• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What makes an Arsenal player a club legend?

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
You do tend to look to the past with huge rose tinted goggles, as long as it happened more than 2 years ago than it was amazing to Riou. Although @Macho is the complete opposite he doesn't rate RVP or Fabregas which is nuts. I agree with macho though most of our teams since we moved to Emirates has been filled with average players but you can't deny those 2's qualities. You two are like on opposites spectrums with this.

It does get annoys when people talk about guys like Coquelin and Koscielny like they were anything special though, they were lucky to play for a club like Arsenal tbh.

It's been ages since the Highbury days, so I just enjoy what I can in the Emirates era...the players aren't as good, but that doesn't mean we haven't had some quality ones, or ones I had a soft spot for.

Riou

If you did a genuine poll (no trolling) no one would say Fabregas or Van Persie are Arsenal legends.

I don't think we have had any true legends, since Thierry left us in 2007.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

It's been ages since the Highbury days, so I just enjoy what I can in the Emirates era...the players aren't as good, but that doesn't mean we haven't had some quality ones, or ones I had a soft spot for.

Imagine having a soft spot for Coquelin :lol: never heard of that one before.

Lad got put in a spliff by Eden Hazard.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
If you did a genuine poll (no trolling) no one would say Fabregas or Van Persie are Arsenal legends.

Fabregas and RVP came along when the club were struggling to spend because of the stadium build. Fans were frustrated. It seems unfair to compare them to players during the invincibles era, when they could excel in a team full of talent with no holes.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Yeah. I don't think anyone would rate Cesc and VP as legend tbh. I think @Macho is just strawmanning :lol:

But seriously, VP was on the same level as Henry in terms of technique. But obviously Henry was by far the better player.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Lad got put in a spliff by Eden Hazard.
Don’t listen to him Coquelin got regularly slagged off at the time for being a limited player.

I remember him bouncing off Hazard clearly in past episodes of the Boys against men chronicles we’ve been subjected to at the Emirates. He’d fit in well with the current squad.

Riou

He was basically my Rob Holding, he won me over!

I hated that we brought him back in January 2015, after Arteta and Flamini couldn't walk anymore, felt it was very small time...then he randomly turned into the demo version of Kante for a bit, was amazing for about a year.

That Hazard moment kinda ended his career here...though due to needless buying of Xhaka, his position in the team had already changed for the worse at that point too.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐

maybe thats because you can remember Highbury & teams like the invincibles 🤷‍♂️

i could see them being seen as legends for those a little after... its a shame they left under a cloud like Alexis, Özil & Kos but even **** clubs have legends or heros for each generation

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Fergie was already a successful manager prior to united.

Trying to use this as a parallel with Arteta doesn't work because Arteta is a complete rookie on his first job.

Ferguson was already on the job for a while.
Can’t count the number of times that crazy ‘Fergie’ excuse has surfaced. It’s seems to be dwindling now though. Wonder why?

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Yeah. I don't think anyone would rate Cesc and VP as legend tbh. I think @Macho is just strawmanning :lol:

But seriously, VP was on the same level as Henry in terms of technique. But obviously Henry was by far the better player.
How am I strawmanning? I had a moan ages ago about being tired of all of our players being compared to the Cesc and VP yardstick that was all.

@BigPoppaPump misconstrued it and thought I didn’t rate them I just explained why I don’t revere them like you man.

You guys can check my post history, once VP was sold to Man U I was kinda done with the club.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

And Henry had better players around him.

Alexs

Fabregas and RVP came along when the club were struggling to spend because of the stadium build. Fans were frustrated. It seems unfair to compare them to players during the invincibles era, when they could excel in a team full of talent with no holes.
True, but they're both bench warmers in Wenger's best teams.

Riou

maybe thats because you can remember Highbury & teams like the invincibles 🤷‍♂️

i could see them being seen as legends for those a little after... its a shame they left under a cloud like Alexis, Özil & Kos but even **** clubs have legends or heros for each generation

I think for fans of just the Emirates years, the likes of Santi/Ramsey and co, will be more heroes for them, than Cesc and Robin...both were great players, but the cards didn't fall for them here.

Though I think if Cesc didn't go to Chelsea, he would be seen as a legend here.

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
Don't think anyone calls them a legend, there are no Emirates era Arsenal legends. I don't think we've had a striker or midfielder as good as those 2 since we've moved from Highbury though. But I also think Mertesacker was our best CB in Emirates Arsenal too so that's not saying much.
That’s a bit unfair to the Emirates era boys. It’s a lot easier to be loyal to the club when we were winning trophies and doing doubles and unbeaten seasons. I doubt Henry would have hung around longer than RVP did if he had to play alongside Diaby, Denilson, Song and Bendtner and win nothing. Vieira wouldn’t have stayed long than Cesc either. Not their fault that their teammates were sub par.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Don’t listen to him Coquelin got regularly slagged off at the time for being a limited player.

I remember him bouncing off Hazard clearly in past episodes of the Boys against men chronicles we’ve been subjected to at the Emirates. He’d fit in well with the current squad.
United, City and Barcelona poached so many of Arsène’s player, but he was still meant to compete with those clubs. Sort of weird looking back on it, now Arteta isn’t even expected to be in the top 4.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
I think for fans of just the Emirates years, the likes of Santi/Ramsey and co, will be more heroes for them, than Cesc and Robin...both were great players, but the cards didn't fall for them here.

Though I think if Cesc didn't go to Chelsea, he would be seen as a legend here.
for me have forgiven them all now :lol:

Santi, Ramsey, Rosisky & Jack probably are the only ones that had a great connection with fans + also a clean break not falling out with the club or joining a traditional rival

Riou

@Macho

Fab and Robin are probably the yardstick for just the Emirates era, as they are the 2 best players we have had since the stadium move.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

@Macho

Fab and Robin are probably the yardstick for just the Emirates era, as they are the 2 best players we have had since the stadium move.
Why not Paddy and others if we are really going to compare every midfielder to a 16 year old prodigy? That’s all I asked.

I wasn’t sh*tting on anybody apart from you Emirates babies if you actually read what I was saying.

• Funny
Reactions: A_G

Arsenal Quotes

There's a minute on the clock left for Arenal. Brady for Arsenal.... right across, Sunderland... IT'S THERE! I do not believe it, I SWEAR I do not believe it!

Peter Jones on the goal against United in the 79 cup final
Top Bottom