• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Unai Emery:
Three european cups
One ligue 1 title
2 coupe de france
2 coupe de la ligue
2 trophee des champions

Some mighty fine stats

Every bum can win the EL, if there's a proper CL team in it they win by default. Atletico last season, Chelsea this, even Utd before that. Emery won against Benfica, a ridiculous Liverpool dragged to the final by Klopp and Dnipro something ffs. It's really a poverty competition.

And winning stuff in France with PSG...:rolleyes:

arsenefc

Obsessed With Guendouzi
2006-13 is his best work. Better than the titles, invincible season etc.

You can say we have undone all that work now though. The club hasn’t built or kicked on.
i would say his best work was from the 8-2 to the FA cup win against chelsea (beating mancity in the semi).

He squeezed blood out of stone, managed to get the board to buy him some players, built a team out of stones that other builders rejected, and made sure the new generation came through.

Arteta the average, Mert the tortoise, Kos the lightweight, Podolski the lazy, Santi the small, Coquelin the clogger, Giroud the lamp post etc etc....and who can forget the likes of Benayoun, chamakh, gervinho who all contributed. and then the opportunistic buys of Özil and sanchez. sexy football was back.

on a side note, does anyone else believe he threw the manU 8-2 game to force the board to cough up money?

When he took coquelin off in that game, thats what it felt like to me.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
We don't see eye to eye on Emery and I do doubt the weigth of rebuild to a certain degree, but I agree with you here.

I always found the comparison to post Ferguson not fitting, because in my book that's one of the biggest **** ups in football. You have to be a certain kind of stupid to **** the bed like they did. Even more than Gazidis and co.

But yeah, if we are to see another season like this it's at least keeping level with the last two. You can still go from there. I would be more concerned if it was 5 EL seasons in a row or even dropping out of that, but I doubt Wolves, Everton etc are there yet to seriously challenge for Top 6 next season.

I think this season was a big learning curve for Emery and I'm curious to see if he's able to adapt. He obviously prioritised Europa League which, in hindsight, was a massive blunder becasue a) we lost and b) we only missed top4 by one point despite playing clowns like Jenkinson, Lichsteiner and Elneny in the run-in.

It's a bit concerning because he saw Europa League as an easier way to achieve CL football which means he wasn't confident enough to put our stock in the league performances. I'm of an opinion you need to build your team by consistently beign competitive in the league and then build on the success in non-domestic competition(s).

I hope we prioritise the league and take Europa as an added bonus where we can test some youngsters and see where this gets us. Unfortunately we don't have the squad depth to be competitive on two fronts but I do think we have the quality to be a top4 team.

Toby

What does that make Wenger then?

Why bring up Wenger again? Should be clear that 17/18 was as subpar as 18/19 on all fronts and that him failing to win that thing was part of why he had to go. It was a bottlejob by Wenger and it was a bottlejob by Emery. The EL is a poverty competition completely outside of any discussion about Wenger, Emery or Arsenal.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Why bring up Wenger again? Should be clear that 17/18 was as subpar as 18/19 on all fronts and that him failing to win that thing was part of why he had to go. It was a bottlejob by Wenger and it was a bottlejob by Emery. The EL is a poverty competition completely outside of any discussion about Wenger, Emery or Arsenal.
Look how piss poor you're being to Emery though. Wenger hasn't ever won a european trophy in 1000 years and lost to Galatasaray in a final. You're on weak ground if you're taking the piss out of emery's triumphs. Avoid the subject. Simple as that. If you go there, I'll tee-off. You're begging for it :lol:

Toby

Look how piss poor you're being to Emery though. Wenger hasn't ever won a european trophy in 1000 years and lost to Galatasaray in a final. You're on weak ground if you're taking the piss out of emery's triumphs. Avoid the subject. Simple as that. If you go there, I'll tee-off. You're begging for it :lol:

Don't tell me off you paranoid mug. Have you thought about sticking a picture of Wenger on a punching bag instead of getting on everyones' nerves on here?

blaze_of_glory

Emery did one game better than Wenger in the EL with Arsenal and had a stronger squad that included Auba, easily our most important player during this season's run. Put him in the last year's EL team and we'd at the very least have made the final.

And really comparing Emery's accomplishments to Wenger's is very weak ground for Emery at this point, he's got a loooong way to go. Needs to at the very least win a big league without being head and shoulders above the competition in terms of finances. PSG is the Man City of France, and it's a much weaker league. They've won 6 of the past 7 titles, regardless of manager. Them not winning three years ago (with Emery in charge) was seen as a complete embarrassment.

Pointless to compare the two right now considering how much younger Emery is anyway. And he's been at Arsenal one season vs Wenger's 22. It's apples to oranges. Wenger has a legacy, Emery has a contract.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Europa League is a bum competition though, no matter who wins it. Emery got embarrassed by Chelsea in the final while Wenger got beat in the semi finals by one of the top 3/4 teams on the planet.

Arsenal lost to Galatasaray on penalties in the UEFA Cup, how you can hold that against Wenger is beyond me. UEFA Cup back then was very prestigious, not like the bum Emery League Cup now which has to have the incentive of a CL place for it to mean anything.

Last edited:

GDeep™

League is very weak
Why can’t we discuss anything here without people going back to Wenger?

Did Wenger pick the team against Chelsea? We were clueless no matter the players, that’s on Emery.

Did Wenger drop points against Leicester, Wolves, Brighton, Palace, Everton etc when 3rd was available?

Last edited:

Preacher

Always Crying
1. Trolls and/or nonces mention Wenger in their posts dedicated to Emery.
2. Good posters take the bait, long (not nice) discussion begins.
3. Everybody gets bored, fighting stops.
4. Rinse and repeat.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Don't tell me off you paranoid mug. Have you thought about sticking a picture of Wenger on a punching bag instead of getting on everyones' nerves on here?
I'd rather be paranoid than get personal on the internet to strangers. So well done for that, big lad.

If Emery is going to be slaughtered for the same things Wenger did, then just for perspective, his name may crop up from time to time. If you don't like it, log off. There aren't any rules about who is or isn't allowed to be mentioned. If it burns you to the point of insults, see a shrink.

I'm here all ****ing day pal :)

Toby

get personal on the internet to strangers. So well done for that, big lad.

As if you're not one doing this all the time. I mean, what's your consistent slagging off of Wenger if not exactly that? Then you basically telling me to shut up. Not taking this BS from you.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Europa League is a bum competition though, no matter who wins it. Emery got embarrassed by Chelsea in the final while Wenger got beat in the semi finals by one of the top 3/4 teams on the planet.

Arsenal lost to Galatasaray on penalties in the UEFA Cup, how you can hold that against Wenger is beyond me. UEFA Cup back then was very prestigious, not like the bum Emery League Cup now which has to have the incentive of a CL place for it to mean anything.
This is why I bring up Wenger. ****e like this.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
As if you're not one doing this all the time. I mean, what's your consistent slagging off of Wenger if not exactly that? Then you basically telling me to shut up. Not taking this BS from you.
Not personal, no. But great, as you were then, He-Man.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Why can’t we discuss anything here without people going back to Wenger?
Have you seen other threads on here lately? His name pops up all the time.

It's like this. You can't dig too deep about the state of current affairs without acknowledging at some point how we got here. But a lot of people want to do that. The previous regime will get brought up because that's kind of where it goes. It wont be ignored because a few of you might throw a hissy fit either.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Have you seen other threads on here lately? His name pops up all the time.

It's like this. You can't dig too deep about the state of current affairs without acknowledging at some point how we got here. But a lot of people want to do that. The previous regime will get brought up because that's kind of where it goes. It wont be ignored because a few of you might throw a hissy fit either.
Of course there are problems that go back to the old regime, everyone recognises that.

But some things are on Emery and his management and you can’t make excuses for that. The clueless team against Chelsea, the shocking results against Brighton, Palace etc. Emery cost us a CL place.

The style of football is on him, the guy has built his team around Kolasinac cut backs.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Of course there are problems that go back to the old regime, everyone recognises that.

But some things are on Emery and his management and you can’t make excuses for that. The clueless team against Chelsea, the shocking results against Brighton, Palace etc. Emery cost us a CL place.

The style of football is on him, the guy has built his team around Kolasinac cut backs.
Look, it's all been said as far as I'm concerned. The threads a train wreck, consisting of backhanded compliments and outright ****ting on our new manager. The criticism is fine, but it goes beyond that, so lets not pretend. I'm done in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have got as much chance of being handed the title by Sp*rs as I have of being given the Crown Jewels. They are the last people we want winning the Championship. Now we mean to round off our season by beating Arsenal.

Alan Mullery (Sp*rs captain in 1971)

There is no way we were going to be beaten

Bertie Mee in the same game after beating Spurs and clinching the Double at White Hart Lane

Latest posts

Top Bottom