• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wenger's Transfer Targets: January 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweggeh

No we don't. Bellerin, Chambers, Gabriel, Flamini, Kos etc. Even Coquelin has played RB before.
Of course we do. We can't mess about our whole team just because we can't be bothered to replace someone. I can't believe people haven't learnt from the defence calamity last year when we went into the season with just 3 CBs. Now you want us to continue with just 1 RB? It doesn't matter who else can "do a job" there. The only potential RB replacement in our team is Chambers, and if we move him then suddenly we are light on CB's. No matter which way you cut it, we need a replacement.

If Arsène could have played without Debuchy, he would have let him leave in the summer. But he told him he needed him. Clearly we will need someone to replace him if he leaves.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Of course we do. We can't mess about our whole team just because we can't be bothered to replace someone. I can't believe people haven't learnt from the defence calamity last year when we went into the season with just 3 CBs. Now you want us to continue with just 1 RB? It doesn't matter who else can "do a job" there. The only potential RB replacement in our team is Chambers, and if we move him then suddenly we are light on CB's. No matter which way you cut it, we need a replacement.

If Arsène could have played without Debuchy, he would have let him leave in the summer. But he told him he needed him. Clearly we will need someone to replace him if he leaves.

Even if I agree, you still have to say the best time to sign is in the summer.

It's hard to sign a good fullback these days, these guys are rare, let alone in January.

Sweggeh

Even if I agree, you still have to say the best time to sign is in the summer.

It's hard to sign a good fullback these days, these guys are rare, let alone in January.
Gabriel, Monreal and Elneny were signed in January. Good players are out there.

And even if Wenger cannot find a decent replacement, he has to just keep Debuchy, simple as that. I know its harsh and Debuchy deserves his chance to be a starter elsewhere but we need to put ourselves first.

Arai

Spam Hunter Bot
I can't see any potential new signing if we look into Wenger press conference today.

Crash, boom, bang!

D

Dial Square 1886

Debuchy will leave. No one will be brought in. We will be short. Surprised? Of course not...

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
If Debuchy goes, Chambers will be back up RB. Elneny has just reduced the chance of Chambers at DM so he has to play somewhere. Wenger paid £16m so he will make sure Chambers is no less than 2nd choice. I'm not saying its a good or bad thing, just that I'm sure this is what will happen.

Sweggeh

If Debuchy goes, Chambers will be back up RB. Elneny has just reduced the chance of Chambers at DM so he has to play somewhere. Wenger paid £16m so he will make sure Chambers is no less than 2nd choice. I'm not saying its a good or bad thing, just that I'm sure this is what will happen.
Then we are down to 3 CBs. An injury to Kos or Per (or both) is all it would take to end our season. And we do all this just to avoid spending £5m on a backup RB. Would be typical Arsenal if it went down like this.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Compared to Iheanacho, the new boys are perhaps not as good. Nwakali though is a super midfielder. He is capable of doing better than Cesc Fabregas did at his young age.
Some of his highlights...watch where he operates from.

Cesc Fabregas was the best young midfielder I've ever seen. We cream ourselves over Veratti who is great but Cesc was doing what Veratti is doing now at like 17 yo. He was just a freak.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Sarcasm or serious? I cannot tell.

Having never been to a major championship I do wonder how that conclusion can be drawn. More exciting fit players currently playing that are better than him.

Like who? He's the most talented player in the England set up and he'll be straight into the England first XI once he's fit.

9jagooner

Compared to Iheanacho, the new boys are perhaps not as good. Nwakali though is a super midfielder. He is capable of doing better than Cesc Fabregas did at his young age.
Some of his highlights...watch where he operates from.
One thing I like about Nwakali is that he's not the typical Nigerian midfielder who likes to hold on too long to the ball and beat two three players before passing the ball. Nwakali is more efficient with the ball and releases it without much fuss. He's also good at making that final pass.
Whether he'll make it at Arsenal depends on a lot of factors, one of which is how many world class players we'll have in midfield come 2018 when Nwakali is ready to make the jump.

LordBump

Debuchy will leave. No one will be brought in. We will be short. Surprised? Of course not...

Yep same story.

Wenger fudging things and crossing fingers.

We need 4 cbs
We need 2 rbs

Juggling players and positions is what has got us in trouble every year.
If he doesn't have a replacement lined up for debuchy, you keep him. It's that simple, no fckn sentiment involved.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Exclusive pictures from @colinUdoh. The boys are in, the medicals are proceeding, and should be announced before deadline. View attachment 669
They probably can't play for us at any level until the summer however, or at least I hope they will be able to.

Here's an interesting article by Colin Udoh about the two players:

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football...es-to-be-world-beaters_sto5093610/story.shtml

Kelechi Nwakali and Samuel Chukwueze came through tough times and bad luck to star for Nigeria and win the Under 17 World Cup. With the write guidance, the sky is the limit at Arsenal, writes Colin Udoh.

At the Diamond Football Academy Christmas party last December, Kelechi Nwakali did something totally unexpected.

He presented his FIFA Under 17 World Cup Bronze Shoe to Samuel Chukwueze, telling the gathering that the trophy rightfully belonged to his contemporary, and he was happy to wait until FIFA sent the second.

FIFA had admitted weeks earlier that the trophy was given to Nwakali by mistake because although both players had the same number of goals and assists, Chukwueze won the tie-breaker by virtue of having played fewer minutes.

Having already presented the award to Nwakali, they would send another to Chukwueze but Nwakali would be allowed to keep his. The youngster felt different and handed his trophy over.

"He is a born leader, and he leads by example," says Morakinyo Abodurin, a Nigeria Under 17 team official. "All the players respect him and look up to him."

That is the kind of quality that will fit perfectly into Arsenal, where lack of leadership has, in recent years, made the whole significantly less than the sum of its parts, leading to over a decade without the league title.

There is still a long way to go until that point, however. For the time being, it is the raw football talent that has persuaded Arsenal to fork out, and Nwakali has that in abundance.

Converted from his loose cannon offensive midfield role to a more tactically aware defensive midfielder by Emmanuel Amuneke, Nwakali has blossomed into an all-round trequartista.

He may not look the most physically imposing of central midfield figures, but he has an abundance of strength on the ball and drive going forward, reminiscent of Patrick Vieira.

Where he trumps the Arsenal legend is his passing. Nwakali not only has the vision to see a pass, he has both the varied range to make the best decision, and the precision to deliver it.

It is something that would make him come across as the love child of Vieira and a female Mesut Özil.

And yet, but for a fortunate bit of ill-timed bad luck, Nwakali might not be sitting across the table signing a contract to play for Arsenal.

In 2013, Nwakali, along with his brother Chidiebere, were part of the Nigeria Under 17 team preparing to play at the World Cup. But a late injury meant he failed to recover on time and was dropped from the squad.

He was devastated. It took the whole team, from coach Manu Garba down, to console him as he left the camp, and assure him that there would be another opportunity.

It wasn't long before the new chance came. Manu was moved to the Under 20s after leading his squad to the world title. His assistant Emmanuel Amunike took over and promptly called Nwakali up, handing him the armband.

He did not disappoint, as his skills and leadership helped propel Nigeria to successfully defend the title they had won two years earlier.

Nwakali was voted MVP. It would be the second time he would claim such an honour. In 2013, he also led his team, Emmanuel Amuneke Soccer Academy to win the Iber Cup in Portugal, and was also voted MVP then.

"He doesn't know how to believe that a match is lost, until the final whistle goes," says Victor Apugo, team manager of Diamond Football Academy. "That's one of his biggest strengths."

Samuel Chukwueze was also in that title-winning Iber Cup squad, scoring 12 goals in 5 games to emerge top scorer.

Like Nwakali, he was also in that 2013 Under 17 squad and like Nwakali, was also locked-in for a place in the final squad, until an ankle injury intervened.

Again like Nwakali, he may also not have seen much playing time two years ago. But that perceived misfortune has proven to be a blessing in disguise. Both youngsters were critical parts of the 2015 team, and while Nwakali orchestrated from deep, Chukwueze terrorized much higher up.

His penchant for attacking the space in front of him with pace and skill have drawn comparisons with Arjen Robben and, wait for it, Leo Messi.

"He can be as good as Arjen Robben," declares Abodunrin. "When a defender gives him the slightest space, he goes for it, and unless there is a second defender, he usually gets past his man."

Victor Apugo, team manager of Diamond Football Academy, who discovered him playing on the streets of Umuahia in south eastern Nigeria, says he can be much better.

"The first thing that struck me about Sammy the first time I saw him was his speed. He can do a lot with his left foot and he had great decision making at that level. He could be as fast as Messi or faster with the ball at his feet."

High praise coming from two people with close contact.

Chukwueze' one weakness was his reluctance to track back, and it almost cost him dearly. During the African Under 17 Championships, Amunike was forced to give him the hairdryer and even threatened to drop the axe on him.

The player listened, started to help his fullback, and kept his place. This willingness to take correction, to learn, will be vital in London, or anywhere else, especially in the event that Arsenal decide to send them out on loan.

While their football skills and abilities are not in doubt, it is what happens off the pitch in these early days that will prove decisive for their future.

Nduka Ugbade captained Nigeria to the Under 17 world title in 1985 and was assistant to Manu Garba when both players were in camp in 2013. He says the right support structure is crucial

"Coping with difficulties will not be a problem for them. It is coping with comfort that worries me," he said. "They have come from a place of hardship to a place of comfort. And there might be the tendency for them to believe they have arrived. If that happens, they might stop working as hard as they should and that will be a problem.

"So it is important that the club provides the kind of support system that keeps them grounded so that they understand that they have not arrived, but that there is still a lot of work to be done.

"Then, believe me, these boys will be the best they can be and the sky will be their limit."

Amuneke, who coached them to the world title, has no fears about their ability

"They have the ability to do well in England or anywhere else. It's about psychology. And I know that they have the right attitude and the talent to succeed.

"What they need is proper guidance and I believe they will get it. I am very happy for them."

Colin Udoh

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Like who? He's the most talented player in the England set up and he'll be straight into the England first XI once he's fit.
Sterling.
Stones is a fantastic talent and will continue to get better.
Deli Ali looks a fantastic talent hasn't really done much and needs an extra season to show consistency but if I was English I'd be excited.
Kane has shown great consistency and progress.

The main issue with Wilshere is he is living off the hype of one exceptionally good game against Barcelona several years ago. Its been that long since he really got a chance to get into a groove it's impossible to know what level he is at now. Before getting injured against United last season he was building a bit of form and like a balloon it burst.

So for me he isn't exciting, I was expecting him to be in the world class bracket by now yet the reality is his career is slowly passing him by.

The other guys could easily go the other way and something awful happen to them but I'd have all of those on the plane ahead of Wilshere. I'd also have Ross Barkley, Carrick, Rooney, Henderson and Lallana all ahead of him for midfield roles because they've actually played this season and deserve to go.

Nemetoss

Our business is over this window.Wenger might have gone for an attacker but Welbeck making his return ruined any chance of that happening.

WhatAFC

Yep same story.

Wenger fudging things and crossing fingers.

We need 4 cbs
We need 2 rbs

Juggling players and positions is what has got us in trouble every year.
If he doesn't have a replacement lined up for debuchy, you keep him. It's that simple, no fckn sentiment involved.
What's the big deal? Debuchy out on loan with an option to recall if need be. If we have injuries he will come back. Everyone wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Arsène Wenger's idea is not only to play good football. It's to play good football to win. In my day, we knew that with our style we could hurt teams and win trophies too. But we did it our way, with the positional game, passing, movement.

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom