• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Summer of 2014 Deadline, Doomsday Day, Transfer Thread

blaze_of_glory

Re: The Summer of 2014 Deadline, Doomsday Day, Transfer Thre

Good read on Deadline Day and transfer issues in general.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.espnfc.com/barclays-premier-league/23/blog/post/2016490/deadline-day-in-the-premier-league-has-become-more-important-than-the-football-itself" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.espnfc.com/barclays-premier- ... all-itself</a>

MaestroCesc

blaze_of_glory said:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.espnfc.com/barclays-premier-league/23/blog/post/2016490/deadline-day-in-the-premier-league-has-become-more-important-than-the-football-itself" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.espnfc.com/barclays-premier- ... all-itself</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Was about to post that. Some of the reactions have been ridiculous.

ScotVieira said:
This, I consider rude.

However, nothing on the link you have posted suggests that those guys have any clue what BUDGET the club had for the transfer window. I do understand that we don't all have the same gifts but you should never assume that you can determine what an organization's budget for any specific activity is just by looking at it's overall balance sheet.

I don't know if that still makes any sense to you but I really can't explain too much further.
They gave that sum as the amount of money available, what reason wouldn't you have for spending most of it on transfers? 50m in the bank can't act as a CB.
I will say this again, I am using facts to prove my argument, your argument is just a theory you have made with no sources or facts behind it...

ScotVieira

Established Member

MaestroCesc said:
blaze_of_glory said:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.espnfc.com/barclays-premier-league/23/blog/post/2016490/deadline-day-in-the-premier-league-has-become-more-important-than-the-football-itself" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.espnfc.com/barclays-premier- ... all-itself</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Was about to post that. Some of the reactions have been ridiculous.

ScotVieira said:
This, I consider rude.

However, nothing on the link you have posted suggests that those guys have any clue what BUDGET the club had for the transfer window. I do understand that we don't all have the same gifts but you should never assume that you can determine what an organization's budget for any specific activity is just by looking at it's overall balance sheet.

I don't know if that still makes any sense to you but I really can't explain too much further.
They gave that sum as the amount of money available, what reason wouldn't you have for spending most of it on transfers? 50m in the bank can't act as a CB.
I will say this again, I am using facts to prove my argument, your argument is just a theory you have made with no sources or facts behind it...
They gave that sum as the amount of money available...for what? Is that what the Board told them is available for transfers this window or is it just their own calculation?

Perhaps we should know what determines fact (or what fact means) first and also decide if the club has informed Wenger that that much is available for him to spend on transfers this window.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

GDeep said:
With clubs still able to sign free transfers, think we could have a look at a guy like Yepes.

Still has a little in the tank, especially as 4th choice CB.

Hopefully we can bring somebody in short term, but we should have just kept Miquel.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Taylor Gang Gunners said:
Nah, Miquel is far from good enough.

I think he is better than Sylvestre. Miquel is good enough (for 4th)

Yepes or Yobo would be a better choice though

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

Diakite is a free agent apparently.

gstew

Another free agent possibility would be Diego Lugano. But I would prefer Yepes above all others mentioned.

Whether good enough or not, each of these free agents would at least provide comparative options when choosing your team. Instead of playing Hayden or Monreal because we have no one else, it would be nice to choose Hayden or Monreal because they are better than Yepes (or one of the others).

thedon5

truth_hurts said:
Diakite is a free agent apparently.

Joined Deportivo. He was rubbish in the PL anyway.

We have only 23 players registered, so I'd love to see Yepes come in on a year-long contract. Good to have experience in the squad anyway.

MaestroCesc

ScotVieira said:
They gave that sum as the amount of money available...for what? Is that what the Board told them is available for transfers this window or is it just their own calculation?

Perhaps we should know what determines fact (or what fact means) first and also decide if the club has informed Wenger that that much is available for him to spend on transfers this window.
Deary me, please give me a reason why most of that money shouldn't be available to be spent on players?

ScotVieira

Established Member

MaestroCesc said:
ScotVieira said:

Deary me, please give me a reason why most of that money shouldn't be available to be spent on players?
Okay then, that's fine.

It should be available does not mean that it has definitely been made available. You may wish to review what you referred to as fact earlier.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I do wonder sometimes if some of the papers get transfer links from here and twitter, remember reading some guy's argument that we should re-buy Anelka from that Chinese club. Next day, lo and behold there was a piece on "Wenger's interest" in the tabloids.

MaestroCesc

ScotVieira said:
MaestroCesc said:
ScotVieira said:

Okay then, that's fine.

It should be available does not mean that it has definitely been made available. You may wish to review what you referred to as fact earlier.
When did I say that was a fact ffs? Clearly I am making an assumption, but here is the key part. My argument actually has the basis of facts where yours is completely uninformed theory.

Again, you're skipping my questions. Why leave 50m in the bank and not spend half of it?

EDIT: Also if finances are still a big problem, why is Poldi still on our books?

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐

Both arguments are pretty much baseless since we can only rely on PR statements made towards the press. We don't have a clue what the real internal precept is with regards to finances, how much of the club's funds have to be allocated towards reserves for contingencies, be they self imposed or not.

ScotVieira

Established Member

jones said:
Both arguments are pretty much baseless since we can only rely on PR statements made towards the press. We don't have a clue what the real internal precept is with regards to finances, how much of the club's funds have to be allocated towards reserves for contingencies, be they self imposed or not.
You are right.

We don't know; neither do all the other speculators and most of the supposed analysts.

My point all along has been about what has been made available for transfers/wages, which a lot of people on here tend to assume has to be equal to whatever amount the club has. It is quite naive of anyone to think the board have made all money in the club's name available to the manager without realizing that the owners tend to have their budgets for business to be done each window/year.

MaestroCesc

ScotVieira said:
jones said:
You are right.

We don't know; neither do all the other speculators and most of the supposed analysts.

My point all along has been about what has been made available for transfers/wages, which a lot of people on here tend to assume has to be equal to whatever amount the club has. It is quite naive of anyone to think the board have made all money in the club's name available to the manager without realizing that the owners tend to have their budgets for business to be done each window/year.
Oh ffs :lol: its like talking to a brick wall...

Your second paragraph, that wasn't your point. You were saying how we didn't have much left in the budget. Again Scot you are avoiding my questions....

All I have been saying is, we clearly had enough money to buy at least a CB, I also think it was a mistake not to sign Cesc. Please stop going on about this budget crap, you're just repeating yourself trying to sound clever.

ScotVieira

Established Member

MaestroCesc said:
ScotVieira said:
jones said:
You are right.

Oh ffs :lol: its like talking to a brick wall...

Your second paragraph, that wasn't your point. You were saying how we didn't have much left in the budget. Again Scot you are avoiding my questions....

All I have been saying is, we clearly had enough money to buy at least a CB, I also think it was a mistake not to sign Cesc. Please stop going on about this budget crap, you're just repeating yourself trying to sound clever.
Okay first thing: I have no need to try and sound clever...not at my age should I have any need for that especially on a forum where I know no one and may never know anyone.

We, the club, definitely has enough money to buy Cesc and a CB. We actually have enough to even sign Falcao on the same contract as manure have done and also sign a few other top players.

There is a difference between what we have and what we (the club) have decided to spend. I'm sorry if I can't make myself any clearer but every organization has a budget and it is hardly ever the totality of their resources. I have no clue how/what the club has decided to spend and I can only conclude that the budget was not there going by the manner of our dealings. Arsène indicated that he wanted to sign defensive cover and then Giroud suddenly gets injured so the need for a striker became more important to him than that of defensive cover.

The fact that the man said he wanted to get defensive cover and then left it undone but signed a new striker suggests to me that he had to make a choice either to sign a new striker or sign defensive cover. If this is still nonsense to you, so be it.

fabo

6.51 / 10

Striker should have been wrapped up months ago tbf.

And I wouldn't have sanctioned Vermaelen's move unless we had someone lined up. We are criminally short at the back right now, I'd be surprised if that didn't come back to hurt us at some point. And Mert/Kos don't look impressive as it is, for whatever reasons(fatigue, niggling injuries).

I also don't think we were genuinely serious about adding a centre-mid, despite numerous links over the Summer. I did say we wouldn't add a CM back in May I think it was.

Arsenal Quotes

It was a unique moment, a football fairytale. Was there anyone left who still believed I could give that kind of performance? Probably only Arsène Wenger.

Per Mertesacker on Arsenal’s FA Cup Final win over Chelsea on 2017 being his only appearance that season
Top Bottom