the rest of the team a 6.

henry79

ratings

Almunia: 6 could have done better for their goal

Eboue: 5 has to improve difensively

Toure: 6

Djourou: 5

Hoyte: 6 was ok although gives us nothing going forward.

Hleb: 3 worst player on the pitch gives the ball away too much and why oh why doesnt he shoot once he is around the box.

Flamini: 6

Fabregas: 6 not his best game

Ljunberg: 7

Vanpersie: 8 MoM for me he was the only player that was trying something and he shoots once he is in the box instead of overpassing

Adebayor: 5 not good enough for arsenal he is not even good in the job that he is suposedly was boaght for his first touch is awful and he is also too iratic
I have seen enough of him which tells me he will not make it at arsenal.

Subs:
Henry: 6

Gilberto: 6

Walcott: 6

Gooner83

Almunia - 6 (ok)
Eboue - 6.5 (Good forward runs)
Toure - 6 (Not his best game, fault for the goal)
Djourou - 5 (Poor passing looked shakey)
Hoyte - 6 (Bad passing, looks our fittest player)
Flamini - 7 (Solid)
Fabregas - 6 (Needs a rest, ineffectual)
Hleb - 3 (Awful, one of those nights no width!)
Ljungberg - 8 (Always fight, got goal)
Adebayor - 5 (Couldn't get on much squandered easy chance)
Van Persie - 7.5 (Best player first half, sublime skills)

Subs

Henry - 6 (No impact, looks unfit)
Gilberto - 7 (Rock)
Walcott - 7 (Lightening, great supersub)

chamouz

seriously ... you all have your ratings right ...but sometimes ratings means not so much ...
That's true i was disapointed by the lads ... not because they were not playing their magical football finally because it's going like this since we lost our 49 unbeaten run ... i was more disapointed because the lads get kicked and punched like it was a bolton ,blackburn or totenham game without reply ....the kind of game where the opposite side get the upper hand by kicking a physically weak team ...
from what i've seen i've said to myself ...f***ck it's gonna be the same season where we lose by getting kicked ... the worst was that i was starting to think there's a kind of curse for our stricker in this new stadium ... but i was wrong the lads didnt gave up they up their game they kicked back ..(i loved the fabregas pretending to be kicked when he kicked back) because its gonna be like this this season ...arsenal don't lose by playing football, arsenal lose when other team play kick ball .... they need to answer back to the physical game of the premiership and tonight they showed they can do it same at the last minute ...that's still great ... i'm proud of the boys because they won tonight not with great football or 5 on 10 score ...they just won ... theo show some great hope ...hoyte a bit less but when he get confidence at the end he was much better ...
Look at the team wenger put on the pitch tonight ...it was more like a "espoir" team or reserve at the best ...but still they are al coming from a very heavy season with the world cup and everything ...
to finish for me this season will show not how arsenal can win with magic football but more ...how arsenal can win when they don't play a so magical football ... that's what we need to be champion again ... i give a 7 to all the team tonight because they won and because they were all crap and all brilliant sometimes ... (more crap) but they won ...as a team ...in our new stadium ... i'm relieved ...

Mark

Established Member
Almunia - 6 - should've done better on their goal, but was otherwise decent.

Eboue - 6.5

Hoyte - 5 - looks well off the pace, in my opinion, despite his best efforts.

Toure - 6

Djourou 5.5 - finally shown that he's young and will put in the occasional display like tonight.

Freddie - 6.5

Hleb - 5.5 - largely ineffective in pretty much everything he did, and needs to shoot once every hundred years.

Flamini - 6.5 - decent performance, nice goal, great celebration.

Fabregas - 6 - not one of his better games.

Adebayor - 6

Van Persie - 7 - very lively, deserves to start more often.

Henry - 6

Gilberto - 6

Walcott - 6

RC8

Established Member
chamouz said:
seriously ... you all have your ratings right ...but sometimes ratings means not so much ...
That's true i was disapointed by the lads ... not because they were not playing their magical football finally because it's going like this since we lost our 49 unbeaten run ... i was more disapointed because the lads get kicked and punched like it was a bolton ,blackburn or totenham game without reply ....the kind of game where the opposite side get the upper hand by kicking a physically weak team ...
from what i've seen i've said to myself ...f***ck it's gonna be the same season where we lose by getting kicked ... the worst was that i was starting to think there's a kind of curse for our stricker in this new stadium ... but i was wrong the lads didnt gave up they up their game they kicked back ..(i loved the fabregas pretending to be kicked when he kicked back) because its gonna be like this this season ...arsenal don't lose by playing football, arsenal lose when other team play kick ball .... they need to answer back to the physical game of the premiership and tonight they showed they can do it same at the last minute ...that's still great ... i'm proud of the boys because they won tonight not with great football or 5 on 10 score ...they just won ... theo show some great hope ...hoyte a bit less but when he get confidence at the end he was much better ...
Look at the team wenger put on the pitch tonight ...it was more like a "espoir" team or reserve at the best ...but still they are al coming from a very heavy season with the world cup and everything ...
to finish for me this season will show not how arsenal can win with magic football but more ...how arsenal can win when they don't play a so magical football ... that's what we need to be champion again ... i give a 7 to all the team tonight because they won and because they were all crap and all brilliant sometimes ... (more crap) but they won ...as a team ...in our new stadium ... i'm relieved ...

I agree, the team kept battling until the end, when we could have easily surrendered. We did not "need" to win except for confidence purposes, but the team was up for it and gave the supporters a great night. Shame on those who left early and missed the last goal.

I can't quite understand why Flamini can't make himself more noticeable during the game. He can tackle, he can attack, and he can score, but somehow he stays at some point where he can't do all of the above well enough. I think he is technically gifted, and hopefully he'll have a future withh us.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

There were cardinal sins commited by Toure , Fab in particular around our backline. So much mucking around in defence. Flamini just needs to read the game more . I have faith in him because his mental strength is such he can overcome whatever problematic areas he has to be a more than decent player. RVP was per usual above ordinary . I think his partnership with Henry will be a good one . One likes to hang around the right and the other likes to hang around the left. Walcott -what a superb off the ball run , destroyed the off side trap . Too bad the linesmans brain cannot work as fast as Walcotts feet.

Arsenal Quotes

When I arrived, an Arsenal share was worth £800; it subsequently rose continuously in value and by the time I left it stood at £17,000.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom