• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League 2016/17 season

Where will Arsenal finish this season?

• Total voters

vantoure

Not chance conversion but wastefulness in the final 3rd - I'm unable to show a screenshot (anybody that can help please advise how I go about it) from yesterday's game that highlights what I mean. It was the moment when we had a 4 on 1, Iwobi passed to Theo and he cut back the ball to no one - that should have been a great goal scoring opportunity but we didn't even test the keeper.

Ramsey's shot is another example. We get good possession in dangerous areas but nothing comes of it because it's a poor cross, a wayward pass, a woeful shot or we turn it over in some way. Wenger has alluded to it on several occasions. We're crap at converting fast break opportunities - we remember the ones that we have scored on but we waste an awful lot. It mostly comes down to poor decision making. Özil, Sanchez & maybe Giroud (Santi also but he's playing deeper now) are probably the only players I'd trust to make the right call in the final 3rd.

Maybe because we have the ball so often in our opponents final 3rd we don't utilise it as best as we can because we know we'll have another shot soon. Against the better teams though it always comes back to haunt us.
I see what you're saying now, and I agree. I remember the walcott scenario and how I yelled at the screen, he really should have played it in front of the keeper and c caused chaos instead of cutting back.

the ramsey shot was also really annoying as we could have spread the ball n look to cross in.

that said, I think some of those moments happen with other teams as well, we just notice when he have a disappointing game like sundays.

I must say that Chelsea and Liverpool worry me though... What I would give for a victory at old trafford

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Too early to talk about the title...we need to keep within reach of the hunting pack till February or so and then go on a run. Drawing to Tottenham isn't a game that I'll use to write off our chances. Maybe a loss/draw to Utd will make me more pessimistic, but I feel that this years Utd are there for the taking.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
I see what you're saying now, and I agree. I remember the walcott scenario and how I yelled at the screen, he really should have played it in front of the keeper and c caused chaos instead of cutting back.

the ramsey shot was also really annoying as we could have spread the ball n look to cross in.

that said, I think some of those moments happen with other teams as well, we just notice when he have a disappointing game like sundays.

I must say that Chelsea and Liverpool worry me though... What I would give for a victory at old trafford
Wenger's great teams didn't waste opportunities to threaten the goal like his latest ones do imo.

You're right though about the other teams, however, I remember on several occasions last season Wenger alluding to just this point and it's something I feel this team needs to address. Too many nearly moments.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Wenger's great teams didn't waste opportunities to threaten the goal like his latest ones do imo.

You're right though about the other teams, however, I remember on several occasions last season Wenger alluding to just this point and it's something I feel this team needs to address. Too many nearly moments.
The 6-0 against Ludegorets needs to be replicated in the league to up our GD. It's a little behind the other three at the mo, you're right.

Up the conversion rate and the league will take care of itself.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
What's worrying is that we have a much harder second half of season than last year. The majority of difficult games on spring are away.

In terms of table standings/points, the situation is not too different from last year at this stage

https://www.premierleague.com/tables?co=1&se=42&mw=1-11&ha=-1

We had 25 points, on 2nd spot equal to City in 1st.
We now sit at 4th with a point less.

But look at the progress that Pool have made. They had 17 pts compared to 26 they have now.
Chelsea had 11, compared to 25 now.

So since the regular teams are not dropping points like last year, I believe it will be quite difficult for us to keep momentum, but I have big hopes of a very strong season.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

The 6-0 against Ludegorets needs to be replicated in the league to up our GD. It's a little behind the other three at the mo, you're right.

Up the conversion rate and the league will take care of itself.
The conversion rate is actually good, the best in the league last time I checked. It's the chance creation that is lacking.

So many errors in our build up that stifle our attacks. There was one counter we had where it looked like Theo was trying his best to let Sp**s get back into shape.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

What's worrying is that we have a much harder second half of season than last year. The majority of difficult games on spring are away.

In terms of table standings/points, the situation is not too different from last year at this stage

We now sit at 4th wit a point less.

But look at the progress that Pool have made. They had 17 pts compared to 26 they have now.

So since the regular teams are not dropping points like last year, I believe it will be quite difficult for us to keep momentum, but I have big hopes of a very strong season.
Tbh I don't have faith in us winning it. I think this might be the first year we're a legitimate challenger but I'm still not 100% sure of that.

The tactical switch-up has changed a lot of minds but I see it in black and white. We needed another top forward and we didn't get one. Özil and Theo are giving it a good go but is it sustainable? Our title 'challenge' depends on it.

We haven't had a performance in the league where I've been like "Damn, these guys could do it". We've struggled against teams who set up to defend and have been horrid at home. We smashed Chelsea but just like against United last year it was due to their tactical mistakes and despite the flattering scoreline we all agreed we could have done much more.

Our rivals have much higher peaks than we do, can we win the league with the slow and steady approach? I don't know tbh.

JENSON_GUNNER

We now sit at 4th wit a point less.

Seems like away games suit our current set up. Let's hope the players don't give up like some of us have.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I feel like we should have shifted the ox and brought in a real attacking player of high quality. Perez is OK but nowhere near Worldclass. We needed another forward in the özil,alexis bracket. We sometimes lack the extra quality and i think that will cost us in the end.
We were well in for Mahrez over the summer. For whatever reason it never happened. We brought in a versatile forward in Perez instead who unfortunately is out injured.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Exactly.

Often think I'm one of the more negative ones around here but then we fail to win a game and the whole place goes absolutely mental. Wenger is useless, Ox needs to be sold, drop Iwobi, bring back Giroud, new formation needed etc.
I definitely think you look to learn from that result. And it's right to ask those questions but without over reacting. We play United next and they will play exactly the same if not worse than Sp**s. Positively thinking about changes is fine. We're still on a long unbeaten streak more is going for us than against us.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
We're very lucky that the game against Utd is away. If Moronho parks the bus at home he'll get some major stick from the utd fans.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

The conversion rate is actually good, the best in the league last time I checked. It's the chance creation that is lacking.

So many errors in our build up that stifle our attacks. There was one counter we had where it looked like Theo was trying his best to let Sp**s get back into shape.
Forgot to add.

The big concern is that our chance conversion rate is unsustainable. Unless we go on a record breaking season we are going to average out at around 20% which means we're likely to go through a period of subpar conversion.

Combine that with our poor chance creation and you have a recipe for disaster.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Forgot to add.

The big concern is that our chance conversion rate is unsustainable. Unless we go on a record breaking season we are going to average out at around 20% which means we're likely to go through a period of subpar conversion.

That's true but don't we look a more rounded team in terms overall performance than the other two teams people are talking up.
IMG_0331.JPG

skip spence

Forgot to add.

A hopeful interpretation is that we are trying to walk the ball in (in true Arsenal fashion) which would result in fewer 'chances created' since we take fewer shots from ouside but also a higher conversion rate because the shots we do take are from good positions.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

A hopeful interpretation is that we are trying to walk the ball in (in true Arsenal fashion) which would result in fewer 'chances created' since we take fewer shots from ouside but also a higher conversion rate because the shots we do take are from good positions.
Confirmed by the stat that we have the second most touches in the opposition box in the EPL.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
However, if you eyeball the Middlesbrough & Sp*rs matches we didn't create nearly enough and very little in that killer zone we like so much.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
We simply dont have a player like Santi in the middle, and our performances are lacking because of it. He can create and score goals, he can make something happen on his own. Ox, Xhaka & Elneny are very good at what they do but we need a CAM. Ramsey cant be trusted to do it, partly due to injuries and partly because he lacks control. Jack may be able to do it but he's not an option right now. Ox has played there before and Wenger always said he would play in the middle but for me he doesn't have the touch or control. Like Ramsey he loses it too much.

Basically without Santi we have to carry on as we are and hope that Iwobi, Ox and Ramsey, improve their finishing. They all get chances but struggle to hit the target let along score.

Arsenal Quotes

At some clubs success is accidental. At Arsenal it is compulsory.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom