• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Technical Director Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Its an incredible step up from his role at Barcelona & the position Arsenal brought him in less than a year before.

Starting to see a trend in the clubs activity when it comes to money.

No it’s not. His role at Barca is comparable to what Ivan did on the football side of things. Also all of his decisions have to be approved by the board and owners.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
No it’s not. His role at Barca is comparable to what Ivan did on the football side of things. Also all of his decisions have to be approved by the board and owners.
You look at their executive structure & its vast. Raul & the finance guy where here in roles before Ivan made his shock exit. I just dont buy this is anything other than being cheap.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

As for my allegedly being a "fan" of Monchi, I'm not particularly. But I am familiar with his work and have read a lot about him and his role in creating Sevilla's scouting network and building up their academy from practically nothing to one that ranks among the best in Spain of clubs not named Barcelona or Real Madrid. At this point, I'm not even sure why it's relevant or why we're even discussing it because he isn't coming here.

Scandalous omission of Atleti :lol:

Sevilla’s academy is still middle of the pack just going off Spanish teams though. The Basques are far and away the best at academy set up consistently.

Then teams like Valencia, Oviedo, Zaragoza, Las Palmas and Santander to name a few have all shown relative to club size to be much better at bringing through academy players.

You and @MutableEarth do bring up an interesting point though. I doubt we’ll ever realistically be able to live off our academy as clubs like Barca or Bilbao do.

The main problem we have is location, we’re unlucky in that London unlike say Amsterdam, Paris or Madrid has so many professional teams.

If we hit the reset button and try and become more youth oriented I’d doubt we’d be able to consistently recruit top quality youngsters and league positioning would suffer as a result.

There are six PL clubs in London, and two of them have similar resources to us. There’s eleven London clubs total in the football league as of now. That’s competition for local youngsters that Ajax and Barcelona just don’t have.

If we were the only big club in London we’d have been able to recruit most if not all of Sterling, Zaha, Wan-Bissaka, Kane, Hudson-Odoi and Sancho.

Last edited:

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Think the Overmars link was just paper talk from the beginning. Monchi was our no. 1 target and we f*cked that up no doubt.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Scandalous omission of Atleti :lol:

Sevilla’s academy is still middle of the pack just going off Spanish teams though. The Basques are far and away the best at academy set up consistently.

Then teams like Valencia, Oviedo, Zaragoza, Las Palmas and Santander to name a few have all shown relative to club size to be much better at bringing through academy players.

You and @MutableEarth do bring up an interesting point though. I doubt we’ll ever realistically be able to live off our academy as clubs like Barca or Bilbao do.

The main problem we have is location, we’re unlucky in that London unlike say Amsterdam, Paris or Madrid has so many professional teams.

If we hit the reset button and try and become more youth oriented I’d doubt we’d be able to consistently recruit top quality youngsters and league positioning would suffer as a result.

There are six PL clubs in London, and two of them have similar resources to us. There’s eleven London clubs total in the football league as of now. That’s competition for local youngsters that Ajax and Barcelona just don’t have.

If we were the only big club in London we’d have been able to recruit most if not all of Sterling, Zaha, Wan-Bissaka, Kane, Hudson-Odoi and Sancho.
It's been a pipe dream of mine to see a predominantly Hale End XI someday - but it's just that. A pipe dream!

The most realistic outcome for me is constant production for the squad. Granted, I do think the current crop are the best we've had since '09 and a decent chunk of the attackers and midfielders could conceivably be first teamers but a lot has to click for that to happen.

You're exactly right about London though. The talent pool, particularly when it comes to South Londoners, is vast but also due to the proximity of so many PL teams in London, the talents are spread out. Chelsea are probably the team that hoovers up the most talent, with Sp**s coming a close 2nd. Arsenal's recruitment hasn't been as strong, but our coaching at that level seems to have become increasingly strong - with only Chelsea boasting the stronger tactical framework at that level.

Given the revamp of the academy since the U23 relegation and U18s finishing bottom of the league (and an influx of decent talent from within), the hope is that in the mid-to-long term, we'll start to consistently see PL-standard talent more often. It's an avenue the club should continue on, as I think it will save us a lot more money in the long run and the extra benefits are having more homegrown lads in the team, as well as potentially our own WC talent.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Just throwing a few names out there:

Mikel Arteta -- Seems as though he can do anything.

Remi Garde -- Former Arsenal player, experienced manager, former director of Lyon's training complex, was apparently a candidate to replace David Dein. Wenger man.

Giovanni van Bronckhorst -- Stepping down at the end of the season after a very successful run as Feyenoord manager to pursue a new challenge.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
Just throwing a few names out there:

Mikel Arteta -- Seems as though he can do anything.

Remi Garde -- Former Arsenal player, experienced manager, former director of Lyon's training complex, was apparently a candidate to replace David Dein. Wenger man.

Giovanni van Bronckhorst -- Stepping down at the end of the season after a very successful run as Feyenoord manager to pursue a new challenge.
Let's throw in Henry and Adams as well.

BenTal

Player:Zinchenko
What the actual **** is going on to this random club? We lost Sven. We are unable to find a replacement for the stupid bald for almost a year. Do we have any plan for future? I am so worried right now! Overmars is gone. Monchi and Edu as well. I can only think of Lille sporting director Luis Campos. We lost three times to Brasil national team, Sevila and now Ajax. No way we can hire him as well given that both Man Utd and Chelsea are interested in him. We are simply ****ed ...

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
I thought that the club was going to be better run from now on.

Yet we're seeing the same lack of planning and preparation rear its ugly head.

Gazidis is gone. Sven quits after a year on the job and we still can't find a Technical Director

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

It's been a pipe dream of mine to see a predominantly Hale End XI someday - but it's just that. A pipe dream!

The most realistic outcome for me is constant production for the squad. Granted, I do think the current crop are the best we've had since '09 and a decent chunk of the attackers and midfielders could conceivably be first teamers but a lot has to click for that to happen.

You're exactly right about London though. The talent pool, particularly when it comes to South Londoners, is vast but also due to the proximity of so many PL teams in London, the talents are spread out. Chelsea are probably the team that hoovers up the most talent, with Sp**s coming a close 2nd. Arsenal's recruitment hasn't been as strong, but our coaching at that level seems to have become increasingly strong - with only Chelsea boasting the stronger tactical framework at that level.

Given the revamp of the academy since the U23 relegation and U18s finishing bottom of the league (and an influx of decent talent from within), the hope is that in the mid-to-long term, we'll start to consistently see PL-standard talent more often. It's an avenue the club should continue on, as I think it will save us a lot more money in the long run and the extra benefits are having more homegrown lads in the team, as well as potentially our own WC talent.

Recruitment is a really interesting point though as well for me. Wheras the likes of AWB, Zaha, Sterling and Hudson-Odoi all came through the academies of teams near where they lived our latest crop is a bit different.

Nketiah, ESR and Nelson all come from South of the river which maybe shows we’ve beefed up our recruitment.

Reading up on the networks of Ajax or Bilbao they tend to have hundreds of scouts all over their city so I wonder if we’re moving in that direction.

There has been a noticeable increase in the quality of our youngsters tbf. The days of clinging to Akpom and JET as future first teamers are hopefully behind us :lol:

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Overmars was never the guy we needed anyway, he does transfer negotiations, he isn't a scout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art.
When you read some books they are fantastic, the writer touches something in you that you know you would not have brought out of yourself. He makes you discover something interesting in your life.
If you are living like an animal, what is the point of living? What makes daily life interesting is that we try to transform it to something that is close to art. And football is like that.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom