• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League 2018/19: The Fight for a CL Spot

Where do you foresee us finishing this season?

• Total voters

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
The Europa League winners are entitled to a Champions League spot as of right.

So too are the Champions League winners.

And the EPL are entitled to 4 CL spots.

Any league however, is entitled to a maximum of 5 spots in the CL.

Liverpool and City have already assured themselves spots, via the League.

Assuming Sp**s will also win one via the league, then the PL will be entitled to a 4th league based spot.

Assuming Arsenal and Chelsea finish in 4th and 5th (in either order), then both will take the final two CL spots.

Assume Chelsea and Arsenal reach the EL final.

If Chelsea have finished 4th, but Arsenal win the EL, Arsenal qualify via the EL and Chelsea via the league.

If Arsenal finish 4th, and Chelsea win EL, Chelsea qualify via the EL, and Arsenal via the league.

However, if Arsenal finish 5th, and Chelsea win the EL, Chelsea qualify via the EL, and Arsenal take the 4th league based CL spot.

If Chelsea finish 5th, and Arsenal win EL, both clubs go through again.

So right now, Arsenal fans need Arsenal and Chelsea to win the EL semi finals. If both get to the final, and both finish top 5, both go to CL next year.

We need City to batter United, and United/Chelsea draw.

Would be nice if both clubs went to the EL knowing they were going to CL next year no matter what the result

You wrote all that and still got it wrong.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
The Europa League winners are entitled to a Champions League spot as of right.

So too are the Champions League winners.

And the EPL are entitled to 4 CL spots.

Any league however, is entitled to a maximum of 5 spots in the CL.

Liverpool and City have already assured themselves spots, via the League.

Assuming Sp**s will also win one via the league, then the PL will be entitled to a 4th league based spot.

Assuming Arsenal and Chelsea finish in 4th and 5th (in either order), then both will take the final two CL spots, if both get to the EL final.

Assume Chelsea and Arsenal reach the EL final.

If Chelsea have finished 4th, but Arsenal win the EL, Arsenal qualify via the EL and Chelsea via the league.

If Arsenal finish 4th, and Chelsea win EL, Chelsea qualify via the EL, and Arsenal via the league.

However, if Arsenal finish 5th, and Chelsea win the EL, Chelsea qualify via the EL, and Arsenal take the 4th league based CL spot.

If Chelsea finish 5th, and Arsenal win EL, both clubs go through again.

So right now, Arsenal fans need Arsenal and Chelsea to win the EL semi finals. If both get to the final, and both finish top 5, both go to CL next year.

We need City to batter United, and United/Chelsea draw.

Would be nice if both clubs went to the EL knowing they were going to CL next year no matter what the result

Can't imagine that being true. Who told you that, Mustafi?

rockofcashel

You wrote all that and still got it wrong.

Really. Would you care to explain what was wrong.

Here's how it works:

Who qualifies for UEFA competitions[edit]

From the 2015–16 season, the various permutations allow for a maximum of five English clubs to qualify for the UEFA Champions League and five for the UEFA Europa League.[1]From the 2018-19 season, the top four clubs in Europe's four highest ranked leagues will qualify directly to the group stages.[2] These leagues are currently England, Germany, Italy, and Spain.

The minimum quota is for four English clubs to qualify for the UEFA Champions League and three for the UEFA Europa League.

So that allows for 5 clubs to go to Champions League:

If Arsenal or Chelsea, play in the Europa League final, the winner of that final will win the spot allocated to the Europa League winner, and the fourth English spot will be taken by the loser, assuming that Liverpool and Sp**s have already qualified by winning the CL or via their league position.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Really. Would you care to explain what was wrong.

Here's how it works:

Who qualifies for UEFA competitions[edit]

From the 2015–16 season, the various permutations allow for a maximum of five English clubs to qualify for the UEFA Champions League and five for the UEFA Europa League.[1]From the 2018-19 season, the top four clubs in Europe's four highest ranked leagues will qualify directly to the group stages.[2] These leagues are currently England, Germany, Italy, and Spain.

The minimum quota is for four English clubs to qualify for the UEFA Champions League and three for the UEFA Europa League.

So that allows for 5 clubs to go to Champions League:

If Arsenal or Chelsea, play in the Europa League final, the winner of that final will win the spot allocated to the Europa League winner, and the fourth English spot will be taken by the loser, assuming that Liverpool and Sp**s have already qualified by winning the CL or via their league position.

"Allow" as in if we 5th, and win the EL, we get CL. If we however lose, we won't. The loser doesn't get a spot, how do you figure that out?

rockofcashel

"Allow" as in if we 5th, and win the EL, we get CL. If we however lose, we won't. The loser doesn't get a spot, how do you figure that out?

If we win the Europa League, then no matter where we finish, we go straight to Champions League, and the first four English teams get the four spots allocated for the EPL.

If however we finish 5th, and Chelsea finish 4th, and Chelsea win the Europa League, Chelsea will qualify for Champions League as a consequence of winning the Europa League, meaning the next best team (5th place), will take the final of the four allocated places for the EPL.

Vice versa if Chelsea finish 5th and Arsenal 4th but Arsenal winning the EL.

Basically if Arsenal and Chelsea qualify for the EL final, and in the top 5, then they'll both qualify for next years CL.

The fly in the ointment would be Man United finishing 5th. If that happens, then whoever won an Arsenal/Chelsea EL final would get the EL spot, while United would be the next best EPL qualifier, if the EL winner finished 4th

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
If however we finish 5th, and Chelsea finish 4th, and Chelsea win the Europa League, Chelsea will qualify for Champions League as a consequence of winning the Europa League, meaning the next best team (5th place), will take the final of the four allocated places for the EPL.
That's not true. If that happened, only City/Liverpool/Sp**s/Chelsea would qualify for the CL. The 5th team rule is only for EL winners outside the top 4.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
If we win the Europa League, then no matter where we finish, we go straight to Champions League, and the first four English teams get the four spots allocated for the EPL.

Vice versa if Chelsea finish 5th and Arsenal 4th but Arsenal winning the EL.

Basically if Arsenal and Chelsea qualify for the EL final, and in the top 5, then they'll both qualify for next years CL.

The fly in the ointment would be Man United finishing 5th. If that happens, then whoever won an Arsenal/Chelsea EL final would get the EL spot, while United would be the next best EPL qualifier, if the EL winner finished 4th
Wrong. Maximum of 5 EPL teams allowed does not mean they will always accommodate 5 teams. Any team finishing outside top 4 can qualify for CL only by winning CL/EL.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Where do the rules say that?

from UEFA:

What if the winners have already qualified via their domestic league?

If the UEFA Europa League winners qualify for the group stage via their domestic league, the third-placed team of the fifth-ranked association (France) enter the group stage. This happened last season: UEFA Europa League winners Atlético Madrid qualified via their domestic league so Lyon, third in France, entered in the group stage.

So France will benefit if Chelsea finish 4th and win Europa, not us.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Depends on Chelsea’s results. Our games after Wednesday do ease up a lot imo.

We’re almost needing Utd to do us a massive favour next week but you never know.

United are a spent force. City will thrash them & end their faint top 4 hopes.

They'll have no incentive to win next Sunday.

Manberg

Predator
I really want to win the Europa League. It's huge and glamorous it really should be the #1 priority. We should try to finish in the top 4 but we're in the semi finals of Europa that's got to come first. People need to appreciate it more. We'll remember winning that trophy for decades to come.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

I really want to win the Europa League. It's huge and glamorous it really should be the #1 priority. We should try to finish in the top 4 but we're in the semi finals of Europa that's got to come first. People need to appreciate it more. We'll remember winning that trophy for decades to come.

Same. I want us to get back to the Champions League in style. Rejuvenated. Rebuilt. More confident. Triumphant.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I'm in it to win it. But fcuk the Europa League seriously.

Much rather we win the FA cup.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I'm in it to win it. But fcuk the Europa League seriously.

Much rather we win the FA cup.
There is no logic in that. Id take winning the Europa finishing third going back into the Europa and winning it again. Obviously id prefer us to run to the CL final but i dont think we are there yet.

HomeSteak

Established Member
United are a spent force. City will thrash them & end their faint top 4 hopes.

They'll have no incentive to win next Sunday.

Well that's not true. United will not worry about us. They can lose to City and not worry at all, as we will lose to Wolves. They have to worry about Chelsea and beating them on the weekend. They will make Top 4 if they beat Chelsea, 100% - even if they lose to City.

By this time next week we would have lost to both Watford and Leicester and top 4 will be done for us.
Next monday morning we will either be 6 points behind Chelsea in 5th place- if they beat United. Or 3 points behind Chelsea and 1 point behind United in 6th place.

The palace result has ended us. My bet is(and has been for a month now) on Chelsea getting 4th. They will win all the games they have left and **** us over in the Europa League final as well. Hazard master class.

Last edited:

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
There is no logic in that. Id take winning the Europa finishing third going back into the Europa and winning it again. Obviously id prefer us to run to the CL final but i dont think we are there yet.
I think the Europa League is meaningless mediocrity. And wanting to win it is accepting mediocrity.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal is in my blood as well as my heart. I will always, always, always remember you guys. I said I was going to be a Gooner for life and I did not lie because when you are a Gooner, you will always be a Gooner. This club is in my heart and will remain in my heart forever.

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom