• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

They are called Referees

Are you for VAR or not?

• Total voters

ptrcopp

This article says that this kind of double yellow has never been given in EPL before.

It also says that Ferdinand, Owen and Savage were all against the decision and thought it was harsh.

I have disagreed with them before about referee decisions and I’m happy to here. I agree with Arteta, a referee does have to be willing to give it, but Oliver is that referee. Oliver gave Di Maria a yellow for simulation and an immediate second yellow for touching him. That was a Man Utd match against us.

It was stupid and petulant from Martinelli.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

"Former Premier League referee Mark Halsey has had his say on Michael Oliver's decision to award Gabriel Martinelli a red card during Arsenal's win over Wolves."

---

"Now, Halsey has admitted that Oliver's decision to brandish a red card was harsh on Martinelli, claiming that the referee should have stopped the game after the first offence."

---

"“Referee, Michael Oliver, was correct in law to issue two cautions at the same time for two offences, but I believe he should have managed the incidents better than he did for a referee of his calibre.

“If Oliver wanted to caution Martinelli for the first offence he should have stopped the game as the offence occurred.”"

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Did any one of these prats ever come out and explain Godfrey’s stamp on Tomiyasu against Everton, and how on earth he stayed on the pitch?

Jackie_Treehorn

Player:Martinelli
I see a lot going on that could have led to Martinelli’s sending off.

Oliver seemed pretty lenient on both sides early, which got the home crowd pissing and moaning on every possible Arsenal foul. But a good ref will be consistent-if you let them play early on, let them play for the full 90. Of course it could be argued that those later fouls were more egregious than the early ones, and I was watching while at work. I could be mistaken.

It appeared to me he was losing patience and starting to be swayed by the crowd and the Wolves players huddling around him every time there was a foul, time-wasting, Laca play-acting, etc.

But our guys didn’t read the ref’s body language and the fact that we were the away team. You just don’t get as many calls on the road. They did too much screwing around - time wasting, rolling on the floor. Oliver looked fed up, rightly or wrongly. He was swayed by the constant whining by Wolves players and fans. He didn’t caution Martinelli on the first foul, which I think was probably a yellow. Stop the game, caution the player, restart with a proper throw-in. Oliver ****ed up, but our guys pushed it too far.

Now, I hate it when my team cries, delays, rolls around after every foul. It’s just not my style in sport. It’s cringeworthy. I agree with the poster who said if we’d have come out to play in the 2nd half none of this would’ve come up. But every team does this stuff. Why does it feel like when Burnley are up 1-0 in the 85th min with a goal kick and their keeper adjusts every tuft of grass within a 12 foot radius of the ball, the commentators have a wry laugh and say something like “you know he’ll take his time with this…” No caution. Nothing. But lately if we do any of that, it’s “now the fans think Arsenal are taking too long with this free kick…” I’d prefer our guys were confident enough to get on with the game, but damn it feels like we’re not allowed any leeway. As if after Oliver sent off di Maria in that FA Cup game years ago that was our last break. Ever.

DUFFMAN

Crybaby
He w
I see a lot going on that could have led to Martinelli’s sending off.

Oliver seemed pretty lenient on both sides early, which got the home crowd pissing and moaning on every possible Arsenal foul. But a good ref will be consistent-if you let them play early on, let them play for the full 90. Of course it could be argued that those later fouls were more egregious than the early ones, and I was watching while at work. I could be mistaken.

It appeared to me he was losing patience and starting to be swayed by the crowd and the Wolves players huddling around him every time there was a foul, time-wasting, Laca play-acting, etc.

But our guys didn’t read the ref’s body language and the fact that we were the away team. You just don’t get as many calls on the road. They did too much screwing around - time wasting, rolling on the floor. Oliver looked fed up, rightly or wrongly. He was swayed by the constant whining by Wolves players and fans. He didn’t caution Martinelli on the first foul, which I think was probably a yellow. Stop the game, caution the player, restart with a proper throw-in. Oliver ****ed up, but our guys pushed it too far.

Now, I hate it when my team cries, delays, rolls around after every foul. It’s just not my style in sport. It’s cringeworthy. I agree with the poster who said if we’d have come out to play in the 2nd half none of this would’ve come up. But every team does this stuff. Why does it feel like when Burnley are up 1-0 in the 85th min with a goal kick and their keeper adjusts every tuft of grass within a 12 foot radius of the ball, the commentators have a wry laugh and say something like “you know he’ll take his time with this…” No caution. Nothing. But lately if we do any of that, it’s “now the fans think Arsenal are taking too long with this free kick…” I’d prefer our guys were confident enough to get on with the game, but damn it feels like we’re not allowed any leeway. As if after Oliver sent off di Maria in that FA Cup game years ago that was our last break. Ever.
He wouldn’t let tierney use the towel the second time he tried a long throw.

Let’s just think of the many times this tactic has been used against Arsenal and the time the opposing team is allowed to prepare.

Don’t know what it is with us but we seem canon fodder for opposing fans and refs.

Keplaz

Saw this posted on Twitter. ****ing unreal! For the life of me I cannot think this is caused by ill discipline from Arsenal's side.

This chart is bad. It suggests we make more dangerous fouls than everyone else, or something else is happening. I think something else

I think Arteta said it very well about Martinelli's red. A ref has to want to give it, and for some reason, they always seem willing against us.

Arsenal Quotes

You weren’t world-class when Arsenal signed you

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom