• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Victor Wanyama

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2179530/Manchester-United-Arsenal-join-race-Celtics-Victor-Wanyama.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... nyama.html</a>

Scouts from Arsenal and Man Utd watched him play against Norwich. Im really surprised the fella hasnt been discussed on here previously young, technical, big, strong in the tackle, and has an eye for goal. He is a typical Wenger signing all over. Only concern would be the ACN but Kenya rarely, if ever, qualify. If he is available for 7m I would snap him up in a heart beat considering we are talking about paying 6m for a 19 year old striker who hasnt had has much experience.

Been previously watched by City and Chelsea as well.

Glovegun

Established Member
Re: Wanyama (watched by scouts)

Sounds like a good player but I don't think a DM is needed unless they are top, top quality. I still think that Frimpong has a lot to offer, some people seem to have written him off.

iced22

Never seen him play, all I know is he's African, plays as a CM/DM, and seems to be considered by many as a beast in the making.

Biggest question for me is: does Wanyama have the passing range and tactical discipline required to compete with Arteta, like M'Vila? The lack of cover at DLP is imo our biggest problem in midfield right now.

Yaya

Established Member

How's he in possesion, can he release the ball quickly and retain possesion? Or is he basically a defensive mid that can just defend off ball but lose the ball several times unnecessarily?

Kanonier

Glovegun said:
Sounds like a good player but I don't think a DM is needed unless they are top, top quality. I still think that Frimpong has a lot to offer, some people seem to have written him off.

I agree. I don't know why we don't bring back Frimpong. He is a tough DM and he just needs more opportunity in the team.

musicmonkey

Established Member

Kanonier said:
Glovegun said:

I agree. I don't know why we don't bring back Frimpong. He is a tough DM and he just needs more opportunity in the team.
I think it's largely down to his injury, he needs time to get back into fitness and it's not worth worsening his injury. He took time to regain his sharpness after his last injury so he might need another loan before we can really pull good performances out of him.

The guy has got talent that many don't realise, any one who watched him at Wolves knows he's got something to him. He just needs a nice run of games to calm himself a bit more on the ball, play the simple passes a little better and learn when to use his aggression so he doesn't pick up as many cards.

error_prone

Yaya said:
How's he in possesion, can he release the ball quickly and retain possesion? Or is he basically a defensive mid that can just defend off ball but lose the ball several times unnecessarily?
We are well covered for the second part of your post

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

iced22 said:
Never seen him play, all I know is he's African, plays as a CM/DM, and seems to be considered by many as a beast in the making.

Biggest question for me is: does Wanyama have the passing range and tactical discipline required to compete with Arteta, like M'Vila? The lack of cover at DLP is imo our biggest problem in midfield right now.
He is a good passer off the ball uses it very effectively similiar to Arteta in that regard. But as someone said we have loads of players who can use the ball Wanyama is a DM beast and that is what we need.

say yes

forum master baiter

Heard rave reviews about this guy, if he's good enough - wenger will go for him.

mr.mojo

saw him a few times for celtic this year. seemed decent in the scottish league, couldnt say how good he actually is, but hes definitely a stand out player, but mainly due to his presence, hard to miss a guy that size.

i know he can also play at cb, and he scored a few goals this year too.

seems a strange one considering frimpong will be our back up DM, and we were looking at much higher quality starting DM's. and i thought that bartley would be given his chance at cb, he might still.

but i suppose we scout hundreds of players every year and we never hear about most of them, it could just be routine.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu

He was good with Celtic, but I don't think he is good enough for us.

Definitely at least 100 players out there available in the market there are more suitable for us.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

I understand its probably just routine but the guy has been linked with the top 4 clubs in England so there must be something about him. Personally I think he would be perfect for us but thats just my opinion. It will be a big year for him if Celtic make the Champions League and he performs well it could possibly put him beyond our reach if those other teams firm up their interest.

Anzac

Established Member

Thing is that he doesn't suit our current 3 role midfield with the main defensive role being a B2B ball winner - which is my same arguement re Song.
They are both CB/DM types better suited to playing in an inverted midfield.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/335726" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/335726</a>

Seems we are going to watch him again.

Impact

Established Member

I'd pass on Wanyama. If we are to look for a challenger to Song's position, we should go for top quality only. We have enough development 'diamond in the rough' type players as it is. I'd rather nurture what we have already - Frimpong, Coquelin, Aneke and Ebecilio.

leo_ense

Established Member

****ing Duncan castles. Wanyama was in the back of my mind when he said he would make an announcement. **** this shiet.

jmsmtthw28

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Duncan Castles
#AFC are considering lodging an offer with Celtic for Victor Wanyama as Arsène Wenger prepares to add two more players to his squad ahead of the coming season. Arsenal's manager had the young Kenya international watched for the third time in eight days when Celtic met Internazionale yesterday as part of the Scottish champions 125th anniversary celebrations.

Wanyama, who requested the number 67 shirt in honour of the Lisbon Lions when he joined Celtic last summer, has been assessed by senior scouts Steve Rowley, Pat Rice and Francis Cagigao in rapid succession. An intelligent passer of the ball with good positional sense who thrived in European competition last season, the powerful African is seen as a potential midfield enforcer who could also provide central defensive cover.
If this happen then Coquelin/Frimpong will probably have to be loaned or sold

Yaya

Established Member

How interesting. We're "CONSIDERING" making an offer. Not a bad announcement that was. :roll:

Vela

Established Member

Never seen him play, any one know how good he is?

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

He is very very good. There is a reason us, United, City and Chelsea have been watching him. I honestly think we would be missing out big time if he goes else where and would not consider him a diamond in the rough. He could come straight in and play. Of course people will say but its Scotland need I remind people thats where are own Mikel began playing on these shores and where Henrik Larsson spent most of his career.

Arsenal Quotes

It was a unique moment, a football fairytale. Was there anyone left who still believed I could give that kind of performance? Probably only Arsène Wenger.

Per Mertesacker on Arsenal’s FA Cup Final win over Chelsea on 2017 being his only appearance that season

Latest posts

Top Bottom