• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Unpopular Opinion Thread

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
You're pretty spot on from a tactical point of view. There's more to top level football than that though...

We need to up our ability to deliver in high pressure / high stakes games. This goes beyond the players/manager. One could argue it's almost become institutionalised at the club since that fateful evening in 06. I saw a patented @farzad4daarse rant about Arteta needing a shrink etc. He actually has a point -> there's a lot of value that a high performance psychologist can add. We're a young team with a young manager that frankly have a large weight of expectation on their shoulders. And we've seen both collective and individual **** ups in high stakes situations from the manager down to the players. Some of these will hopefully right themselves as they all learn and mature. But to reach the pinnacle of the sport you leave no stone unturned. Shrinks included. If anyone here doesn't know about AC Milan's "Mind Room" in the 90s I'd recommend a quick google.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... my unpopular opinion is that I think @farzad4daarse is right (!?!). Top that...

(My even more unpopular opinion is that there's certain players that turn up in big games, and we don't really have many/any of them. Yet...)

Absolutely

The game goes beyond the technical and tactical aspects of things. Its convenient to blame Rob Holding for our failures late this past season, but that alone isnt the only factors. Our struggles during the pressure moments (Liverpool, West Ham, Southampton, Brighton, Forest) has more to do with us not being able to rise to the occasion, when it was needed.

Granted the Newcastle away performance was top notch though. Something I think you are alluding to here, in that we were able to withstand the pressured situation, and against all odds come out on top.

Lets hope we grow more in this area, because no matter how technically sound we are... will there always be this aspect we need to get on top of.

Nunowoolmez

Established Member
Absolutely

The game goes beyond the technical and tactical aspects of things. Its convenient to blame Rob Holding for our failures late this past season, but that alone isnt the only factors. Our struggles during the pressure moments (Liverpool, West Ham, Southampton, Brighton, Forest) has more to do with us not being able to rise to the occasion, when it was needed.

Granted the Newcastle away performance was top notch though. Something I think you are alluding to here, in that we were able to withstand the pressured situation, and against all odds come out on top.

Lets hope we grow more in this area, because no matter how technically sound we are... will there always be this aspect we need to get on top of.
I think we have shown in small doses that we CAN do it, but in lesser clutch games.

As in against Utd, Sp**s, coming back against Bournemouth, a few more I'm probably forgetting. But yeah, we haven't found a way to win the really big clutch games.

We lost 4 points by not seeing out games Vs Liverpool & West Ham when 2 nil up in each & that is unacceptable at this level. It's those situations we simply must improve on.

We have closed the gap massively, now we just have to keep working on closing it a bit more.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Guys Argentina won the World Cup with the best sports psychologist in the world named Emi Martinez......... I think this idea of a magic mental guru who will solve all our choking problems is pixie dust stuff and unrealistic. If Arteta is good enough he can be that mental guru.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
Xhaka-Partey-Ødegaard we’re the best midfielders in this league outside of Man City.

It shouldn’t be an unpopular opinion but this forum seems to think West Ham had a better midfield.

Yep. Our midfield was the best part of our team this season. We dominated the midfield of most teams in the league.

However, have to include Zinchenko with them too.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Xhaka-Partey-Ødegaard we’re the best midfielders in this league outside of Man City.

It shouldn’t be an unpopular opinion but this forum seems to think West Ham had a better midfield.

"All in their prime, I guarantee you... it's Rice plus one of Vieira or Gilberto in a combined 11"

... wouldn't even put it past some people thinking this, tbh.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Partey, Zinny, Jesus, Tierney & Tomi are all crocks and last seasons initial win rate was the result of unprecedented luck with injuries, we will now return to Arsenal injury business as usual (C)

GDeep™

League is very weak
Jesus isn’t good enough and maybe getting to “crock” status.

Rice is way too expensive even though I understand it with English tax, age, PL experience.

Saka in back to back seasons has fallen off at business ends of the season.

Ramsdale being poor at penalties is a massive disadvantage going into the CL and KO football.

Probably 250M spent this summer and I’m not sure we’ll improve as a team on last season.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Jesus isn’t good enough and maybe getting to “crock” status.

Rice is way too expensive even though I understand it with English tax, age, PL experience.

Saka in back to back seasons has fallen off at business ends of the season.

Ramsdale being poor at penalties is a massive disadvantage going into the CL and KO football.

Probably 250M spent this summer and I’m not sure we’ll improve as a team on last season.

All these spot on, last point I'm still willing to wait and see tho. I didn't see the drastic improvement last summer that'd happen.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

1693564449808.png

1693564507280.png

Not going to say who these 98% pass acuracy maps belong to, but they are both from the same season in 2022 this is the unpopular opinion I hold deep within my heart but it's not safe to say yet.

Maybe one day.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Looks like Rice?

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

• Funny
Reactions: A_G

Arsenal Quotes

I believe one of the best things about managing people is that we can influence lives in a positive way. That’s basically what a manager is about. When I can do that, I am very happy.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom