• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What makes an Arsenal player a club legend?

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Ngl RVP leaving hurt so much more than the Cesc. I felt a bit more of an attachment to him than Cesc who was literally twerking for Barcelona whilst he was at the club, him moving there was inevitable.

When both players left I was fuming but they were both slightly different. With Cesc it was mainly the way he was conducting himself which was snakey whilst with RVP my anger was more directed at the club for the whole situation we got ourselves into.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
That’s a bit unfair to the Emirates era boys. It’s a lot easier to be loyal to the club when we were winning trophies and doing doubles and unbeaten seasons. I doubt Henry would have hung around longer than RVP did if he had to play alongside Diaby, Denilson, Song and Bendtner and win nothing. Vieira wouldn’t have stayed long than Cesc either. Not their fault that their teammates were sub par.
It's not about wanting to leave, Vieira wanted to leave every season and he's a legend. It's about what they achieved, RVP was always injured when we needed him.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Why not Paddy and others if we are really going to compare every midfielder to a 16 year old prodigy? That’s all I asked.

Guess maybe we are just comparing players to the next level up, maybe?

We want to be a Champions League level club again, so they are being compared to our best players when we achieved that...as apposed to Paddy's time here, when we were a Title challenging club.

Maybe when we get back in the Champions League again, players will be compared to the old Arsenal teams that used to win leagues...which is why I think the initial Emirates era (2006-2015) is viewed as a "failure", when it was actually pretty decent, but it just couldn't hold up to the 1997-2005 period that just preceded it.

I wasn’t sh*tting on anybody apart from you Emirates babies if you actually read what I was saying.

No need for the name calling :(

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

If there are Emirates era legends of the club for me they'd have to be Rosicky, Cazorla & possibly Mertesacker. Bacary Sagna was another player who I've always liked during this generation. Fabregas was close but I was just disappointed he left to join one of our rivals in Chelsea.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
😂 Campbell and Toure had one of the best defensive partnerships the league has ever seen.

Think the best ever defensive record in our club's history, happened under Wenger too in 98/99...don't think we have ever conceded less than 17 league goals in a season before.

Alexs

True, but then they were either very young or injured.
True, but I meant at their best they'd still be rotation players or subs. Still both great players of course and would be our best two right now by miles.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

No need for the name calling :(
Guys are accusing me of straw man arguments and not rating WC players so you man are getting the raw uncut until further notice I’m afraid.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

I feel like if it was up to him he'd play 11 diminutive number 10s who can also play on the wing.
90s Wenger signed athletic imposing players and was a big admirer of Julio Baptista until he saw him upclose. Which he had to loan initially btw.

I genuinely think he just couldn’t afford his ideal players until Alexis times, they’ve always been a premium.

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
It's not about wanting to leave, Vieira wanted to leave every season and he's a legend. It's about what they achieved, RVP was always injured when we needed him.
That’s what I’m saying. Cesc and RVP would have been legends if they had been playing for the club in the late 90s while Vieira and Henry wouldn’t if they had been playing in the late 00s. Trophies aren’t just what 1-2 players do but the collective actions of 17-18 players. The Emirates boys are at a distinct disadvantage in terms of the latter.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
Last post on this subject...

...streets won't forget how he helped turn 2014-2015, into our best ever Emirates season!
We were so soft at the time that the fans loved any player who had a warrior spirit. Coquelin was the same sort of level as Flamini in my mind - ultimately not quite good enough, but great at getting stuck in and winning the ball.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
There’s two main reasons why multiple top managers try to play their ball winners further up top. If you win the ball further up the pitch then you’re more likely to score a goal, secondly if a ball winner with poor passing ability wins the ball just in front of your defence there’s no guarantee he can actually turn it into possession.
Correct, but the problem is both Wenger (Coq) and Emery (Torreira) didn't bother to tweak the rest of the players/system.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
There’s two main reasons why multiple top managers try to play their ball winners further up top. If you win the ball further up the pitch then you’re more likely to score a goal, secondly if a ball winner with poor passing ability wins the ball just in front of your defence there’s no guarantee he can actually turn it into possession.
That’s what makes Kante so special, he can win the ball but also start plays from deep because he’s a great dribbler and has pace, stamina and a good passer.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

The strange thing is the "timeline" of "legends". At some point they fade away because there are not many left who have seen them play.

Ted Drake played 167 games for Arsenal, scoring 124 goals, making him the 5th highest goalscorer at the club through all times. When you factor in that the war stopped him from playing a lot more games, that achievement is remarkable. He later went on to manage Chelsea for 9 years, and strangely enough, working as an assistant manager at Barcelona.

Yet, due to it being such a long time ago since he played, few would mention him as a 'legend' perhaps? That we have very little footage from these games certainly doesn't help either.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Ted Drake played 167 games for Arsenal, scoring 124 goals, making him the 5th highest goalscorer at the club through all times. When you factor in that the war stopped him from playing a lot more games, that achievement is remarkable. He later went on to manage Chelsea for 9 years, and strangely enough, working as an assistant manager at Barcelona.
@Riou defo thinking '**** him' :lol:

Arsenal Quotes

In June 1996, David Dein, Peter Hill-Wood and Danny Fiszman came out to Nagoya to meet me on behalf of Arsenal. Within an hour we came to an agreement. The Japanese directors didn't try to keep hold of me in the usual way but talked with persuasive arguments... But as far as I was concerned, the decision was taken. Arsenal. A decision that would change my life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom