• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sébastien Bassong

Status
Not open for further replies.

qs

Established Member
Re: Sebastien Bassong.

Maybe one of the guys on the street overheard it as an actual journalist passed by them.

KY

Established Member

He's 6'2" and he's 22 and french. Something for Wenger und something for us. :D

asajoseph

Established Member

If Vermaelen can provide organisation and leadership, Bassong might be worth looking at. Still not overly keen on him though.

James

Established Member

asajoseph said:
If Vermaelen can provide organisation and leadership, Bassong might be worth looking at. Still not overly keen on him though.
Naturally, i'm not sure anyone could be overly keen on a player that's been a frequent figure in a side that's just been relegated.

raidersoftheark

Established Member

James said:
asajoseph said:
Naturally, i'm not sure anyone could be overly keen on a player that's been a frequent figure in a side that's just been relegated.
Or to be more accurate (and damning), a frequent figure in one of the most inept defensive units I've ever seen. I'm wary of him, to say the least.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus

Bassong? No he really is quite good, maybe not Ricky good, but good. Don't let the fact that Newcastle became a dysfunctional team worry you overly about his ability.

At a guess, I probably saw him 20-25 times this past season and just as often as not he stood out for all the right reasons.

Anzac

Established Member

IMO the Vermaelen signing (if true) precludes us from obtaining any more CB types with potential = we already have Djourou & Senderos & then there's still Silvestre as 'experienced cover'.

As it stands we have 6 CBs with VT - the only way I can see us signing another CB is if VT is destined for a DM role OR we are going to lighten the load by selling a couple of CBs. Even then I'd be leaning more towards a Hangeland/Lescott than a Bassong/Richards/Zapater.

asajoseph

Established Member

I think the thing we've needed is the sort of defender who can put his hand up, and play a steadying roll in commanding a defence that is not really sure what it's supposed to be doing.

Not that I think our defence was a bad as Newcastle's, and whilst I appreciate that it's probably a bit much to expect from him at this stage in his career to do that job at Newcastle, but Bassong has not looked like that player this season. Maybe it's to do with the quality of their defence overall, but he just has not looked like the player we need to me.

That said, now that we've got Vermaelen, who may fill those needs, it might be worth looking at someone like Bassong now...

taylor314gh

entropy13 said:
Who's VT Anzac? Vermaelen Thomas? :p

sometimes you got to mix it up...

Seriously though, coloccini was the biggest problem in their defense this season, you could put him into the middle of the best defense in the league and they would ship quite a few more goals. he was utterly clueless

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐

No specific link to us but Bassong has confirmed he is in negotations with two premiership clubs

GoonerGurjit

Established Member

irishgunnerz said:
No specific link to us but Bassong has confirmed he is in negotations with two premiership clubs

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5386801,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 01,00.html</a>

I doubt we're one of the clubs. Sp*rs have been linked with Bassong pretty heavily.

fabo

6.51 / 10

Do Sp**s pay any actual scouts? Seems to me they just check Goal.com to see who we're linked with.

Bassong is out the window now seeing as Vermaelen is as good as done.

SPF103

fabo said:
Do Sp**s pay any actual scouts? Seems to me they just check Goal.com to see who we're linked with.

Bassong is out the window now seeing as Vermaelen is as good as done.

Not necessarily. Between most likely losing Senderos and maybe one of Toure/Gallas, Silvestre not being good enough, and Toure/Song leaving for two months next year, we could definitely do with another defensive signing. Maybe Wenger was faced with two options: Hangeland for 15m, or Vermaelen for 10m and another younger one for squad depth for 5m. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case, as Sakho also seems to be in the same sense as Bassong. I know that people will say that Wenger would never do that, but I think this summer might be different.

tam1886

Established Member

A_Gooner_Matata said:
Bassong + Vermy (+ keeping Gallas and Touré + selling Silvestre) = orgasmic
I'm assuming Senderos is on his way out too, but where does that leave Djourou. I don't think Bassong has got all that much on him, and depending on the price he may not be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Don’t be scared to be ambitious. It’s not a humiliation to have a high target and to fail. For me, the real humiliation is to have a target and not to give everything to reach it.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom