• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The search for our new right-back is over.

jeromelee

Legend#1 said:
Wenger wouldn't have poached Cesc from under Barca's noses knowing he was their hottest young talent and not play him

I'm sure Cesc will be a great player in the future for Arsenal

Exactly my sentiments :)

Aussie

Established Member
_scorpion_ said:
Lehmann....people complain about this guy and to tell you the truth, no one has even noticed Semaan gone. Thats how good he's been.

You have got to expext people to be upset with him after he has made some crucial mistakes that have cost us big time. He hasnt had a good season.

JazzG

Established Member
_scorpion_ said:
People who critises Lauren, oboviously don't understand a thing about how Wenger plays the team. The same can be said for Ljunberg.

Wenger focuses all of our attack via the left side, because that is where Titi likes to get the ball. Our right side is there to defend and provide width....not to initiate an equal number of attacks as our left.

Lauren and Ljunberg are class players in this system....especially Ljunberg, because not only does he scrap hard for the ball, he turns up occasionally on the left and in the center. Lauren can't do this because he will be too out of position to back back track and defend.

We focus down our left because it is much better than our right side. This is something which needs to be looked at because our balance isn't right.

Running around working hard doesn't disguise the fact that ever since our double season Freddie has been average. Injuries haven't helped him cause though.

Aussie

Established Member
I agree balance is something that needs to be worked at otherwise we may become to predictable.

A.M.A.G.

I think Lauren is solid... but if there is better out there, why not...
and our right side is somewhat poor (but thats in comparison to our left)... and even this is a flawed assessment... the consistency that is found on the left, Cole, Pires, Henry has not been able to develop on the right... there is no forward consistently playing on the right... the RM has been FL8, GS19, RP15 and recently SW11... the problem more than anything may not be with the quality of players on the right... but maybe the lack of cohesion due to the lack of consistently playing together week in week out... and one of the biggest factors in this may be injuries. I'd say we're solid all around... but it doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement... and having a more balanced attack will be better for the team... one way or the other, having a more balanced attacked will lead to more goals for somebody

_scorpion_

Established Member
What do you people expect? We have arguably the best left sided attack system in the world. It is too much to expect the right side to dominate the attack when the left is the way it is. If we had people that held the ball up on the right as much as they did on the left, you would be screaming at them for not allowing Henry to play as much as he does now.

If you know anything about our team today you will know that EVERYTHG revolves around Henry and where he wants to get the ball!!!! So stop being so stupid as to believe that one day we are going to have a focal point on our right that is going to equal what we have with Henry on our left atm.

This is how I can tell who really watches our games and who just loves to talk sh*t about our players.I think some people here are obsessed with getting thier personal post levels up, rather than thinking about what they are saying:

The imbalance you speak of is a product of the creature Wenger created. It's got nothing to do with Lauren, Ljunberg, Parlour, Wiltord or Silva's quality. We are not going to find a right sided system that will over dominate our left because it does not exist in world football at the moment and even if it did, it would nullfiy what we already have (and what already works well) on the left. Thats why Wenger sticks in industrious workers on the right and flair players on the left.

lee1001

Established Member
The team that rests on its laurels is the team that prepares to be overtaken.

I respect your passion and loyalty for the current squad Scorpion but
just because we have a fantastic first team doesnt not mean it can't be improved in any of the positions.

If there is a better GK and RB in the world, your saying we shouldn't be interested just because Lehmann and Lauren are having a 'good' season?

Yes we have probably the best left sided attack in the world and so its almost impossible to imagine a right side of the team that will DOMINATE the left, but its nonsence to believe that we can't improve the effectiveness of the right. If anything with the opposition's team being drawn to the left it leave huge gaps on the right and with the right player we can start to create/convert more chances there too.

Another point to note is that we have been quite fortunate with injuries this season. As well as Cygan and Keown have done when they have stepped in this year, can you really imagine either of them filling in for Sol or Toure for 2-3 months? Possible playing in the latter stages of the CL? Im sorry but i can't.

_scorpion_

Established Member
So what ae your options considering the shoe string budget we operate on?

People here like to pipe dream alot. I have noticed this. I never said we didnt need a new keeper for the future. I have no trust in Stuart Taylor. Stack is a good keeper, but needs more time. Lehmann this season has been solid for a new signing remember.

As for this right sided problem.....i shake my head again. You lose credibility with me when you try to argue that our right can be as focal as our left. You obviously do not watch enough games to see that Pires is the hub that begins our attacks and Henry is the destroyer up front that plays like a make shift left mid.

There is no way in hell that Wenger will do anything with the right that will take the focus away from the left. If you cant see this then your blind....That's all I'll say on that matter.

Expect squad memebers and youngsters to join us, but you won't be seeing a first teamer of international quality join our 11.

arsena1

I'm sorry to say that I have to agree with scorpion on a lot of his arguments.

in the various incarnations from the 1998 team to the current 2004 team, we have always put our emphasis in attack on the left.
overmars, pires, ljungberg, henry. the knife that sticks into the rival team have always been thrust from the left.

Sometimes, I think it's a conscious decision to over balance the team and tip the scales of attack on the left.

the 1-2s, the through passes, most of the successful crosses, they have come from the left.

I speculate that the reason is because most teams try to have a balanced formation and by upping the attackers to defenders ratio on the left, we have a higher chance to break through and create chances.

Hence, on the right, we always have parlour, ljungberg who can be more hardworking and defensive than attacking and creative.
For those who watch a lot of our matches, you will realise that the attacking contributions from the right have either been crosses from lauren, cut-ins from wiltord(who would do better if he improves his first touch) or follow-ups from ljungberg.

it's not their fault that the right has not been as fruitful.
our launchpad for attacks and targets have always been from the left, namely pires, henry.
notice how vieira is the anchor and fulcrum for our attacks.
he's the one who get passed and receives the ball whenever the left fails to make headway and in passing to either ljungberg and lauren on the right, lures the defenders to the right so as to open up the left and then the right either attempts a cross or more successfully the passes switches back to the left for another attempt.

that said, we shouldn't neglect what we can do from the right.

Despite the recent decent assists from gilberto and the great peripheral vision and passes from bergkamp whenever he lapses into the right midfield illustrating the usefulness of launching attacks from the right, we can also make the attacks coming from the right count.

how so ?
I need to begin by looking for reyes on the left.
putting reyes into the mix with pires and henry there already have often reduced the efficiency of our attacks.
why ?
because in my opinion, reyes is a pass and go player and so is henry and pires. it mixes up their synchronization when they are attacking together.
because when pires has the ball, who do you give it to ? henry or reyes?
then when henry has the ball, who do you give it to ? pires or reyes ?
it is no coincidence that henry's responsible for a lot of pires' goals and pires' likewise for henry.
it's nothing to do with liking the player or not. because in a game where u need to react fast, habit plays a big part in what you do.
you can say that it will come in time.
still I find it a waste to overload the left especially when the opponents pack the left side with defenders. then you will have both the rival defenders and your own teammates eating up your space especially when you consider ashley cole overlaps in attack.
yes the goals might come but it will take a lot more effort and it's very wasteful for 1 of the players since he will not be that involved in the build-up.
Why not make cole stick on the leftback position in case of counter attacks ? because it's wasteful to have an extra defender at the back when you're attacking. there is a reason why modern football have attacking fullbacks. they are useful when they attack and useful when not since they are responsible for defending that part of the pitch.
making both our fullbacks stick to their beginning positions when we attack will make us an italian side which is more concerned with
positional discipline.

why am I saying all this?
because we can stick reyes on the right.
not the right midfield but the central or right striking position.
when the rival team is focusing on containing our left sided attackers, the right sided ones can slip in a bit more easily.
our main focus will still be on the left but the right will have to be a bit more opportunistic in taking chances.

so when henry's in the middle, reyes goes a little right,
when henry's on the left, reyes goes a bit more central.
this keeps the players a bit closer since longer passes have a higher tendency to get intercepted.

reyes on the right has 1 more advantage. the rival teams has 2
players with deadly pace and decent(more like an understatement) to look out for in counterattacks. so if their fullbacks overlap, they lose the ball, we counter, we have 2 outlets for passes.

if we still stick to the 4-4-2 then the RM must be a hardworking and more defensive midfielder.
then as long as he has a decent pass, I think it will be acceptable.

and yes. the gk position is in need of a good replacement.

arsena1

_scorpion_ said:
People who critises Lauren, oboviously don't understand a thing about how Wenger plays the team. The same can be said for Ljunberg.

Lauren and Ljunberg are class players in this system....especially Ljunberg, because not only does he scrap hard for the ball, he turns up occasionally on the left and in the center. Lauren can't do this because he will be too out of position to back back track and defend.

Look at the stats....they dont lie. We have been the best with this defence. Our defenders play like a unit and this is the important fact. Senderos, Hoyte, clichy and co, should be given time to develp their own combinations in the reserves.

I think its more of a case of people here being too eager to see what we have for the future rather than what we already have.

This in my humble opinion is why as supporters, we stink. If any other club had performed the way we had this year, you would never read negative articles or comments from supporters about players who are doing the job for the team.

Lauren and Ljunberg do a great job for the team and I think you have to start asking questions about the 'supporters' and thier level of support, when players like those two get criticised. I get sick of reading it in here.

Other examples I can mention:

Lehmann....people complain about this guy and to tell you the truth, no one has even noticed Semaan gone. Thats how good he's been.

Gilberto....gets the most stick out of any Arsenal player, yet he works his socks off every time he plays and when he does create chances (for example the two he set up against leeds) no one mentions it.

Henry....believe it or not, but people were calling for him to leave after the Chelsea loss. "not enough bottle' was the opinion of some.

In summary, nothing needs to change about our team next year, and I think you'll find Wenger agreeing with me. We might get the odd talented youngster or squad back up, but thats all.... Thuram wont be comming here, nor will Trebesi, Vieri, Trezeguet and all these other pipe dream players the ungrateful supporters wish for.

true true true true true.
I can go on and on.
I was very disappointed with some comments during the course of the season.
sometimes I wonder if it is the warm friendly supporters lapsing into unappreciative moaning ones or if it is the inevitable glory hunters joining the bandwagon.

I don't think it's the former and I just love the elder set of supporters in this forum. you know who you are. We were here together from the start when it first metamorphise from a 1 page site to getting some disappointing email and then getting a forum then to this great arsenal community site.

the main thing I want to say is that whether you've been with Arsenal over the years both great or disappointing or you're a newcomer used only to the glory of recent times, please continue to or start supporting your team either through the good times or the bad.

I understand there might be inevitable criticism but please keep them constructive. I'm sure all of us want to make this a great community.

AdamT

arsena1 and scorpion - well said, great comments. lauren has been much improved and one of our best players this season i think. still if we could improve our right side i would not complain either, i am sure wenger is always looking to improve all over the park.

Aussie

Established Member
We should always be looking to improve all over the pitch. Our right side aint that strong this season. However Lauren is solid and there is no real reason why he needs to be replaced. Fred hasnt had a great season mainly due to injury. There have been glimpses but he will be back to his best next season.

AdamT

hope so.we just need good cover for freddie as too many injuries on that side this season, if parlour and fred are out we have no-one but gilberto.

AdamT

true but thats next season pennant coming back, wiltord going and pires hasn't played on the right for how long? although he does drift

Soler

Established Member
I'm just saying, if we're down to our teeth in injuries we can always move Pires on to the right and stick Reyes on the left wing - he did play there for Sevilla.

AdamT

rather have reyes on the right, is that not where he was playing against real madrid earlier in the season. then he can cut in and have left foot screamers. hope it doesn't come to that but, i wan't him to adapt to playing upfront with henry. besides i have a feeling we may get van persie next season and with pennant back we should be ok for midfielders.

Arsenal Quotes

When I am asked why I stayed at Arsenal so long.. my answer is simple; I never wanted to be anywhere else. I could have earned a lot more elsewhere, but that wouldn't compensate for all the good years at Highbury.

David O'Leary
Top Bottom