• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Player Ratings - PL: Arsenal vs Wigan | 06/12/08

ricky1985

Established Member
Re: Arsenal vs Wigan - Player Ratings

Klaus Daimler said:
ricky: I wasn't slagging him the slightest. I just used him as a prime example of the biasis in SimplyFabregas' judgement of players. Whenever Cesc is having a howler he's still a great player, but when Denilson is doing really well it's because he's mediocre and just manages to raise his game for one isolated game. When Denilson is doing not so well, though, he's immediately average, bad, not good enough and pointless. It doesn't add up.

No, sorry mate. I think I'm just pissed of at the whole Eboue-gate thing. I just feel for Fabregas at the moment. He isnt surrounded by the quality his talent deserves.

arsenalfc0719

Established Member

Almunia 7
Sagna 5
Touré 5
Djourou 6
Clichy 4
Denilson 6
Fabregas 6
Song 4
Nasri 4
Van Persie 6
Adebayor 6

Eboue 4
Man United **** 1

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Big Poppa said:
You weren't the only to notice it, but there was no movement ahead of him to pass the ball.
There was a scene in the last five minutes. I think Clichy got the ball and looked for Eboue. Two Wigan players immediately closed down Clichy. For some reason, Eboue wasn't an option in Clichy's assessment so in that split second he turned with the ball to his right and looked for holding midfield. Song was nowhere near Clichy either (I've raised this a few times on Song). Clichy turned to his goal side and tried to back pass. Only Valencia and another Wigan player successfully lobbed the ball off Clichy. Sometimes I feel the wide pitch of Emirates might be disadvatagous for a slow player like Song (maybe I should say less pacey :roll:). As a holding midfielder, Song needs to timely deliver a larger coverage in attacking and defending.

asajoseph

Established Member

Big Poppa said:
asajoseph said:
Almunia - 7 - One feeble punch was the only blemish on what was otherwise a pretty solid performance, which included one outstanding save.

Clichy - 3 - Absolute shocker - gave the ball away trying to dribble up the flank again and again and again. Can't believe I'm the only one to notice this, but it's pretty obvious that Wigan spotted this ploy very early on.

Djourou - 6 - Solid, though occasionally shakey in his distribution. Not a lot of help from the midfield.

Touré - 6 - As above.

Sagna - 6 - As above, though got a lot more from Denilson than anyone got on the left hand side.

Nasri - 5 - Poor before he was fouled - couldn't provide any spark, and didn't find any space.

Cesc - 6 - A bit too static, and very profligate with some of his passing, but that was offset by a couple of sensational balls to create chances for the forwards

Song - 5 - Up and down. Some very solid moments, and won some good battles in midfield. Static though off the ball, and occasionally wasteful in posession.

Denilson - 7 - My MOTM today (GASP!). Without playing exceptionally well (nobody did), he was much better with his distribution than normal, and covered Sagna well at times. Good movement off the ball, though not enough of it to make up for a midfield that wouldn't run.

Adebayor - 6 - Took his goal well, and some good movement up front. Didn't really have much in the way of options when he found himself isolated though.

Van Persie - 7 - Bright and busy, and always looking for the ball. Should have done much better with Cesc's pass, but was in general our most dangerous looking player.

Subs:

Eboue - 4 - A couple of bright runs, but didn't even make any effort to help out the defence, and was incredibly wasteful towards the end. Not much more needs to be said.
You weren't the only to notice it, but there was no movement ahead of him to pass the ball.

Doesn't excuse a defender constantly dribbling into traffic though. The Toure-esque long balls annoy the hell out of me, but they're a hell of a lot better than seeing him give it away on the half-way line.

asajoseph

Established Member

ricky1985 said:
Klaus Daimler said:
SimplyFabregas said:
By having a decent, maybe even good performance, he showed everyone he isnt an average player. :? There's been many an average player who have had good games every once in a while, when he does it week in, week out he might just convince people he isnt average, until then, the tag still sticks.
He was at least a class above your boyfriend today. You're just hating. He's been having a bunch of games like this one this season. It's really not my fault that you can't see that.

Fabregas was absoutely outstanding in patches today.
He absolutely was.

I think overall that Denilson played better, because he was much more consistent, but Cesc showed several times his capability to play passes that nobody else in our midfield can with any regularity.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐

Cesc's ball to RVP was fantastic...but he still does seem to be playing within himself. He's one of the few players though that can change utterly the face of a game with one killer ball. God knows we have few enough players like that.

Was actually quite impressed with Densilon today. Didn't fall down like a fairy as he has done under any resemblence of a challenge, rode some of the tougher ones quite well and drove on. Played some good balls forward rather than sideways and actually looked to shoot (and was damn unlucky to hit the post, deserved a goal)

And Asa how are you give Clichy a 3 - Gael is immunce from criticism and any such rating again would see you tarred and feathered...

That said I rated the backline as solid enough. Manny had to make one clear cut save, Wigan didnt create that much to be fair - although Toure was outmuscled by Heskey almost every time

dutchMasta

Almunia 7 (Solid)
Sagna 7 (Solid)
Touré 5 (Shaky)
Djourou 6 (Decent)
Clichy 5 (Lost the ball a lot but defensively better)
Denilson 6.5 (Some good moments)
Fabregas 6.5 (Some nice passes)
Song 6 (Fine)
Nasri 5 (Nothing special until injury)
Van Persie 7 (Positive attacking, won corners and was always a handful for them)
Adebayor 7 (Won a lot of flicks and aerial battles, kept the ball well and linked up)

Eboue 4 (Shaky start, then got into it, but then just lost it. Doesn't deserve the boos, it's been a while since his injury, but have to say he was pretty poor)

Glad we got the 3 points, we didn't exactly dominate the midfield, and we're probably never going to like we used to, with the current crop, but hopefully we can hold out til January to strengthen that area.

Arsenal Quotes

If you love football, you love Tomáš Rosický

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom