• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2017/18

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
I like how we have a lot of options in each position. Our youngsters have really grown and are starting to be ready for regular PL minutes. I don't know much about other PL clubs' youngsters, but I feel with the current crop knocking on the door we have a very bright future ahead of us.

Eddie Nketiah
Eddie is very fast, strong in protecting the ball, makes amazing runs and will be deadly in scoring position. Never seems to make a wasteful touch. We need to secure this guy for the future. He'll make it anywhere.

Reiss Nelson
Nelson starting to become more adventurous with his movement while maintaining a defensive mindset. Wengers choice to grow him from RWB seems to have been good for his development. He's now learning from some of the best everyday and it seems to do him a world of good.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles
AMN was ready from day 1. This guy is truly part of the first team and is multifunctional. Feel like he can play almost any position and does so without complaints and still bossing his opponent on speed, workrate and confidence. Never worried when he receives the ball under pressure.

Joe Willock
Willock I feel is technically ready but is missing something. From the looks of it it's physicality, but that's attainable. Don't see a place for him in the first team this season.

Emile Smith Rowe
Impressive. Comparisons with some big names are easily made, but I'll just focus on what he's shown himself. Technically very very good. Close ball control, speed while running with the ball and a great strike. His passing is crisp, the one thing that's needs some developing which is absolute normal at this age is decision making. It's the one thing that will turn him into a top quality player.

Konstantinos Mavropanos
Big presence, strong, good passer and dynamic movement. Just seems solid everytime he features (unfazed at his debut at old trafford). Is still young so cannot be expected to feature regularly, but I feel he isn't easily impressed by pressure. If we can grow him the next few years we will be sorted at CB. Out of all our CB's I feel he has the most potential. Would keep him in our squad this season over some of our other CB's.

Matteo Guendouzi
Amazing find. He fits right in and makes players around him seem like they are just learning the trade. Because of his appearance opponents think they can easily disposses him with pressing, but they learn fast enough to keep some distance. Even then the guy is dangerous with penetrative passing from literally any position under any amount of press. Never picks the easy pass (often skips on or two stations), but almost always picks the pass that makes sense and allows us to start or continue our forward avancement. He mixes that up with elastic movement where he just charmes his opponents into turning the wrong way, dancing his way through interceptions. This is also his weakness as 20% of time he dances his way into trouble and we get dispossessed in dangerous areas. We haven't been punished yet, but in PL we will definitely be.

A little older but still our future:

Rob Holding
Holding could maybe do with a loan imo. Hasn't impressed me during his cameo's. Feel it might be a confidence thing. Also making 90 minutes I feel is important for a young CB. Getting in there, making mistakes and learning from them.

Calum Chambers
Chambers looking solid at CB. This is really his position. Feel like we can partner him with any of our CB's. Still think it's a confidence thing with him. Never been a fan, especially when used as RB (which is definitely not his game), but he grew on me. We are finally playing people in their right positions and it allows for fairer judgement.

Hector Bellerin
Bellerin I still count as a youngster. Same age as Chambers and Holding though you'd forget because he's been running this RB position on his own for years without a break (Neglected position by Wenger imo). Think he still has major potential. Yes he has been poor recently and his off the pitch lifestyle (which is his own right and shouldn't be an issue) is being used as a stick to beat him which I don't feel is fair. He's not out late smoking, drinking, chasing women. Is not turning up late for training or slacking. On the pitch he gives his all, but he's still learning and makes mistakes. He does need to work on elements of his game and probably should make a choice whether to invest in becoming move defensively sound or become that attacking threat that keeps bombing the flanks. Hopefully Emery and Lichtsteiner can help him in this department. Make or break season though. Some progress had to be made.

Alex Iwobi
Him and Hector have experienced similar seasons at Arsenal. Burst onto the scene. Hyped up by fans and featuring regularly while being under a lot of pressure. When the chips went down he experienced hostility from our fanbase. Hopefully he grew from that and I think he's going to benefit a lot with the positive vibe that's going through our club. Aubameyang's positive vibe turned our dressing room and training pitch into the place you want to be a part of. Has to work on end product and decision making. Be it key passes/assists more than goals. Imo this can be resolved with confidence.

Last edited:

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Agree with just about everything you wrote

Except AMN. To me he looks too nonchalant at times. Speed will not always save you...

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Agree with just about everything you wrote

Except AMN. To me he looks too nonchalant at times. Speed will not always save you...
Last year to me it seemed like a complacency issue. Turns out there's a thin line between complacency and confidence. His resting facial expression oozes "I don't give a ****". He can't help it. Judging from his recent appearances the dwelling on the ball and careless passing seem to have been eradicated from his game. If not, Emery and his vocal staff will make sure they are.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Chambers-Holding have good potential to be very good partnership both are talented they are close mates off the pitch.

I'm waiting for Sokratis-Mustafi how they'll do because they'll be our starting center back in the league if they keep making mistake after mistakes I'll go with holding chambers for reminder of the season

JimmyTheMac

Anyone notice how a few of the player should seem to be slightly bigger this season? Or maybe they packed on some mass during the off season and it'll burn as the season goes on.
But obviously there's Cech, Chambers looks a bit bigger, Niles, Iwobi and Aubamayang all look physically bigger.

Arsenio Venger

Anyone notice how a few of the player should seem to be slightly bigger this season? Or maybe they packed on some mass during the off season and it'll burn as the season goes on.
But obviously there's Cech, Chambers looks a bit bigger, Niles, Iwobi and Aubamayang all look physically bigger.

Obvs off Wenger’s broccoli diet

Wryer

Not feeling the Chambers loan move.
Going into the season with Mustafi Papa Holding and Mavropanos doesn't feel me with confidence to be honest.

Kos is as good as out till next year.

Divided_Pie

Let's assume Ramsey, Perez, Ospina, and Campbell are sold, Chambers is loaned, and nobody else is brought in. Two-deep squad would look something like this (this is how I'd like to see it, but obviously some of the starters could be swapped, like Xhaka for Guendouzi, and Mustafi for Mavropanos):

-------------------- Lacazette -----------------
-------------------- (Nketiah) -----------------
--------------------------------------------------
Aubameyang ------- Özil ------- Mkhitarian
(Welbeck) -------- (Iwobi) --------- (Nelson)
--------- Guendouzi ------ Torreira ----------
----------- (Xhaka) ------- (Elneny) ---------
Monreal --- Mavro ---- Sokratis -- Bellerin
(AMN) -- (Holding) -- (Mustafi) ---- (Lich)
--------------------- Leno ----------------------
-------------------- (Cech) ---------------------

Then depending on injuries, etc these guys could play a role in the first team:

Kolasinac
Koscielny
Martinez
Smith-Rowe
Willock

I would actually be pretty okay with that, even though experience is lacking.

In an ideal world, Welbeck would be sold as well, Holding would be loaned, and a new winger and CB would be brought in. Leon Bailey and Alessio Romagnoli would be my wish list signings.

Wryer

Let's look at it this way -

This season is not going to be our season. Emery needs time to find the theme and shape he has envisioned. And that means we are going to get bad results (so to speak), insepid games and in fighting. Yet, given the board's track recors, we aren't going to fire the manager unless we are in some relegation dogfight come March. Top 4 is likely a tall order with Man City being a well oil machine, Liverpool spending against their principles, Sp**s having a guaranteed 25-goal striker and then there's Man Utd and Chelsea who can probably spend to buy their way out.

Nobody is expecting anything realistically.

Against this backdrop, surely there is bandwidth for Emery to be brave and play the youngsters. If anything, having a couple of breakthrough players has to be his KPI this season. Wenger was desperate for results, and as a result, he lost his courage to play the promising players unless his hands were forced. Not this season.

I would like to see two of Chambers, Mavropanos, AMN, Guendozi, Nelson cement themselves as part of the 11 at the end of the season.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Let's assume Ramsey, Perez, Ospina, and Campbell are sold, Chambers is loaned, and nobody else is brought in. Two-deep squad would look something like this (this is how I'd like to see it, but obviously some of the starters could be swapped, like Xhaka for Guendouzi, and Mustafi for Mavropanos):

-------------------- Lacazette -----------------
-------------------- (Nketiah) -----------------
Aubameyang ------- Özil ------- Mkhitarian
(Welbeck) -------- (Iwobi) --------- (Nelson)
--------- Guendouzi ------ Torreira ----------
----------- (Xhaka) ------- (Elneny) ---------
Monreal --- Mavro ---- Sokratis -- Bellerin
(AMN) -- (Holding) -- (Mustafi) ---- (Lich)
--------------------- Leno ----------------------
-------------------- (Cech) ---------------------

Then depending on injuries, etc these guys could play a role in the first team:

Kolasinac
Koscielny
Martinez
Smith-Rowe
Willock

I would actually be pretty okay with that, even though experience is lacking.

In an ideal world, Welbeck would be sold as well, Holding would be loaned, and a new winger and CB would be brought in. Leon Bailey and Alessio Romagnoli would be my wish list signings.

Looking at that line-up, our predicament in defence seems very clear. To think we once had cbs like Keown, Adams and Campbell. Now we're a team of Cygans and Stepanovs. Depressing.

stiiphunn

Established Member
For the first time in a while, I'm genuinely excited about a new season. I think Emry is a great coach - that's not to say that he'll do really well, but I think he's got the ingredients to improve our team and compete with the top teams. I love Wenger but we really needed a new dynamic and Emry is a great choice to do that.

That said, when I look at our squad, I have a number of concerns, the main one of which is creativity. I'm not convinced we've got the players we need to play the football Emry wants to play. When I look for creative players within our squad, I see Özil and Mikhi. Auba and Lacazette are players that are great within the box and can finish off moves that were created by others. But I don't see them as being creative. Iwobi is a bit on and off. Ramsey is a good player but I don't necessarily think of him as creative.

I think that we may still miss an extra player who can make us tick a bit more in the final third of the pitch. Such a player would either be a CM or - even better - a winger. I think we're a bit short on the wings - perhaps not in numbers but at least in quality.

I don't think we'll sign another winger before Aug 9 so it'll be interesting to see how we do there. But this is the main concern I have in terms of squad building. I was wondering what you guys thought.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Squad looking thin to me.

I really like the youth but much prefer them to break through rather than go into the season depending on them when achieved very little.

Arsenal Quotes

I tried to watch the Sp*rs match on television in my hotel yesterday, but I fell asleep.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom