• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The we almost signed them Thread

Who should we have signed?

• Total voters

Balboa

We couldn’t afford Zaha otherwise he’d be here. Getting cussed like the rest, cause he’s not 19 signed on the cheap.

Zaha isn’t the same player on the right, he’s best used left or centrally (nowadays). I actually don’t know how he would have worked out because of this.

:lol::lol::lol:

How to defeat your own points with hypocrisy, a story in 3 acts...

1) Dismiss people for advocating reasonable prudence, by which they mean less marquee signings, like Pepe, Lacazette, Aubameyang, Özil, Alexis, Partey, Grealish etc... in favour of more proven domestically, but less flash signings under £30 million, to build a spine, like Bissouma at Brighton or Doucoure back at Watford, or James Ward Prowse before he signed his new contract....

2) Accuse others of talking like it's their own money...

3) Say "We couldn’t afford Zaha otherwise he’d be here. Getting cussed like the rest, cause he’s not 19 signed on the cheap." Thus accepting the limitations of the budget, where a player was signed for £72 million due to structured payments not available for a Zaha signing, when it suits your view point (not when others are using it for a different point) and also talking like it's your own money.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Yeah it’s a neither for me as well.

We scouted Pepe and didn’t bother to try and replicate the conditions that made us buy him. Same thing would have happened with Zaha imo.

I’d have loved him though. Till the day left.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Yeah it’s a neither for me as well.

We scouted Pepe and didn’t bother to try and replicate the conditions that made us buy him. Same thing would have happened with Zaha imo.

I’d have loved him though. Till the day left.

My thing with Wilf is though he can succeed in most systems because he’s much more involved with the build up.

He’s happy picking the ball up deeper and taking on his man.

Balboa

Neither, because both were too expensive and Arsenal have been without a proper midfield for years.

Someone in the price range of Ismaila Sarr, who cost Watford £30 million during the same window, or less was the right kind of level for where Arsenal's squad was. The funds saved from that needed to be diverted to rebuild the midfield.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

:lol::lol::lol:

How to defeat your own points with hypocrisy, a story in 3 acts...

1) Dismiss people for advocating reasonable prudence, by which they mean less marquee signings, like Pepe, Lacazette, Aubameyang, Özil, Alexis, Partey, Grealish etc... in favour of more proven domestically, but less flash signings under £30 million, to build a spine, like Bissouma at Brighton or Doucoure back at Watford, or James Ward Prowse before he signed his new contract....

2) Accuse others of talking like it's their own money...

3) Say "We couldn’t afford Zaha otherwise he’d be here. Getting cussed like the rest, cause he’s not 19 signed on the cheap." Thus accepting the limitations of the budget, where a player was signed for £72 million due to structured payments not available for a Zaha signing, when it suits your view point (not when others are using it for a different point) and also talking like it's your own money.
Don't know who you are or what on earth you're talking about tbh, sorry.

For the record though, I really wanted Wilf - I just think we would have complained as a fanbase regardless of who we bought.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I think Zaha would have worked here because Emery wanted him and clearly he watched him and knew how to use him at least, Pepe was just thrown at Unai despite being a different player who doesn't even play on the same side as Zaha.

Saka-Auba-Zaha...Pierre would have loved that.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I think Zaha would have worked here because Emery wanted him and clearly he watched him and knew how to use him at least, Pepe was just thrown at Unai despite being a different player who doesn't even play on the same side as Zaha.

Saka-Auba-Zaha...Pierre would have loved that.
Wilf has rarely played on the right though. He is main man at Palace and he would have been a cog here out of position.

He certainly had more of a chance than Pepe, but I'm fairly certain he would have been a divisive player due to his age, price tag and habitually low numbers.

He's sort of bucked that trend having a free role upfront for Palace this season, something else we were unlikely to do with Emery/Arteta here.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

My thing with Wilf is though he can succeed in most systems because he’s much more involved with the build up.

He’s happy picking the ball up deeper and taking on his man.
That is true. He’d definitely do better especially in Emery’s system where people who just made stuff happen worked *cough* Douzi *cough*.

Under Arteta though...seems way too risk averse for that. Having said that Unai might still be here if he had gotten Wilf.

goonerfamily

To be fair, at the time, we needed a left footed right winger more. I'm not critical of the club for the Pepe deal. Overall, it hasn't worked out but he was the right age profile, looked talented and had potential to increase in value - this is the type of transfer we should make.

I would rather take a punt on more Pepes than waste resources on more Cedrics and Willians.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member
Don't think this thread is in the right place, who cares though another inconsistent player would have preferred we signed neither or pepe and used the money to sign partey who still had the same 45 million release clause and perhaps a defender who we could have actually used.

OSBK

Established Member
Zaha last season wasnt exactly pulling up trees was he. Even this season in a wierd time where everyman and his dog can score he aint doing much.

I do quite like zaha but if we had signed him im confident we wouldve all been sitting here wondering if it wouldve been better to sign pepe.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I think Zaha better than pepe but imo Zaha to face similar pepe problems will play against low block teams opponents will double him up like they doing with Pepe and that will force him either pass it back or try win a foul him and pepe more suited for counter attacking teams put pepe at palace he'll have same impact open space to run both are bad transfers for 70m

Sweet'n'Soulful

Yet another banned account of Jury
Wilf is ****ing average to rubbish. I can’t believe people actually rate him. Moderately quick, moany diving **** with stats a RB would be embarrassed of. He’s actually got a fan club on here... Can only be his fancy surname. Bewildering.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Wilf is ****ing average to rubbish. I can’t believe people actually rate him. Moderately quick, moany diving **** with stats a RB would be embarrassed of. He’s actually got a fan club on here... Can only be his fancy surname. Bewildering.
He is more than average, but not better than Pepe.
Wilf is allowed to do whatever he wants on the pitch, he can constantly lose the ball and nobody cares. That wouldn't be accepted here because Pepe is getting slaughtered by the manager and the fans for exactly the same reason.
Pepe had a better last season playing less, now the only argument for Wilf is that he is having a better season, but we compare him to our player who doesn't even play.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I also don't see Zaha working here.

Late twenties, 80 plus mil, loses the ball, single digit number returns every season and plays for fouls - he'd get slaughtered here lets be honest.

His best football has been on the left or centrally this season, I don't know if we would have accommodated that.

I'm a fan though, kinda relieved he didn't come here tbh.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Zaha would be good transfer at that 30m so was pepe the market value is so f**ked up these days. After the pepe transfer we'll need to learn how to value players and not fall into traps

Arsenal Quotes

It works. I am just waiting until everyone has copied it, then I shall come up with something new.

Herbert Chapman on the famous WM formation
Top Bottom