• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What makes an Arsenal player a club legend?

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

I guess Boris Johnson is aiming high here, Berlusconi has probably blown his load, as for the Abbasids... it is probably a long shot, though I am sure knowledgeable AM'ers can advice on the matter.

Hulagu put them permanently on ice. The only way they're coming back is if they escaped the Mongol's predations in an alternate universe.

The knock-on effect is that this with a Baghdad that wasn't ravaged most likely doesn't have an Arteta led Arsenal :lol:

Sapient Hawk

Trusted ⭐

:lol: We had some legends from that era too though. I have a bible of Arsenal @Riou would love it. Yeah im not as old some on here 😂

Knowing @Riou he'd count Clive Allen as an Arsenal legend.

That's when our cordial relationship would disintegrate & I'd send in a hitman to show him the error of his ways

Alexs

For younger viewers here are my legends from before the Wenger era but after I was born:

Charlie George - Frank Mclintock - Liam Brady - David O'Leary - Pat Jennings - Tony Woodcock - Alan Smith - David Rocastle

Honourable mentions from the 71 double winners to Wilson, Rice, Kennedy, Graham and Radford.

I give a few reasons for a couple of odd picks and omissions below:

Stapleton and Anderson miss out for the RVP reason - no Arsenal legend leaves for United. Tony Woodcock gets in my list since I watched him score all 5 against Villa away and he worked tirelessly as our top scorer for 4 years as all around him stood still. Jennings gets in for his legendarily large hands and for leaving Tottenham.

Brian Talbot dug us out of many holes. He played like Xhaka should, so being mentioned in the same paragraph as Xhaka, cannot be a legend. Nonetheless, his winner in the 3rd FA Cup replay against Liverpool is a joyous moment from my youth. As was his home goal against Juventus when Paul Vaessen went on to score the away goal to get us to the final.

George Graham legends are difficult to pick since it was such a solid team although not as dour as portrayed. Adams and Wright obviously but they qualify as Wenger legends. Alan Smith is one pick - He scored and assisted at Anfield and scored the only goal against Parma, also a Golden Boot winner.

David Rocastle I watched on debut and thereafter - anyone my age has a soft spot for him regardless of his tragically young death. Also, he's from South East London as am I. So he's my other pick.

Steve Williams gets an honourable mention for kicking United players and just about anyone else. Paul Davis nearly gets in for solid performances and a devastating left hook. Brian Marwood gets an honourable mention for being a delight to watch and winning many important Graham era games.

I'll just end by saying anyone who thinks Xhaka is anything other than useless should watch archive games of Brian Talbot and Steve Williams. Similar but far better players, although Williams would be sent off in every modern game.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

For younger viewers here are my legends from before the Wenger era but after I was born:

Charlie George - Frank Mclintock - Liam Brady - David O'Leary - Pat Jennings - Tony Woodcock - Alan Smith - David Rocastle

Honourable mentions from the 71 double winners to Wilson, Rice, Kennedy, Graham and Radford.

Stapleton and Anderson miss out for the RVP reason - no Arsenal legend leaves for United. Tony Woodcock gets in my list since I watched him score all 5 against Villa away and he worked tirelessly as our top scorer for 4 years as all around him stood still. Jennings gets in for his legendarily large hands and for leaving Tottenham.

Brian Talbot dug us out of many holes. He played like Xhaka should, so being mentioned in the same paragraph as Xhaka, cannot be a legend. Nonetheless, his winner in the 3rd FA Cup replay against Liverpool is a joyous moment from my youth. As was his home goal against Juventus when Paul Vaessen went on to score the away goal to get us to the final.

George Graham legends are difficult to pick since it was such a solid team although not as dour as portrayed. Adams and Wright obviously but they qualify as Wenger legends. Alan Smith is one pick - He scored and assisted at Anfield and scored the only goal against Parma, also a Golden Boot winner.

David Rocastle I watched on debut and thereafter - anyone my age has a soft spot for him regardless of his tragically young death. Also, he's from South East London as am I. So he's my other pick.

Steve Williams gets an honourable mention for kicking United players and just about anyone else. Paul Davis nearly gets in for solid performances and a devastating left hook. Brian Marwood gets an honourable mention for being a delight to watch and winning many important Graham era games.

I'll just end by saying anyone who thinks Xhaka is anything other than useless should watch archive games of Brian Talbot and Steve Williams. Similar but far better players, although Williams would be sent off in every modern game.
Perfect!

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Alan Smith's commentary work since retiring, has taken away his Arsenal legendary status, imo.

Riou

Agreed, his heart aint in it with us.

The day he went in on the club after the fight at Old Trafford in 2003 (considering he was also in a fight there once, ffs) shows the gimp he is.

Definitely not my legend!

Riou

Stewart Robson was a good young player but I didn’t dare mention him.

That **** used to tear down the club, on Arsenal's official website.

Admire his bravery, in a way :lol:

Sapient Hawk

Trusted ⭐

Thank you.

If you’ve only heard Alan Smith speak and didn’t see him play for us I agree it seems very odd to pick him but he really did provide two defining Arsenal moments and was consistently good.

Luckily I watched him play far more than I’ve heard him speak.

In that regard my feelings towards him are not dissimilar to how most of United's fandom feel about Giggs. Love the player, hate the man :lol:

Riou

It shouldn't be in the "best ever posts" thread...but if you included context, it might make it in.

As the randomness/humour of the first post in this thread, versus what you would be expecting to see as the OP given the title...it's really funny :lol:

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name

What a post!

Question, since I was born way too late to know anything but the Wenger era, but the question is only based on THAT goal against Liverpool, does Thomas not qualify as a legend?

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

It shouldn't be in the "best ever posts" thread...but if you included context, it might make it in.

As the randomness/humour of the first post in this thread, versus what you would be expecting to see as the OP given the title...it's really funny :lol:

:lol::lol:

Collect 80K a week for screaming 'Come on!'. He should have added Flamini too.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Xhaka is probably the most talked about Arsenal player of the last 5 years, and certainly the most controversial. For better or worse, he has come to sort of define an era for Arsenal, and that means he has a good claim at legendary status.
Disagree, he's not even good enough to be the worst most hated person. Mustafi would claim that easily even if he's gone. Xhaka needs a good 2-3 years more to get to Mustafi levels of controversial

Arsenal Quotes

The coach's role is to make the player understand everything that serves the interest of the game. To do this he must speak to the child within each player, to the adolescent he was and the adult he is now. Too often a coach tends only to speak to the adult, issuing commands for performance, for victory, for reflection, to the detriment of the child who is playing for pleasure, living in the present.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom