• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Battle of LCM.

Who is your chosen Left 8?

• Total voters

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
It’s good to see Xhaka getting his flowers so widely now. I remember a time when AM told me Xhaka was a joke. All a distant memory now, good to see.

As for LCM, it could even be Ødegaard. We have Vieira, Havertz, Smith Rowe, even Trossard and Jesus to consider centrally. Arteta recently spoke about becoming vertical again, which speaks to players like Vieira who wants to exploit diminishing spaces behind.

I think we are moving to a situation where our LCM would depend on the opponent.

Do we need to counter attack more, then Vieira. Vieira-Rice-Ødegaard

Do we need more ball carrying and quick combinations between the lines, then Smith Rowe.
Smith Rowe-TP5-Ødegaard

Do we need physicality, anticipation and ball retention higher up, then Rice.
Rice-TP5-Ødegaard

Do we need a aerial presence with movement into space, then Havertz.
Havertz-Rice-Ødegaard

We will see more of this when our number 6s come back to fitness, allowing us more central progression again.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
I would vote ESR but he's letting me down.

Voted for none of them. It should be Rice, and then take LCM seriously for once next summer.

Legend14

Established Member
Rice, when Partey returns.
Havertz when Partey is out.
ESR when we dont need as much defensive help
Vieira when we are behind with 15 to go.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

Those thinking Rice can play Xhaka role haven’t been paying attention.

Lone 6, double pivot or Emergency cb are probably the only roles Rice plays for Arsenal unless he drastically improves certain aspects of his game (which isn’t impossible but isn’t common for mid twenties.)

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
All 3 of these guys are better number 8s than Rice. I bet a Havertz-Partey-Ødegaard midfield would look better because the LCM doesn’t have to carry as much burden in playmaking.

Xhaka would struggle as well playing there without Partey in the 6.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I picked Vieira because I feel he has a unique quality that the other two do not possess. He has the best final ball and vision, and those for me are qualities you can't coach. Sure, Vieira is tiny and right now might be the best suited for a super-sub role, but I think he is most like a “midfielder-like” player at left 8. ESR and Havertz are forwards. I don't think either of them are confident in the build-up or second phase like Vieira is.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

I picked Vieira because I feel he has a unique quality that the other two do not possess. He has the best final ball and vision, and those for me are qualities you can't coach. Sure, Vieira is tiny and right now might be the best suited for a super-sub role, but I think he is most like a “midfielder-like” player at left 8. ESR and Havertz are forwards. I don't think either of them are confident in the build-up or second phase like Vieira is.

If Fabio was just a little bit better at wiggling out of challenges or rolling them and thought ahead a shade faster he'd be the clear candidate in my opinion.

RunTheTrap

The elephant in the room here is that most would be better from RCM. I don't think Ødegaard would suffer playing LCM, but the only thing is the dynamics with Saka/White.

But regardless ESR is by far my preferred choice, Vieira has shown a bit but when it mattered he was hooked vs Sp**s. I don't even consider Havertz.
I should have added Ødegaard as an option tbh. There's a discussion to be had about him on the left.

RunTheTrap

If Fabio was just a little bit better at wiggling out of challenges or rolling them and thought ahead a shade faster he'd be the clear candidate in my opinion.
Yes, for someone so small and diminutive he doesn't wriggle out of challenges like I expected. Normally, small guys are the most agile and elusive but Vieira isn't like that at all. His playing style is more akin to KdB, Maddison or Szoboszlai but his physique is not on their level - even Madders can ride a challenge.

TheEliteMaster100_

Turns up only when we lose
Khephren Thuram was right there available.

Also Willock would've been immense in that left 8 position, what a shame we got rid of him. Great ball carrier/dynamic runner/good shooter of the ball.

Vieira ought to play in that right 8 due to his killer final ball.

Smith Rowe is also more suited for Right 8 but his actions off the ball are inexcusable (no stamina/can't tackle/doesn't press).

Havertz as a midfielder should end, his only role is CF.

The only one who makes sense so far (to play as Left 8) is to stick Declan Rice there as soon as he is fit again and to play with Jorginho/Partey in the 6, since they're better in setting up tempo with the ball/final ball/breaking the lines, etc..

Rice as a lone 6 is a huge regression, the brother doesn't have it in his locker, so until we phase out Jorginho/Partey, he should continue to play Left 8 until we can move him into lone 6 and heavily make up for his inability to dictate tempo with the likes of De Jong and heavy dynamic midfielders to do his progression.

Even Caicedo would not have worked as a Lone 6, he's another double pivot player.

Arsenal Quotes

I am not scared to spend money. If you go out with me one night, you will understand that.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom