• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sebastian Rode

Floating

Established Member
This football journalist said a couple of nice things about him:

Ross Dunbar ‏@rossdunbar93
Eintracht Frankfurt's Sebastian Rode linked with Arsenal this morning. Quality player. One of the best passers in the league, for me.
Ross Dunbar ‏@rossdunbar93
Sebastian Rode is fantastic. He is a younger Schweinsteiger. Lovely short passing and sits ahead of back-four.

leo_ense

Established Member
That journalist is also 19 years old...just saying. Back on topic though, I'm intrigued by Rode and what I've heard from others. Any bundesliga followers provide some more info and how he would compare to someone like Gonalons?

eye4goal

Established Member
I've seen their last 2 games, and he doesn't sit infront of the back-four but plays ahead of a more defensive CM(Schwegler). Rode would be more of an improvement on Ramsey rather than an Arteta replacement. We still need a more physical CM like Gonalons. Maybe we're looking at two players in midfield

pg1989

eye4goal said:
I've seen their last 2 games, and he doesn't sit infront of the back-four but plays ahead of a more defensive CM(Schwegler). Rode would be more of an improvement on Ramsey rather than an Arteta replacement. We still need a more physical CM like Gonalons. Maybe we're looking at two players in midfield
I know 2 games isn't a lot to go on but out of curiousity if Wenger didn't sign a more defensive midfielder would you start him ahead of Arteta??

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Dokaka said:
jones said:
Sod off :D

Honestly, he'd probably improve the midfield, but it's very unlikely that a German player leaves the country at this age.

Would probably be Arsenal though if it were to happen considering he'd have Podolski, Mertesacker, Eisfeld and Gnabry with him.

When you put it like that, we are building quite the German collection at Arsenal.

eye4goal

Established Member
pg1989 said:
I know 2 games isn't a lot to go on but out of curiousity if Wenger didn't sign a more defensive midfielder would you start him ahead of Arteta??

I think he'll perform in a similar way to Ramsey there. Maybe slightly better, but hardly an improvement on Arteta. To improve on Arteta we'll need to bring someone more established.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
That "journalist" is talking out of his ass, Rode's passing is tidy, but nowhere near top of the league, the Schweinsteiger comparisons are completely off.

I posted earlier the one comparison that probably fits best is Flamini. Rode is not the kind of midfield general to control the tempo of a game, he works best when he has that general next to him and is allowed to roam all over the pitch. I'd describe him as a CM who has his strengths in defence, in contrast to his partner in DM Schwegler who mostly plays as a pure CDM, similar to the Xabi Alonso and Khedira partnership at Real.

eye4goal said:
I've seen their last 2 games, and he doesn't sit infront of the back-four but plays ahead of a more defensive CM(Schwegler).

The last two games aren't accurate when it comes to showing Rode's usual position on the pitch, at Freiburg the Eintracht manager played a diamond formation for the first time in this season, with Rode on the left side, at times even at #10. Agree though that he usually plays a little ahead of Schwegler, although his engine makes it impossible to pin him down on just one position on the pitch either way.

Floating

Established Member
jones said:
That "journalist" is talking out of his ass, Rode's passing is tidy, but nowhere near top of the league, the Schweinsteiger comparisons are completely off.

I posted earlier the one comparison that probably fits best is Flamini. Rode is not the kind of midfield general to control the tempo of a game, he works best when he has that general next to him and is allowed to roam all over the pitch. I'd describe him as a CM who has his strengths in defence, in contrast to his partner in DM Schwegler who mostly plays as a pure CDM, similar to the Xabi Alonso and Khedira partnership at Real.

eye4goal said:
I've seen their last 2 games, and he doesn't sit infront of the back-four but plays ahead of a more defensive CM(Schwegler).

The last two games aren't accurate when it comes to showing Rode's usual position on the pitch, at Freiburg the Eintracht manager played a diamond formation for the first time in this season, with Rode on the left side, at times even at #10. Agree though that he usually plays a little ahead of Schwegler, although his engine makes it impossible to pin him down on just one position on the pitch either way.

Sounds like an interesting player, but I'm not sure we need another midfielder who likes to roam around the pitch and needs to play next to an anchor that we don't have.

Are there other players in the Bundesliga you think would be a better fit? Lars Bender or Luis Gustavo, perhaps?

Who would you say are the best passers in the Bundesliga? I would rank Gündoğan up there - his long passing reminds me a lot of Cesc.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
I'd have Luiz Gustavo over Bender, while the latter is a decent player as well I think Gustavo would give our midfield the bigger boost, decent physical presence, good technical ability and tactical understanding, he's been outstanding in the league this season.
Not sure he'd want to come here though seeing how he's guaranteed titles at Bayern, a lot of that also depends on what Guardiola will change in the summer. He played only around half of Bayern's games this season though because new (& expensive) kid on the block Martinez has been great for them as well, so he might be interested in a move, that is if we show some ambition/spend some ****ing money.

Apart from the usual suspects, I'd say one of the best and most underrated passers in the league is Eintracht's captain Pirmin Schwegler. Wouldn't be surprised if he's in the league's Top 5 of players with the most touches per game, he's probably the biggest reason (after maybe the GK Trapp) that a team that was promoted last summer is still in a CL spot with ten games to go.
He's basically what we're trying to get Arteta to do, a CDM who controls a game's tempo at will, defensively strong, not the tallest but has a surprisingly huge leap and a great shot on him, regularly scores 30 yard+ screamers. Only 25 years old, the reason he's under the radar is he's Swiss, and Switzerland's manager Hitzfeld doesn't play any midfielder outside of the Napoli trio of Inler, Behrami and Dzemaili.

been

DJ_Markstar said:
Dokaka said:
jones said:
Sod off :D

Would probably be Arsenal though if it were to happen considering he'd have Podolski, Mertesacker, Eisfeld and Gnabry with him.

When you put it like that, we are building quite the German collection at Arsenal.

Its the way to go to avoid the mistakes we made with cesc and not surrounding him with his own countrymen.

Henry and Vieira probably would have left earlier had it not been for the strong french influence in the change room.

dpt49

Established Member
been said:
Its the way to go to avoid the mistakes we made with cesc and not surrounding him with his own countrymen.

Henry and Vieira probably would have left earlier had it not been for the strong french influence in the change room.
[/quote]
I don't think we need to surround any player with players from the same country or because they speak the same language, it should be more surrounding certain players with players of similar top quality.

Cesc often said he wanted us to buy players that he could play alongside that were top quality. The same was said by Nasri and RVP.

When we had lots of French players, they were world class.
Players like Henry, Pires and Vieira, were surrounded by world class players, from lots of different countries but it didn't matter where they came from, as long as they could perform at the same level as our French players..

If Wenger had surrounded them with other players from France, of the standard of players like Giroud, Squllaci or Chamakh, it wouldn't have mattered that they spoke the same language, because they still wouldn't have been nearly good enough.

I don't mind whether a player comes from Germany, as long as their name is Hummels, Lahm, Özil, Gomez etc, but not just because they are the same nationality as players that are already here and not good enough.

The worlds best players prefer to play with with similar top players. not just because they happen to be from the same country.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
don't you get it man? we're teaching everyone at arsenal the german language and the culture. that way all will be ready for gotze when he's here :) we should also find out if he prefers italian or german cars. we could get el shaarawy or jovetic just to be safe and cover that possibility beforehand.

Bigbludfire

Established Member
been said:

Mistakes? Not really considering he speaks English to his fans, speaks English within his household to his girlfriend/fiancee, in fact he engages in more English speaking media than Spanish and that's all after he left us. It was a mistake at the start, as he said he found it difficult and Senderos was the only one who could speak English but he uses English just as much as he uses Catalan now. It was more important to him to have better players, which he didn't get.

I agree with having a good group of fellow countrymen as a semi core, its good to an extent but Cesc wasn't much of a case, he thinks of himself as an adopted North Londener in the same way Xabi prefers Liverpool to Real Madrid which is a shame considering Liverpool is a **** city with a currently **** football club

been

I think you guys have misunderstood what I said a bit, when we surrounded henry with french players it was during the golden years of french football, im not saying to just start buying anyone that is from france. Im saying we should surround him with those same players from his golden era.

When we had cesc it was during the golden years of Spanish football(still is).

Now it looks like german football has a golden era coming its way.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
This is probably an out of order comment but is this guy really any better than Coquellin? performing well for a mid table club in a top league doesn't necessarily translate to improving a Champions League team. I have admittedly never seen the player but this reeks of another attempt to save money, why not just spend big on a more proven player?

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
He's definitely better than Coquelin, and I actually rate the Frenchman. Rode is an integral part to a team that made it from promotion last summer to 4th place in March 2013. Think he hasn't missed a single match since he broke into the first team about two years ago. Not sure if he'd improve Arsenal right now because of the different ways the teams set up, but there's definitely potential.

Sydney Gooner

Established Member
Jonesy what do you think of an midfield engine room of Gustavo and Rode say in a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-2-2-2 with Cazorla, Wilshere and Walcott in front of them? Do you think that could work?

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Could work quality wise, but I'm missing somebody who can control the match from deeper in that line-up. If Cazorla were to drop deeper in a 4-3-3 that could work, that would leave us with Wilshere on the wing though.

Bottom line is I'd rather take only one of Gustavo and Rode here, preferably the former, since they both have their strengths in their athleticism, and we would have nobody to dictate the game.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsène Wenger's idea is not only to play good football. It's to play good football to win. In my day, we knew that with our style we could hurt teams and win trophies too. But we did it our way, with the positional game, passing, movement.

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom