• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Rio Mavuba

Mckenna

Jameel46 said:
he's a very good player but with Gilberto, Diaby, Denilson, & Song at the club competing to play alongside Cesc, Mavuba really wouldn't have got many games
I think you need to be careful with those kinds of assumptions. I would argue Song isn't good enough to be considered it that list of players, first. Second, Both Diaby and Denilson are better attacking players than they are defensive players. Denilson reminds me of Cesc, not Gilberto. Similarly, I think Diaby has it in him to be a Vieira, but not a Gilberto. With Flamini leaving, I would argue there remains a DM spot open because the depth behind Gilberto is shaky at best.

Similarly, you're assuming that Mavuba won't be able to warrant games on his own merits. He's a classy player and with the right motivation (ie the Euros) on the line, he could have a great season, usurping the others and taking the spot for himself. You do remember how Lehmann suddenly got better because he was motivated, right?

The fact that he's making those statements regarding us suggests that we're very much interested and, given Wenger's track record of talking people into things, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up ours before long. Just my opinion though...

belgianfan

I don't like the media linking us to so many DM. This guy and zapata recentley too.
Could this mean Gilberto could leave this summer...

Mckenna

belgianfan said:
I don't like the media linking us to so many DM. This guy and zapata recentley too.
Could this mean Gilberto could leave this summer...
Has been some suggestion as to him going to Juventus. I wouldn't (necessarily) be upset with that, *providing* we get a suitable replacement (and it cannot be someone who's going to grow into the role).

It's unlikely that Gilberto is leaving, though. He's really important to the team and seems to enjoy life at Arsenal. That said he's likely to have a 30-and-over contract problem soon and may move to Italy for a longer deal.

I can't deny that I'd love to see William Gallas if Bert leaving was announced. His head would probably explode.

Glovegun

Established Member
Maybe we should just sign every Frenchman under about 23, it would obviously save time. In all seriousness though the sheer amount of French/ french-speaking youngsters we are linked to is staggering: Briand, Bodmer, Makoun, Mavuba, Gouffran, Sunu, Pele, Piquionne, Mousillou, Faubert etc etc. Is it just people putting 2 and 2 together and making 5?

Paddy from Sweden

I would say the article leans towards Mavuba saying Arsenal isn't a realistic option due to the many central midfielders we've got on our books.

Grampus_Eight

I've only seen him a few times, but I think he is a solid DM with a good deal of bite and energy on the pitch.

Unlike, Rio Mavuba and most forum members - I think we need cover at DM.
If Gilberto went down for a significant period we'd be - in my opinion - in trouble as Flamini for all his limitations and tactical deficiencies was the best replacement and is now off.

For me, the problem is that Cesc needs to partner with a DM of some sort because he simply isn't a good enough athlete or a good enough defender (yet) not to have someone playing behind him and covering the back four.

As for what we have:

Diaby isn't at DM at all. Denilson doesn't look one either - so far more of a Cesc clone, or as Arsène said, much more of an attacking player than he thought a cross between Rosicky and Gilberto (which might = Cesc depending upon your calculation). Song doesn't look ready.

Personally, I think we might want to go for more of an enforcer or hatchet man type which from the extremely limited amount I've seen of him (a couple of matches) might be someone like Lorik Cana - who also has the additional benefit of size and strength in the air.

But with L'OM headed to the Champions League next season - they likely won't want to part with their future captain and supporters favourite.

Arsenal Quotes

When I first came to Arsenal, I realised the back four were all university graduates in the art of defending. As for Tony Adams, I consider him to be a doctor of defence. He is simply outstanding.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom