• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sébastien Bassong

Status
Not open for further replies.

qs

Established Member
Re: Sebastien Bassong.

I think for anything less than £6m it'd be a good purchase.

Kraig

Established Member

he played for newcastle...

no-one in that side is good enough for arsenal

-vapour-

Kraig said:

:lol:

That is the most narrow minded comment I think I have ever heard. Haha. He carried Newcastle, and was almost unanimously voted their player of their season. He has a much higher ceiling than your obviously giving him credit for.

ricky1985

Established Member

With a lot of work by Bassong with our coaching staff he has all the raw abilties to be come a top class centreback. Regardless of what happened at Newcastle.

Kraig

Established Member

-vapour- said:
Kraig said:

:lol:

That is the most narrow minded comment I think I have ever heard. Haha. He carried Newcastle, and was almost unanimously voted their player of their season. He has a much higher ceiling than your obviously giving him credit for.

he carried them??? to what exactly, the fizzy pop league! diaby would have looked a world beater in that side. silvestre would have looked brilliant too.

he is no better than djourou and id say DJ has a much higher ceiling too.

its hardly narrow minded to not want championship players.

Kraig

Established Member

ricky1985 said:
With a lot of work by Bassong with our coaching staff he has all the raw abilties to be come a top class centreback. Regardless of what happened at Newcastle.

our amazing defensive coaching???

id rather sign a defensive coach than ANOTHER defender with potential.

he has had decent games in a **** team. does he look so good because he is in a team of mediocrity?

ricky1985

Established Member

Kraig said:
ricky1985 said:

our amazing defensive coaching???

id rather sign a defensive coach than ANOTHER defender with potential.

he has had decent games in a s**t team. does he look so good because he is in a team of mediocrity?

To be fair it's the same defensive coaching that turned an unknown forward named Kolo into a world class centre half, and Clichy into one of the world's best left backs, the same with Ashley Cole, and it looks like Kieran Gibbs is well on his way also. We don't defend well enough as a team, but that is a totally different story.

Bassong was man of the match in probably 75% of Newcastle's games last season. He has pace, is 6'2", reads the game well, and is fantastic in the air. He is only 22, so he is far from the finished article, but his talent is there for all to see.

Kraig

Established Member

ah but ricky, 6'2 is only one inch taller than vermaelen and some think he isnt tall enough. :roll:

im not saying that he couldnt turn out to be a good player, and he does have ability. i just think he is well off our level currently (in that i dont see him as a champions league quality player) and for players of a similar age or younger we have ones just as good (DJ, Nordveit et al)

i personally only want players that will improve us in the present and bassong doesnt represent this. hes just another potential player and we need more finished articles. Newcastle United players do not represent this for me im afraid.

Proof

Established Member

Arsenal track Newcastle's Bassong to replace want-away Manchester City target Toure

Kolo Toure remains desperate to leave Arsenal because he is unhappy over his fall-out with teammate William Gallas and the club’s limited transfer budget.

Toure initially asked for a transfer in January after the bust-up with central defensive partner Gallas, and Manchester City are expected to tempt Arsenal with a £10m bid for the Ivory Coast defender later this month.

He looks set to be replaced at the Emirates by Belgium defender Thomas Vermaelen, who claims he will have a medical today (Friday) ahead of his £11m move from Ajax, and Arsène Wenger is also looking at Newcastle’s Sebastien Bassong and Felipe Melo of Fiorentina.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1194013/Arsenal-track-Newcastles-Sebastien-Bassong-replace-want-away-Manchester-City-target-Kolo-Toure.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... Toure.html</a>

taylor314gh

proof_afc said:
Arsenal track Newcastle's Bassong to replace want-away Manchester City target Touré

Kolo Touré remains desperate to leave Arsenal because he is unhappy over his fall-out with teammate William Gallas and the club’s limited transfer budget.

Touré initially asked for a transfer in January after the bust-up with central defensive partner Gallas, and Manchester City are expected to tempt Arsenal with a £10m bid for the Ivory Coast defender later this month.

He looks set to be replaced at the Emirates by Belgium defender Thomas Vermaelen, who claims he will have a medical today (Friday) ahead of his £11m move from Ajax, and Arsène Wenger is also looking at Newcastle’s Sebastien Bassong and Felipe Melo of Fiorentina.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1194013/Arsenal-track-Newcastles-Sebastien-Bassong-replace-want-away-Manchester-City-target-Kolo-Tour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -Kolo-Tour</a>é.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sounds completely made up to me. No quotes, just old news rehashed with made up new "news"

DREVAK

Established Member

While I don't believe Arsenal will sign Bassong, I don't necessarily think it would be such a major or unexpected change. With Gallas not getting any younger, that whole Toure transfer request affair a while back and now this alleged City interest, and Senderos apparently not returning from Italy, signing two defenders wouldn't seem so strange. However as I said, I don't expect Bassong to join Arsenal, and nor do I think either Gallas or Toure will leave.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member

taylor314gh said:
proof_afc said:
Arsenal track Newcastle's Bassong to replace want-away Manchester City target Touré

Kolo Touré remains desperate to leave Arsenal because he is unhappy over his fall-out with teammate William Gallas and the club’s limited transfer budget.

Touré initially asked for a transfer in January after the bust-up with central defensive partner Gallas, and Manchester City are expected to tempt Arsenal with a £10m bid for the Ivory Coast defender later this month.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1194013/Arsenal-track-Newcastles-Sebastien-Bassong-replace-want-away-Manchester-City-target-Kolo-Tour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -Kolo-Tour</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;é.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sounds completely made up to me. No quotes, just old news rehashed with made up new "news"

Absolutely. Just a few weeks ago Toure was saying how it is imperative that nobody should leave the club during the summer.

irishgunnerz

AWOL
Trusted ⭐

Well hes back...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1198449/Sebastien-Bassong-blaming-uncertainty-Newcastle-blocking-exit-admits-Arsenal-approach-sign-him.html?ITO=1490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... l?ITO=1490</a>

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

Wonder if we're looking at Bassong to replace Silvestre or something. I don't agree with the general consensus that Tweety has been completely useless, but that would still be an incredible piece of business. Losing Senderos and Silvestre while signing Bassong would leave us with four quality centrebacks, and then there's Song who can do a job there as well. At this stage I don't think he'd moan a lot about playing time either. I'm sure Bassong would rather sit on the bench for Arsenal than playing in the Championship for Newcastle.

GaelForce22

Established Member

I was wondering how long it would be till we were linked to him again.
Klaus Daimler said:
Wonder if we're looking at Bassong to replace Silvestre or something. I don't agree with the general consensus that Tweety has been completely useless, but that would still be an incredible piece of business. Losing Senderos and Silvestre while signing Bassong would leave us with four quality centrebacks, and then there's Song who can do a job there as well. At this stage I don't think he'd moan a lot about playing time either. I'm sure Bassong would rather sit on the bench for Arsenal than playing in the Championship for Newcastle.
Don't forget Djourou. Before he lost form (and then started getting injuries) in January he had been one of our best players last season.

As we now have Vermaelan, Song and Djourou I'm not really convinced that Wenger would buy another young centre-back - unless he sees Bassong as better than all three.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member

GaelForce22 said:
I was wondering how long it would be till we were linked to him again.
Klaus Daimler said:
Don't forget Djourou. Before he lost form (and then started getting injuries) in January he had been one of our best players last season.
Oops! I definitely counted Djourou - who I think is the one closest to our starting eleven out of the backup choices - but I somehow forgot that we've signed Vermaelen :eek:ops:

That leaves us with good options even if Senderos and Silvestre were to leave, then. Bassong could still be a good fifth choice though, considering Gallas will most likely up his sticks next summer.

Paddy from Sweden

Find it poor journalism when they don't mention the source to quotes. Either it's an interview they've done themselves or as in this case it's from an article by France Football. Or as in many other cases the quotes are just made up.

GunneDown

i think we have our centre backs for next season...

Cant see wenger signing anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I started clapping myself... until I realised that I was Sunderland's manager.

Peter Reid after Bergkamp's goal against Sunderland.

Latest posts

Top Bottom