• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Serge Aurier

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
It's obviously a huge fee but he is something else for an 18 year old. You're potentially sorting out that position for 10-15 years.

dave_rwr

Established Member
Made ESPN's Best XI of the Group Stages:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup/4/blog/post/1913505/best-world-cup-players-at-brazil-2014" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup/4/ ... razil-2014</a>

ArseGod

I'm really not that wowed with Shaw. I think he'll be a solid LB, but not World Class. British tax and whatnot makes this fee ludicrous, but United can spend that money without blinking.

Johnny_Blaze

Established Member
The only fullbacks I'd pay £30m for in the history of this sport are Roberto Carlos and Cafu. Football is dead as ****ing dead.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
ArseGod said:
I'm really not that wowed with Shaw. I think he'll be a solid LB, but not World Class. British tax and whatnot makes this fee ludicrous, but United can spend that money without blinking.

To be solid at that age while being able to make an offensive contribution is extremely rare. He's probably worth it in the long run as Utd now have their first choice left back position sealed for 11-12 years.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Johnny_Blaze said:
The only fullbacks I'd pay £30m for in the history of this sport are Roberto Carlos and Cafu. Football is dead as ******* dead.

I agree. Can't see a justification for Shaw's price. Saying that they are paying for the next 12 years is ridiculous. They are paying for now and handing over a huge fee up front. Its not the same deal we did for Walcott and Chamberlain. If you are buying for the future you lay down a fee and it rises over time. Laying down £30 million is for an instant impact and successful contribution. He also isn't super human. Anything can happen with injuries and loss of form. If Man United are willing to pay £30 million for a left back who is unproven at the highest level, then for someone like Vidal they can be expected to fork out over £50 million. They have basically upped the price of any quality player they want to pursue after the Shaw deal.

onetowatch

They paid £29m for a Rio Ferdinand over a decade ago, nobody can deny that was well spent. Formed the bedrock of the Utd defence for years and helped them to stacks of trophies and CL finals. Same with Rooney. And that was more than 10 years ago.

It's not ridiculous to say its for the next 10-15 years because it's true. If he can fulfil his potential they're sorted at LB for a long time.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
The_Playmaker said:
Johnny_Blaze said:
The only fullbacks I'd pay £30m for in the history of this sport are Roberto Carlos and Cafu. Football is dead as ******* dead.

I agree. Can't see a justification for Shaw's price. Saying that they are paying for the next 12 years is ridiculous. They are paying for now and handing over a huge fee up front. Its not the same deal we did for Walcott and Chamberlain. If you are buying for the future you lay down a fee and it rises over time. Laying down £30 million is for an instant impact and successful contribution. He also isn't super human. Anything can happen with injuries and loss of form. If Man United are willing to pay £30 million for a left back who is unproven at the highest level, then for someone like Vidal they can be expected to fork out over £50 million. They have basically upped the price of any quality player they want to pursue after the Shaw deal.

I'd say they lessened the price of players they're going to go after. Every player that they are after sees the statement of intent to build a team and will try and force a move.

Of course they are paying for 11-12 years. Rather than paying 15-20 million for someone not quite at the level they're buying someone who is proven in the PL and very young. Rather than buying a Gervinho for 12 million they're buying a Hazard for 30.

Lahm would have easily been worth 30 million. He is in my mind the best full back I've ever seen play and regularly destroys teams and blunts attacks by himself.

Johnny_Blaze

Established Member
onetowatch said:
They paid £29m for a Rio Ferdinand over a decade ago, nobody can deny that was well spent. Formed the bedrock of the Utd defence for years and helped them to stacks of trophies and CL finals. Same with Rooney. And that was more than 10 years ago.

It's not ridiculous to say its for the next 10-15 years because it's true. If he can fulfil his potential they're sorted at LB for a long time.

Centre-backs are more important than fullbacks.

Rio Ferdinand had lived up to the big price tag at Leeds before moving to United, he was a proven performer in the Premier League, a Champions League semi-finalist and had become a reliable defender at the international level.

The comparisons with Shaw are non-existent really. Shaw is 80% hype at the moment and not a guaranteed return on investment like ducklips.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
Shaw hasn't done anything, Rio Ferdinand has captained a team of (O'Leary's) 'babies' to a champions league semi final before making his £29m move to Man Utd. Tbf, he'd already been signed for £18m by Leeds previously.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Johnny_Blaze said:
onetowatch said:

No they are not, full backs in fact could very well be the most important players of a team as they are the pivot between attacking/defending and it's getting increasingly difficult to find good full backs. I feel that Shaw is overpriced too but as long as Utd doesn't do something to ruin his potential (like they did to so many of their young English players) he's not that far from paying off the investment.

At least Shaw is nowhere near as overpriced as the £25m rated Adam Lallana, can't believe Liverpool is willing to pay so much for an average player who'll flop just like all the other English wingers.

infineon

Established Member
scytheavatar said:
At least Shaw is nowhere near as overpriced as the £25m rated Adam Lallana, can't believe Liverpool is willing to pay so much for an average player who'll flop just like all the other English wingers.
Honestly, we should have bought Fabregas back for £25m or whatever it was and then sold him to Liverpool for £35-40m if they really have that much money to spend ...

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
scytheavatar said:
Johnny_Blaze said:
onetowatch said:

No they are not, full backs in fact could very well be the most important players of a team as they are the pivot between attacking/defending and it's getting increasingly difficult to find good full backs. I feel that Shaw is overpriced too but as long as Utd doesn't do something to ruin his potential (like they did to so many of their young English players) he's not that far from paying off the investment.
This is true, one of our problem is cause none of our LB is as good as Cole.
About Shaw, he is definitely overpriced 30mil is Dani Alvez price tag. Let's see how this will turns out anyway

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
BobP said:
FinnGooner said:
Exactly. If he ends up at Sp**s, Newcastle or Sunderland (or similar), it's only because we don't want him which means we have something better lined up.
I just hope to god that something is not promoting Jenks as the no. 1 choice. That would be the same as giving up the title chase right away.

You just know that that is what is going to happen.

oh ffs, it's only june and people are getting their knickers in a twist? read up some actual news, puma something. emirates something. this isn't 2009 anymore, we've actually bought decent players recently in case you've missed.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Who cares if it's only June? Season is over 7 weeks, and the new one starts in 7 weeks or so.

We have alot of work to do but tbh I'm beginning to think my thought on the FA Cup being a springboard are correct. In the sense it isn't. I took it for what it was - a fantastic cup win that goes down in the history books but I don't see us doing enough to get back winning league titles consistently again.

Not based on our lack of transfer action this Summer, just how we operate in general in the market. We're not proactive or aggressive enough.

fabo

6.51 / 10
We're on a forum, so no? Not everyone is gonna be content that we have done no business hitting July.

Arsenal Quotes

I'm obsessed by the idea of making my mark on history. And Arsenal is my paradise.

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom