• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Under-23s Thread

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Fantastic game from Cozier-Duberry. Good 2nd half from Sagoe Jr aswell. 2 players to watch this season.
Love the little guy, Duberry. So technically gifted. Love that he also has some fight in him, not just a finesse player. And I have been Sagoe's number 1 fan on here for many years lol. He hasn't even shown some of the ridiculous two footed dribbling skills he has in his locker, he has been playing more conservative since his growth spurt, but still always a threat.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
What are the chances Azeez gets a chance instead of Elneny?
Minimal. Azeez has definitely improved his performance level since his failed loan spell but not enough to suggest that he'll play ahead of a player as trusted as Elneny is, unless there's an injury crisis (probably including Elneny). Maybe in the EL he gets a shot but even then I doubt it. Arteta will probably play B team guys like Elneny against Zurich and co.

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
Minimal. Azeez has definitely improved his performance level since his failed loan spell but not enough to suggest that he'll play ahead of a player as trusted as Elneny is, unless there's an injury crisis (probably including Elneny). Maybe in the EL he gets a shot but even then I doubt it. Arteta will probably play B team guys like Elneny against Zurich and co.
The current ardour certain members have for more midfield depth is interesting given this context. It's currently very unlikely any academy products will get significant minutes in any competition. At the moment we currently have 20 outfield players. (I'm including Reiss Nelson & discounting AMN, Bellerin & Marquinhos). Even with a squad this thin, we're currently struggling to fit a plethora of players in the side.

Anytime we're hopeful to field the current gems: Azeez, Matt Smith, Sousa, Edwards, Cozier Durberry, Awe etc, players like ESR, Lokonga, Nelson, Nketiah, Vieira, Tomiyasu, Elneny, Cedric, Holding et al, will be looking bemused.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
U21s won their first EFL Trophy group stage game vs Cambridge 2-0. Butler-Oyedeji got himself a well earned brace. He's toiled hard with not much end product for the last year despite some good overall performances but now he has 3 goals this season. Well done lad.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Love the little guy, Duberry. So technically gifted. Love that he also has some fight in him, not just a finesse player. And I have been Sagoe's number 1 fan on here for many years lol. He hasn't even shown some of the ridiculous two footed dribbling skills he has in his locker, he has been playing more conservative since his growth spurt, but still always a threat.
He looks a fantastic talent but damn he is small. He looks probably a few cm smaller than Sterling even, I worry if that type of player is just too lightweight to have much upside at the top level :/

Thinking of people like Kubo, who are fantastic talents but just will never have enough physicality to be a top player.

Geofranco

He looks a fantastic talent but damn he is small. He looks probably a few cm smaller than Sterling even, I worry if that type of player is just too lightweight to have much upside at the top level :/

Thinking of people like Kubo, who are fantastic talents but just will never have enough physicality to be a top player.
He is pretty aggressive though even with his lack of size. I think with age he'll feel out his frame a bit even if he doesn't get taller. I think he is at least as tall as Santi and Alexis. He doesn't shy away from physical confrontation at all. I like his mentality.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Taylor-Hart is staying (again) which is a silly decision. The kid's 19 and needs grown man football. Unless we're gonna give him EL cameo minutes, I don't see the point of him playing U21 football this season unless they just want to build his fitness. Taking away time from Sagoe Jr and Cozier-Duberry who need the minutes more. I'd like to see Cozier-Duberry get more starts in midfield tbh though, he looks a natural fit for the left 8 role.

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
Us academy advocates must be buzzing no? The lack of transfer activity in certain positions means more opportunity to see academy products. I'm hopefully earmarking RW, CM, & DM positions especially.
We will hopefully see:

Marquinhos, Nelson - RW
Smith, Henry Francis - CM

We could also see Ibrahim - DM but I think it's unlikely. Despite being the player likely to play there for the U21s, He's barely featured at that level as is. One to keep an eye on.

Afro Mugo

He is pretty aggressive though even with his lack of size. I think with age he'll feel out his frame a bit even if he doesn't get taller. I think he is at least as tall as Santi and Alexis. He doesn't shy away from physical confrontation at all. I like his mentality.
Tbf he's still only just turned 17 he's not done with his growth. Saka used to be as tiny at some point. A feature about both, they have always been aggressive with incredible balance. I think I saw someone who watched ACD the first time recently in midfield and he commented that he looked like a young Kante.

Afro Mugo

Taylor-Hart is staying (again) which is a silly decision. The kid's 19 and needs grown man football. Unless we're gonna give him EL cameo minutes, I don't see the point of him playing U21 football this season unless they just want to build his fitness. Taking away time from Sagoe Jr and Cozier-Duberry who need the minutes more. I'd like to see Cozier-Duberry get more starts in midfield tbh though, he looks a natural fit for the left 8 role.
As we are slowly learning in football the most important ability is the ability to stay fit. Taylor's Hart's fitness seems to let him down over and over since he turned a scholar. I don't think he's ever had a complete season. He's played at most six months. He reminds me a lot of Ben Sheaf; incredibly gifted players who just can't stay fit.

Geofranco

Tbf he's still only just turned 17 he's not done with his growth. Saka used to be as tiny at some point. A feature about both, they have always been aggressive with incredible balance. I think I saw someone who watched ACD the first time recently in midfield and he commented that he looked like a young Kante.
Don't think Saka was ever that small. He was always very powerful. They have different body types. Duberry reminds a bit of 12/13 Santi Cazorla with how he tries to play, but obviously not as two footed or as potent an outside shooter, although Santi seemed to lose his shooting ability over time for whatever reason. I can also see some Kante in him for sure, he is so aggressive and has very good stamina. He is a well rounded athlete for such a small lad.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
If anyone deserves to get 1st team cameos this season, it's one of Lino Sousa or Amario Cozier-Duberry. I could see Matt Smith or Jack Henry-Francis getting a shot with the injuries but based potential, form and talent, it's gotta be one of the two I named.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
Had huge expectations of azeez. But going on loan to Ibiza at this stage doesn't look promising.

Geofranco

Had huge expectations of azeez. But going on loan to Ibiza at this stage doesn't look promising.
He has the talent, but don't know if he has the mentality for top level football. That's just as important as physical and technical ability. Nketiah doesn't have raw talent, but always had the right mentality from day one.

Geofranco

If anyone deserves to get 1st team cameos this season, it's one of Lino Sousa or Amario Cozier-Duberry. I could see Matt Smith or Jack Henry-Francis getting a shot with the injuries but based potential, form and talent, it's gotta be one of the two I named.
Henry-Francis is underrated. Good engine, decent technique and thinks the game a step or two ahead. Never gets caught, head always on a swivel and does the dirty work for the team.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Henry-Francis is underrated. Good engine, decent technique and thinks the game a step or two ahead. Never gets caught, head always on a swivel and does the dirty work for the team.
Agree, probably the most unheralded player relative to his abilities.

I don't know what to make of it. I was hoping the Girona loan would work out but honestly if Flores couldn't get La Liga then I'd imagine Azeez coming off the back of a difficult loan wouldn't have fared much better. It is a disappointment though but my hope is that he at least plays every game available. Bottom line, that's the most important thing bar none.
If he is benched early on, then it's a huge blow.

Tom349

Plays the most difficult position on the pitch. Likely still another 2-3 years away from being able to play the position at the highest level and another 2 years away from being standard we need.

Can easily see him being a player who leaves Arsenal then reappears on everyones radar in 5 or so years time.

Arsenal Quotes

When you look at people who are successful, you will find that they aren’t the people who are motivated, but have consistency in their motivation.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom