• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Would love to have Calvert Lewin here. All round striker, big heart, you’ll be sorted.

He can hold up play well, makes runs in behind and score goals. He's also fairly quick.

Problem is Everton are probably slightly ahead of us now, and they're pretty well backed financially with a world class manager in charge. Even if we could afford the ridiculous wee Everton would want, why would he leave? For me only if City, Chelsea or maybe if United got in Allegri, would you even think of leaving Everton if you're DCL.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
If you take Messi away from this chart (which you kinda have to cos he's gone Full Saiyan recently), Dembele is looking like the best forward in La Liga. His form has been fantastic this season, by the summer he'll have 1 year on his deal and Barca desperately need money.

I know it's become almost a joke but is there not a serious case that we should be looking at him to improve our attack? We talk seriously about wanting Grealish as a creative force, why not Dembele? It's a risk with his injury history, but consider the fact he could cost as little as 40m and his ceiling is so high, is it a risk worth taking? 24 soon, at an age where things could click for him.

One idea is to get a Laca upgrade at CF, I like that idea too, the other is to just put Auba at CF and get the ball to him in dangerous areas, for that you want an elite creator to get the ball into the penalty area, exactly what Grealish/Sancho do, and exactly what Dembele is doing. Surely if we had Dembele/Saka/Pepe/ESR creating Auba would put them away?

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Pretty sure Dembele doesn't want to leave Barca but frankly players don't always get what they want, wouldn't be the first time a player is sold to ease a club's financial problems. If Barca want to protect their future assets like Fati and De Jong then tbh I can see Dembele being the one they have to sacrifice. I know he cost way more, but I really think 40-50m gets him, Barca are that desperate.

If we don't go for him someone else will and it could be an extremely good deal. For example if Dortmund still want 100m for Sancho, Utd could do a lot worse than spend half that amount on Dembele.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Some potential bargains to be had this summer:

FW - Dembele (1 year on deal, Barca desperate)
FW - Depay (free)
CF - Odsonne Edouard (1 year on deal)
CF - Alexander Isak (under the radar)
AM - Ødegaard (pushes to leave, Madrid need to raise funds)
RB - Mazraoui (1 year on deal, under the radar)
LB - Robin Gosens (1 year on deal)
LB - Jordan Amavi (free)
CB - Tarkowski (1 year on deal)
CM - Renato Sanches (2 years on deal, under the radar)
FW - Manor Solomon (2 years on deal, under the radar)
CM - Yves Bissouma (2 years on deal, pushes to leave)
AM - Rodrigo de Paul (pushes to leave)

Not the only players out there, just possible players to be bought for less than their potential value. Guys like Grealish or Aouar are still the dream obviously, but you're paying full whack for them.

Last edited:

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

He can hold up play well, makes runs in behind and score goals. He's also fairly quick.

Problem is Everton are probably slightly ahead of us now, and they're pretty well backed financially with a world class manager in charge. Even if we could afford the ridiculous wee Everton would want, why would he leave? For me only if City, Chelsea or maybe if United got in Allegri, would you even think of leaving Everton if you're DCL.

Ivan Toney is the Aldi version of him as others have said.

We can afford him but like you say as soon as DCL went on that scoring run he was a pipe dream like Grealish.

Tir Na Nog

Ivan Toney is the Aldi version of him as others have said.

We can afford him but like you say as soon as DCL went on that scoring run he was a pipe dream like Grealish.

We're gonna have to be a bit more clever, we're getting into a situation now that although we're decent financially, if we're constantly finishing mid-table we'll have to start looking maybe down the league or into the championship. Toney has been tearing it up this year, he might be worth the gamble.

My heart is still set on Edouard, for me he's just crying out for a team like us take a chance on him.

Tom349

Some potential bargains to be had this summer:

FW - Dembele (1 year on deal, Barca desperate)
FW - Depay (free)
CF - Odsonne Edouard (1 year on deal)
CF - Alexander Isak (under the radar)
AM - Ødegaard (pushes to leave, Madrid need to raise funds)
RB - Mazraoui (1 year on deal, under the radar)
LB - Robin Gosens (1 year on deal)
LB - Jordan Amavi (free)
CB - Tarkowski (1 year on deal)
CM - Renato Sanches (2 years on deal, under the radar)
FW - Manor Solomon (2 years on deal, under the radar)
CM - Yves Bissouma (2 years on deal, pushes to leave)
AM - Rodrigo de Paul (pushes to leave)

Not the only players out there, just possible players to be bought for less than their potential value. Guys like Grealish or Aouar are still the dream obviously, but you're paying full whack for them.

I think targeting players with one year left on their deals is the way to go. Especially given the financial issues clubs are having with Covid, will give them very little choice but to sell for less than what they would normally be asking for these players.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

We're gonna have to be a bit more clever, we're getting into a situation now that although we're decent financially, if we're constantly finishing mid-table we'll have to start looking maybe down the league or into the championship. Toney has been tearing it up this year, he might be worth the gamble.

My heart is still set on Edouard, for me he's just crying out for a team like us take a chance on him.

Leicester, Villa and West Ham have all done it regularly and look at them now.

Tir Na Nog

I can already see the groans tho if we start getting linked to a lot of championship players. :lol:

Then again imagine if we signed Maddison when Leicester signed him, or heck if we took a chance on Grealish while Villa were struggling in the championship. I can imagine the uproar on here just at being linked but it just goes to show what can happen when you take these sort of gambles.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐

I'm not disagreeing that the Championship should be looked at, but don't we have to distinguish between a good PL level player and a good CL level player?

You mention Leicester, Villa and West Ham, but only one of those teams is CL level and their success is built on the back of Vardy, a player bought from the Conference into the Championship who turned into an elite striker...but like, that's not a repeatable thing, that's an extreme one-off. The lower leagues aren't full of Vardy's.

Watkins for example is a very good player PL player, great pick-up from Villa, but it's a stretch to say he's a good CL striker. Toney likewise no doubt could step up to PL, but don't we need more than that? We need to step up to CL level.

I think PL teams would be wise to pick up the best Championship talents, lots of PL level talents down there, but not all of them are CL talents.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I'm not disagreeing that the Championship should be looked at, but don't we have to distinguish between a good PL level player and a good CL level player?

You mention Leicester, Villa and West Ham, but only one of those teams is CL level and their success is built on the back of Vardy, a player bought from the Conference into the Championship who turned into an elite striker...but like, that's not a repeatable thing, that's an extreme one-off. The lower leagues aren't full of Vardy's.

Watkins for example is a very good player PL player, great pick-up from Villa, but it's a stretch to say he's a good CL striker. Toney likewise no doubt could step up to PL, but don't we need more than that? We need to step up to CL level.

I think PL teams would be wise to pick up the best Championship talents, lots of PL level talents down there, but not all of them are CL talents.

Depends what you want your striker to do? If we supposedly want an all rounder you can put quality playmakers and inside forwards around him and still compete.

I like his game a lot and he could help us get back to the CL. Like what Abraham and Mount did for Chelsea last year straight from the Championship.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Depends what you want your striker to do? If we supposedly want an all rounder you can put quality playmakers and inside forwards around him and still compete.

I like his game a lot and he could help us get back to the CL. Like what Abraham and Mount did for Chelsea last year straight from the Championship.

I've not watched Toney closely so who am I to say what his ceiling is, he looks to have good aerial ability and all-round play, and 72 goals since 2018-19 is an impressive record at any level.

I'm just saying there's a difference between "he's way too good for the Championship" and "he's good enough for CL". Like absolutely look at the best Championship players, but don't go overboard with it.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Like say you want a midfielder, are you gonna say Josh Dasilva is as good as Houssem Aouar? Not a slight on Dasilva, he'll be in the PL soon enough, but we have to recognise there are levels of quality in this game and we need to be aiming for the very best.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
I like his game a lot and he could help us get back to the CL.
This is a key point. We're nowhere near even thinking about what someone can do in the CL at this time. It's even challenging to get in that position that we need to think about.

Check

I want us to go all out on Grealish. Even if it means that it will be our only signing. A front four of Grealish, ESR, Saka and Auba would be so good. Let the three Englishmen create for Auba and he will score for fun. They can all interchange positions as well so we would be very dangerous.

Pick up a LB for free (Amavi or Mitchell). Only thing I'm concerned about then is RB but that could be solved the season after or with selling Bellerin and buying a replacement from that money.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
I want us to go all out on Grealish. Even if it means that it will be our only signing. A front four of Grealish, ESR, Saka and Auba would be so good. Let the three Englishmen create for Auba and he will score for fun. They can all interchange positions as well so we would be very dangerous.

Pick up a LB for free (Amavi or Mitchell). Only thing I'm concerned about then is RB but that could be solved the season after or with selling Bellerin and buying a replacement from that money.

Tbh I'd accept another season of Bellerin and Xhaka if it meant having Grealish in the team. Elite talent, instantly takes us up a level.

Check

Tbh I'd accept another season of Bellerin and Xhaka if it meant having Grealish in the team. Elite talent, instantly takes us up a level.

Yeah agree. Grealish is just elite. I also think having one playmaker on the wing suits our game more with Auba up top. Look at how Smith-Rowe and Ødegaard were able to combine and find spaces. Way more important than only having direct wingers imo. Grealish has the same connection with Barkley at Villa. Think he can replicate that partnership with Smith-Rowe here. It will lift-up our general play so much more. And tbf, Xhaka is playing well since that red card. If (and that's a big if, given his history) he can mantain this form, he is a starter for me next to Partey in the long-term.

Arsenal Quotes

I am immensely proud to say that I am the manager who has won the most FA Cups, and MY Arsenal are the club to lift it the most.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom