• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What makes an Arsenal player a club legend?

GDeep™

League is very weak
If guys like Santi are legends then why isn’t Auba?
Critical in winning a double? Nah he was decent but never a key member of that squad, as you could see when he flopped at Real Madrid.

Some of you just want to put all the players that won titles and scored in FA Cup finals in your legends list. It's about your fave team rather than what an individual brought to the table

As for Ramsey and Santi, did you not watch Arsenal when he was here? Because I don't think anyone watching the frustration of a player like Ramsey as he tries his annoying flicks and the technical excellence of Santi is going to prefer the former to the latter in terms of standing at the club.

Also Özil a creative great but such a girl he was. Not a legend for me.
I don’t think any are legends. If you start saying any of these Emirates guys are legends then it opens a big door that many could walk through, look at Auba, something like 60 goals in 120 games, critical in the cup win etc. Look at Sagna, think you can count on one hand how many bad games he had.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Henry missed a couple of sitters that would have won us the CL. Not my legend.

Using one specific game to discredit a player is not fair. Barca got outplayed and lost 1-0 to Granada a few years ago, Messi had to be taken ofd because he was vomiting all over the pitch :lol:

I agree that Cazorla is not an Arsenal legend. But but your argument was fallacious.
It’s not that one game though, that’s just me taking the piss. Santi in general, didn’t make the impact you need to be a legend. Auba has made a bigger impact.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Vieira and Fabregas played some of the best football I have ever seen from any Arsenal team, when they were our midfield pair in 2004/2005...but defensively it didn't quite work, especially away from home.

Cesc wouldn't have been a starter in 2003/2004...peak Fab would have benched Bergkamp in that season, but peak Dennis would have benched peak Cesc though.

Riou

I would respectfully disagree.

A big part of the invincibles was the imposing and physical nature of some of the guys you’re trying to replace.

How much the team struggled after we sold Vieira, then lost Sol to injury/decline, in 2005/2006 and beyond...shows how much we really lacked the physical side of the game, despite still being pretty great on the technical side at that point.

You need a mix of both traits, to be an elite team.

Riou

I respect you were defending Cazorla...

...but never say this on an Arsenal forum, even in jest!

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
It’s not that one game though, that’s just me taking the piss. Santi in general, didn’t make the impact you need to be a legend. Auba has made a bigger impact.
Agreed, love Santi, very good player but did not have that little bit that makes a legend.

All legends have huge moments other than their general contributions anyway.

Henry- That goal against the Spuds

Bergkamp- Magical goals at St James, and also that magical one at Roker Park away

Parlour- It's only Ray Parlour

Hell even Adams has his big moment when he wrapped up the title with that goal against Everton irrc. And he's a defender. Didn't Bouldie assist that too?

Same for Sol who cemented his legendary status with the performances he gave us after joining from Spuds.

What does Santi have? Many very good games and one great one against City where he didn't score the winner or assist the winner?

Sapient Hawk

Destiny's Hand 🖐🏿
Trusted ⭐

Using one specific game to discredit a player is not fair. Barca got outplayed and lost 1-0 to Granada a few years ago, Messi had to be taken ofd because he was vomiting all over the pitch :lol:

I agree that Cazorla is not an Arsenal legend. But but your argument was fallacious.

I used to think some were being a tad harsh on you for asking that you never again attempt to create matchday threads.

Now, I'm finding myself believing they were actually too lenient with you :lol:

Sapient Hawk

Destiny's Hand 🖐🏿
Trusted ⭐

Any player that played a part in the 89,91,93,98,2002 & 2004 seasons are legends.

All other considerations are trivial.

Legends enter a club's folklore for contributing to its lasting success.

Also-rans that were appreciated for their silky skills & good-natured banter might be well-loved, even cult-figure players. But club legends they are not. Not in this life or any other.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Any player that played a part in the 89,91,93,98,2002 & 2004 seasons are legends.

All other considerations are trivial.

Legends enter a club's folklore for contributing to its lasting success.

Also-rans that were appreciated for their silky skills & good-natured banter might be well-loved, even cult-figure players. But club legends they are not. Not in this life or any other.
72? 👀, im not thay old by the way 🤣

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Our present is so dismal that all we have to discuss is the past.

Gooners are officially over the hill.
It's a bit like the Roman Empire, British Empire or the Abbasid Caliphate, only that we'll rise again.....sort of.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

All three of those Empires will rise again before Stan shuffles off this mortal coil I'm afraid. The date to determine our resurrection is going to require a lot of tree rings :lol:
I guess Boris Johnson is aiming high here, Berlusconi has probably blown his load, as for the Abbasids... it is probably a long shot, though I am sure knowledgeable AM'ers can advice on the matter.

Yeosol

This is the most moronic stuff I've ever read on here or you're probably trolling. If it is the latter, I apologise.
I am not trolling and you don't have to apologize - I can handle people disagreeing with me on an internet forum.

The first part of that post explains my reasons, but just in case you missed it; the word legend isn't necessarily a good thing. I know it's mostly used in a colloquial sense when talking about football players, but the actual definition - again - has to do with fame or notoriety.

Xhaka is probably the most talked about Arsenal player of the last 5 years, and certainly the most controversial. For better or worse, he has come to sort of define an era for Arsenal, and that means he has a good claim at legendary status. In my view certainly a better claim than someone like Sagna, who was a very good and remarkably consistent player, but also (apart from his hair) pretty anonymous.

Arsenal Quotes

You weren’t world-class when Arsenal signed you

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom