• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What makes an Arsenal player a club legend?

Alexs

What a post!

Question, since I was born way too late to know anything but the Wenger era, but the question is only based on THAT goal against Liverpool, does Thomas not qualify as a legend?
Yes! Too late to edit my post but the fever pitch moment is the best of the pre Wenger era. If anyone can be a legend for one goal, one surreal moment in time, it’s Michael Thomas.

Yeosol

Mustafi would claim that easily even if he's gone. Xhaka needs a good 2-3 years more to get to Mustafi levels of controversial
Have to disagree here. Was Mustafi even that controversial? He didn't seem to have many defenders, largely Arsenal fans just agreed that he wasn't quite up to it.

Xhaka has always sparked intense debate among fans (just on here, his thread from last season ended up at nearly 350 pages). It seemed like his detractors only hated him more the more people defended him.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Xhaka has always sparked intense debate among fans (just on here, his thread from last season ended up at nearly 350 pages). It seemed like his detractors only hated him more the more people defended him.
Xhaka's only defender was Manberg, Manberg1, Manberg2...... Manberg400

Yeosol

That Michael Thomas goal is funny in that I really think the goal in itself is enough for him to achieve legendary status. Even IF that had been his only season at the club, and he had been a mostly anonymous player up until then.

Any Arsenal fan with even a mild interest in the clubs history knows about the goal, has seen videos of it, knows exactly what you're referencing if you say "it's up for grabs now", and remembers that weird spastic celebration.

Yeosol

Xhaka's only defender was Manberg, Manberg1, Manberg2...... Manberg400
Looking at the thread this is clearly not true though. Sure, nobody defended him as strongly as some of those trollish posters, but there was everything from indifference to acceptance of his qualities to actually defending him from several regular posters.

Alexs

Revisiting the first post, if notoriety counts, then Arteta’s fast becoming the greatest legend of them all. Xhaka’s an also ran.

Alexs

Stumbled on this: Gunners Greatest 50 Players

No argument with 1-10. Brady is 8, Charlie George 9, Pat Jennings 10. Of my others McLintock is 30, O'Leary 14, Woodcock 48, Smith 27 and Rocastle 16. (Talbot is 23 and Williams 38).

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
My legend !

vito-mannone-arsenal-arsenal-photocall-5385670.jpg

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
Santi only played 20 league games in his last 3 seasons, so he doesn’t even meet your own criteria you posted yesterday.

Auba has played as many games in 3.5 seasons that Santi did in 6 seasons.

Charismatic and durable.

Santi 6 seasons. Auba 3.5.

Santi didn’t have a single bad season here. Auba stunk the place out last year whilst earning 5 times more money.

Auba will have to play out of his skin for the next two seasons to make up for the abomination he served up last time.

He’s got a bit of charisma though I’ll give him that.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Santi 6 seasons. Auba 3.5.

Santi didn’t have a single bad season here. Auba stunk the place out last year whilst earning 5 times more money.

Auba will have to play out of his skin for the next two seasons to make up for the abomination he served up last time.

He’s got a bit of charisma though I’ll give him that.
Santi didn’t meet your own criteria, Sergio. He didn’t have durability or longevity.

Auba was poor last season because he’s playing for Arteta, guy started the season at LB ffs, and didn’t even complain, just kept running for the team, not everybody has the luxury of playing for Wenger.

Santi was a baller, but you can’t call one guy a legend and rubbish another who has done more. When Auba leaves and we sign a donkey to replace him, which we will, Arsenal fans will be crying, we’ve been so spoilt at CF.

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
Santi didn’t meet your own criteria, Sergio. He didn’t have durability or longevity.

Auba was poor last season because he’s playing for Arteta, guy started the season at LB ffs, and didn’t even complain, just kept running for the team, not everybody has the luxury of playing for Wenger.

Santi was a baller, but you can’t call one guy a legend and rubbish another who has done more. When Auba leaves and we sign a donkey to replace him, which we will, Arsenal fans will be crying, we’ve been so spoilt at CF.

Durability wasn’t one of my criteria. Longevity was. Being here 6 seasons Santi ticks that box.

Who’s rubbished Auba? I’m one of his biggest fans, when he’s on song, but he hasn’t really looked interested since the new contract. It shows money is a major part of his motivation. Unlike Santi, who you feel would have played for this club for free, Auba fails the loyalty and love for the club criteria.

Santi still goes on about his regrets at the way his Arsenal career ended, how he still loves the club and would love to work here again at some point.

I think you’re trolling here my brother.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Durability wasn’t one of my criteria. Longevity was. Being here 6 seasons Santi ticks that box.

Who’s rubbished Auba? I’m one of his biggest fans, when he’s on song, but he hasn’t really looked interested since the new contract. It shows money is a major part of his motivation. Unlike Santi, who you feel would have played for this club for free, Auba fails the loyalty and love for the club criteria.

Santi still goes on about his regrets at the way his Arsenal career ended, how he still loves the club and would love to work here again at some point.

Lots of players would’ve played here for free, you’re just waffling. Only you considers Santi a legend, nobody else.

If Santi is a legend, EVERYBODY is a legend.

I’m done here anyway and won’t be replying to any of your posts, you’re a massive troll.

Pyres7

:lol:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Both have been great players for the club, but Caz did more for us then Auba...won twice as many trophies, and we never slipped out of the Top Four places during Santi's time as a starter at the club.

Niether are legends, but both will be looked back on very fondly.

musoke

Whether he's the best player since the new stadium or even in the conversation is irrelevant. In 50 years time everyone will read that Aaron Ramsey got two FA Cup final winners, a lot more than you can say for either Fabregas or Van Persie.
Whether you where alive or not every Arsenal fan has heard of Charlie George, Alan Sunderland and Ray Parlour because they've got the medals. That's what it's all about at the end of the day.
FA cups are a good day out for the kids.
To me what matters is how a player held it down in the EPL. Having a good FA cup game is not going to sway me on club legendary status.

Cesc held our team and club together immediately after tge invincibles. The kod came in at 17 years old and became a man. I remember that Juventus game where he went up against our legend (Vieira). I remember we were losing against Bolton or some team, cesc was not fully fit, he was brought in for the last 15 minutes and he absolutely changed the game. Came on injured against Barcelona and took that penalty. There are so many games that Cesc just led his teammatesz
He was so influential and our talisman from the age of 17 to when he left at 23 years old.
We have not had a more dominant CM ever since.

I have never seen Ramsey be our talisman when he became our main CM.

May be I am being biased, but I have never rated Ramsey like a lot seem to. I grew up on the likes of Roman Riquelme, Nedved, Pirlo, Scholes, Bergkamp, Xavi, Fabregas, Deco etc..

And Ramsey is in the Lampard, Gerrard mould, but he is a level below them in ability.

musoke

Didn't win enough. Not a legend.

Although to be fair Liam Brady is universally accepted as a legend and won the FA Cup and no league titles.... But levels were raised since.

Cesc played with Henry, Vieira and Bergkamp. That's who he's measured against.
To me Legendary status means endearment, longevity, quality, cult hero, passion, love and a connection with the fanbase etc..
If that player can win trophies on top of that then even better.

Having that passionate connection, endearment, affection with the fans is what makes a legend.

That’s why small clubs that have never or will never win any trophies also have their own legends.

Arsenal Quotes

As far as i'm concerned, Tony Adams is the effing Empire State Building

Ian Wright
Top Bottom