• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
We have so many weaknesses, unless we pump in over £100m net this summer, I don't see how we can get back into the CL.
Would be interesting to see when did Dortmund spend 100+m net, and they are actually one of the strongest team in the world. There are other ways to compete, and trying to outspend others is a game we are going to lose, which is currently happening.

We need to completely change our philosophy and go back to 2005-2008 years with the ability to actually keep our players or sell them for insane money (something that we couldn't achieve back then).

Can anyone tell me that we can't find 18y old kid somewhere that can't
do for us what Lich is doing? Lich was to blame for the draw last game and he was dire throughout Liverpool game without any contribution to attack other than losing the ball all the time.
What about Mkhi, what's his contribution this season? We can't find 18y old kid to give us the same result as Mkhi does? Ramsey?
Look at Sancho at Dortmund, he would be our best player as he already is there, at the age of 18/19 and they've only paid 8m for him.
We can already use 3-4 teenagers to replace senior players that are just waste of space and money, it's a win win situation, and even if they don't succeed they can't do any worse than Lich, Mkhi, Elneny or Ramsey.
Our results are completely based on the form of 6-7 players, everyone else is just stealing a living here and in this transition period we have good opportunity to experiment and get rid of the players we don't need.
Would it hurt us yesterday to give Saka 30 minutes when it was 5-1? Would it heart to leave Lich at home and bring Nketiah with AMN moving to RB? The results would be the same if not better and we would have better understanding what this kids are capable of.

We need to show to next Mbappe/ Dembele that we do give chances here to develop, combine that young talent with some top players like Auba, Laca and Torreira and we have a working formula to compete. Reducing the number of underperformers and replacing them with teenagers would give us a chance to get 80+m players, one world class player + Saka and ESR is worth more than Mkhi, Elneny and Ramsey, and they would still have the potential to develop much further.
Even if you lose them you can get over 100m for them while for the likes of Ramsey, Mkhi and Elneny you can't get anything.

Reactions: Jae

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Would be interesting to see when did Dortmund spend 100+m net, and they are actually one of the strongest team in the world. There are other ways to compete, and trying to outspend others is a game we are going to lose, which is currently happening.

We need to completely change our philosophy and go back to 2005-2008 years with the ability to actually keep our players or sell them for insane money (something that we couldn't achieve back then).

do for us what Lich is doing? Lich was to blame for the draw last game and he was dire throughout Liverpool game without any contribution to attack other than losing the ball all the time.
What about Mkhi, what's his contribution this season? We can't find 18y old kid to give us the same result as Mkhi does? Ramsey?
Look at Sancho at Dortmund, he would be our best player as he already is there, at the age of 18/19 and they've only paid 8m for him.
We can already use 3-4 teenagers to replace senior players that are just waste of space and money, it's a win win situation, and even if they don't succeed they can't do any worse than Lich, Mkhi, Elneny or Ramsey.
Our results are completely based on the form of 6-7 players, everyone else is just stealing a living here and in this transition period we have good opportunity to experiment and get rid of the players we don't need.
Would it hurt us yesterday to give Saka 30 minutes when it was 5-1? Would it heart to leave Lich at home and bring Nketiah with AMN moving to RB? The results would be the same if not better and we would have better understanding what this kids are capable of.

We need to show to next Mbappe/ Dembele that we do give chances here to develop, combine that young talent with some top players like Auba, Laca and Torreira and we have a working formula to compete. Reducing the number of underperformers and replacing them with teenagers would give us a chance to get 80+m players, one world class player + Saka and ESR is worth more than Mkhi, Elneny and Ramsey, and they would still have the potential to develop much further.
Even if you lose them you can get over 100m for them while for the likes of Ramsey, Mkhi and Elneny you can't get anything.

I understand and agree with much of what you say, I have only ever heaped **** on Lichsteiner, he's useless. I would promote Smith-Rowe and AMN looked good vs Pool. Nketiah is also being ignored too much for my liking. Having said all this, unearthing an unknown CB is much harder, we need a top CB, have done for years and we have to spend big to get one. If we don't we will continue to leak goals and lack confidence at the back. Look what Van Dijk has done at Pool, that's what we need.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Look what Van Dijk has done at Pool, that's what we need.
I don't think Van Dijk is a good example as many of you believe it here.
I can't remember something like that happened before, for me it's more like they grew as a squad, every department is stronger than last year and they are full of confidence. Van Dijk was a massive deal, but the whole squad is flying and they just feel unstoppable.
Our squad was starting too look like a team before Emery decided to kill everyone's confidence. We are scared to play all over the pitch, not just in defense.
If I give you 80m for CB you probably won't have a clue who to buy as there are lots of examples of failed investments and fans here expect that after throwing money on someone we will become rock solid and ready to go. We won't, we need to completely change the way we function as a club. I like Dortmund and their approach as it's similar to what we did from 2005-2008, but we could do even better than them as we have bigger budget. Dortmund 2.0 if you would like, that's something that I was hoping to see here under Emery especially after the bs he was giving to us at the start about youngsters and Arsenal values

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
If I said Özil, you'd say Özil is a failure. You have convinced yourself.
Is no one reading or are you just so anxious to claim someone has an agenda or something like that? I said SINCE SANCHEZ. Wasn't Özil signed before that? Which world class player has wenger 'pulled' since then?

andeoch1

I can't remember something like that happened before, for me it's more like they grew as a squad, every department is stronger than last year and they are full of confidence. Van Dijk was a massive deal, but the whole squad is flying and they just feel unstoppable.
Our squad was starting too look like a team before Emery decided to kill everyone's confidence. We are scared to play all over the pitch, not just in defense.
If I give you 80m for CB you probably won't have a clue who to buy as there are lots of examples of failed investments and fans here expect that after throwing money on someone we will become rock solid and ready to go. We won't, we need to completely change the way we function as a club. I like Dortmund and their approach as it's similar to what we did from 2005-2008, but we could do even better than them as we have bigger budget. Dortmund 2.0 if you would like, that's something that I was hoping to see here under Emery especially after the bs he was giving to us at the start about youngsters and Arsenal values
We were all over the place defensively under Wenger and still are with Emery. Everyone and their mother knows we need to invest and heavily on defense. But a point that is seldom if ever mentioned is we need to upgrade our defensive coach. He’s the common denominator in two administrations and we must upgrade...

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Everyone and their mother knows we need to invest and heavily on defense.
If you can find a great CB at some lower club who is willing to move, you can be sure someone will offer more money than us, but if you can find someone who has potential to become good CB and you offer him a chance, you can be sure he will come to us instead of City or PSG. I've tried to explain that we will lose the game where we throw money around as we work with limited budget.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Is no one reading or are you just so anxious to claim someone has an agenda or something like that? I said SINCE SANCHEZ. Wasn't Özil signed before that? Which world class player has wenger 'pulled' since then?
Mbappe was about to come. It was just due to Wenger that he even considered us.

It's not even speculation.

ptrcopp

While it would be good to do this, do you think the young players we have are really good enough to eventually be starting material for a title challenging side(because that’s what we all agree we should be aiming for)?

I can see AMN and Smith-Rowe being important squad players ala Milner, Lallana, Shaqiri at pool, but not the Salahs, Manes, Keitas, Fabinhos of Arsenal. I don’t see Nketiah making it here, unfortunately.

I don’t personally see why we can’t beat match what they have invested in their team. As others have pointed out, we have spent on Özil, Sanchez, Auba, Laca over the last 5 seasons. And decent money has gone on Mustafi, Xhaka, Torreira.

Our recruitment, which majorly includes retaining and selling players, just needs to be better

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

I wasn't implying that Van Dijk was the reason they are doing so well, but he is part of the reason they have conceded the least, that's our issue, conceding. Anyway its not a case of us deciding who we want, if we offered £100m for Koulibaly it may be accepted but he would turn us down.

Also don't forget we were doing well and then lost Holding & Bellerin, you cant blame it all on Emery.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
Mbappe was about to come. It was just due to Wenger that he even considered us.

It's not even speculation.
Ok so another player on that long list of 'could have signed'. Lets not act like arsenal are a small club who had a big manager. And lets not act like Emery wont have any 'pull' whatsoever. We got Torreira for cheap and we can get others as well.

Wryer

We simply have no competitive strength in the top tier of the transfer market. We don't have the budget, nor the attraction.

I like the reference to Dortmund. Focus on smart buys, shrewd sale of players, tactical identity and youth. And this again, takes time. ALOT of time. In this respect, the higher echelons like Sven and Raul are both going to be more important than the manager.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Ok so another player on that long list of 'could have signed'. Lets not act like arsenal are a small club who had a big manager. And lets not act like Emery wont have any 'pull' whatsoever. We got Torreira for cheap and we can get others as well.
Not really 'could have signed'. CRonaldo was 'could have signed' because he only had contact with the club.

Mbappe stated multiple times that he seriously thought about signing, and that he had an offer. Same with Zlatan and Yaya...They had agreed to sign but did not due to WP and ego issues. You're seriously underestimating his pull.

Emery gonna have his pull no doubt..especially the people/players who saw him win the Europa and Ligue 1. But it won't be anywhere near Wenger's level, and AFC also have declined after the results in Wenger's last few seasons.

Divided_Pie

Don't want to be a doom-monger, but his treatment of Özil is not going to win him many fans either.

Emery needs to fix his relationship with Özil otherwise he will really struggle in the longer term.
This.

All else being equal, why would a player choose to play for Emery? He plays a very rigid system that is very physically demanding and requires high levels of discipline, and he doesn't give players freedom to express their themselves on the pitch. He now has developed a pattern of not being able to get along with his top players.

Özil himself is an attraction for other players. If Arsenal want to sign a direct, pacey, technical winger, they are more likely to sign if they know Özil will be feeding them chances. I doubt Iwobi is going to have the same draw.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Our squad is at par with ManUre and slightly better than Tottenshit.

But we haven't replaced Alexis, Ramsey is leaving, Özil is barely here...

I hope the guys who matter have some good plans, otherwise AFC will become Crystal Palce Mk. 2 soon.

Jae

Mate, I'm sorry this just isn't true and it hasn't been for a long time. The only players that get into their current first 11 are Auba (if he plays on the left) and Torreira.

I hate Sp**s with every ounce of my being but they are better than us in pretty much every position on the pitch.

Giroud12

I hope the guys who matter have some good plans, otherwise AFC will become Crystal Palce Mk. 2 soon.

Without Holding and Welbeck I´d say our squad is way worse than Sp**s and worse than Man U at the moment, sadly.

Need to be real and take the "we hate Tottenham" tinted glasses off, you can't deny how good their squad is. Better in EVERY position and have a solid bench to go with, believe me...that was as painful as it was to write than it was for you to read but it's the truth.

Without Holding and Welbeck I´d say our squad is way worse than Sp**s and worse than Man U at the moment, sadly.
Exactly, I reckon with those names you could make a slight case against Man Utd but in my opinion definitely not Sp**s, unfortunately.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
our first XI is still better than ManUre.

Mate, I'm sorry this just isn't true and it hasn't been for a long time. The only players that get into their current first 11 are Auba (if he plays on the left) and Torreira.

I hate Sp**s with every ounce of my being but they are better than us in pretty much every position on the pitch.
.don't consider them to be far ahead of our squad apart from the defense .they are ahead in the table on the strength of their defense.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
These players all need to go:

Cech
Jenkinson
Koscielny
Chambers
Mustafi
Xhaka
El-Neny

£500k in wages hopefully some reasonable fees

In an ideal world Mhikitaryan would also get the boot.

Leno
Bellerin
CB
Sokratis
Kolasinac
Torreira
CM
Özil
Winger
Auba
Laca

That’s CB, CM and Winger all of starting quality. Also then need another top player in midfield or attack to compete. Big rebuild job needed. Because half those at the top need replacing as well. Ideally we’d get a LB as well but Monreal staying makes that unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

To all the Arsenal lovers:
Take care of the values of the club. My love and support forever.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom