• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

When Did You Fall In Love With Arsenal?

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
That is one of the best videos made. I often rewatch this one. The pure artistry, the flair and those excellent passes to a goal are what made our football an art as Arsène used to describe it.

Fellow Wengerites in @Makingtrax @Heskey and more, probably have this video saved too :)
That video is a thing of beauty. Wenger was a genius. There was nothing like that before and probably won’t be anything like it again. 😍

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Started in 89. It was anyone but Liverpool and it was always going to be an London team. Tony Adams had some weird appeal as did Arsenal so that was my choice. Nothing emotional or scientific. That night at Anfield, I just sat there in grinning shock-and then went to bed! I didn't even know the ball was in the net until the celebrations. I like to think that my support kick started a new era of success because we'd not won a title since before I was born. I guess in reality Arsenal kind of chose me. No other club has ever had a place on my heart.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
5782-ADD3-4530-4-BE9-A280-B438-EBC8-ECBA.png

Badger_Revenge

It was a long slow process in many tiny steps. So this is going to take a while.

I'm in the US. I played a lot of "soccer" because I grew up in a city with a lot of immigrants. We went to Cosmos matches in the 70s and saw Pele play, and Neeskens and Beckenbauer and Alberto. I only played recreationally, but my HS were perennial runner-ups in NJ state championships. A lot of South American and Middle Eastern players.

We didn't get English football on TV much. When it did show up, I would wonder at the energy in the crowds -- all the singing -- and the mud! I would sometimes look at the tables in the back of the sports pages and wonder at the names. In the US, the sports teams have city names, sometimes states (Carolina or Minnesota) or regions (New England), and invariably the team nicknames. We almost always use the nicknames primarily.

But in England it was just place names, many of which I didn't recognize. Some seemed like they fell out of the pages of Shakespeare or Dickens. Nicknames were often an afterthought. Then they would add funny things, like United, to the end. I had no idea what that meant, but my friend who had spent time in England hated Manchester United and preferred Man City because it was more "a working mans team" (how times have changed!). My favorite name was Sheffield Wednesday which always sounded like a character from a 60s swinger movie (I know, Sheffield).

Arsenal was the other name that stood out, because it wasn't even a city or borough. I always wondered about the history. It would get mentioned offhand in British TV series and books now and then. So I would always look for how they were doing in the tables. I remember in 1998 I looked once and they were 10 points behind first, and then at then end they were first. The NY Times had a little story about the transformation of the team. That intrigued me.

Then I saw Bergkamp at the world cup (I think it was that summer). I always had a weak spot for the dutch in their crazy orange outfits, and he was my favorite player to watch that tournament. I remember seeing that ball come in over his shoulder against Argentina, and I somehow knew he would take it down, cut inside and score. It was like both magic and perfect common sense that he actually did it. I had never felt that watching any other player. Then they said he played for Arsenal. A bell rung.

I remember this Swedish guy getting some coverage around 2000 because of his punk haircut. Since I lived in Sweden for a few months and new many swedes in the US, I had a soft spot for the Swedish national team. I used to play in punk rock bands, so I appreciated someone doing that in an arena as stodgy as sometimes sports could be at the time. He played for Arsenal.

Then in 2004 I was able to afford cable, and one channel started covering soccer generally and the Premier League specifically. Only a couple PL matches a weekend, and then a highlight real of all the matches. There was this one black french-ish guy who would do just outrageous things, like score with his back to goal between the defender's legs, or he would shimmy in a way that would cause the defense to just disappear. And what do you know, he played with Bergkamp, for Arsenal.

And he had the oddest, most humane, erudite and loyal person as a manager I had ever seen in sports. And the club cared about non-english players, and was devoted to the women's team. They were pushing limits. I had a student who thought Islington was the most interesting part of London. I visited and loved it. Then I learned of the history of the club, and its' values.

I've been following ever since not because of one moment or one thing, but because of all of it.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
2003, had a break between 2010-2013

Never really bothered to look up what happened those years lol
I know the jist of it but never bothered to look up properly

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
2003, had a break between 2010-2013

Never really bothered to look up what happened those years lol
I know the jist of it but never bothered to look up properly
Not being funny it would be interesting to know.

How can you love a club and have a serious passion for it and not be bothered about it for 3 years?

Do you follow other sports more or have other teams that you switched your attention to?

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

I was born early 90's, It probably would have been in the late 90's, 98/99 season seeing guys I liked, Ljungberg, Petit, Keown, Bergkamp, Overmars, Adams & Viera that season. Probably the name too haha. Over the years I've had lots of different favourite players even if they weren't generally the most popular players with us in no particular order haha. Sagna, Seaman, Ljungberg, Fabregas, Rosicky, BFG (Mertesacker), Özil, Overmars, Petit, Keown, Bellerin. This season I like El Neny, Tomiyasu, Partey & martinelli. The name of our team got to me aswell.

The PL wasn't shown in Australia overly well for a number of years, however, when it finally got contracted here with Optus Sports where it's shown now has helped me so much over the seasons.

UpTheGunnerz

Not being funny it would be interesting to know.

How can you love a club and have a serious passion for it and not be bothered about it for 3 years?

Do you follow other sports more or have other teams that you switched your attention to?

Depression one year, head over heels in love in Australia/ big into spirituality and no screens the other year and the third year I just couldn’t stop tugging

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Depression one year, head over heels in love in Australia/ big into spirituality and no screens the other year and the third year I just couldn’t stop tugging
Haha a decent set of distractions. Well apart from the first one.

Fingers crossed you have a last minute winner tonight to tug over lol.

UpTheGunnerz

Haha a decent set of distractions. Well apart from the first one.

Fingers crossed you have a last minute winner tonight to tug over lol.

‘‘Twas a fun year to return tho. Özil signing and Ramsey being on fire, very nostalgic about the 13/14 season

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What Hawk Is Cooking? Destiny's Hand
Trusted ⭐

93 for me.

Part of the reason I really want Arsenal to win the PL is so younger / more recent Arsenal fans get to experience what it's like to see Arsenal win the title. It's awesome. FA Cup is great and all but it's really not comparable.

Feels weird to me that some Arsenal fans never saw the real glory days of Wenger's reign but I guess it was quite a long time ago now. So much more fun as a fan than what we've had to endure the past decade or so.

Same. Started watching the sporadic matches we got here in Saudi Arabia via the Qatar sports channel back in 1993. I instantly fell in love with this team full of tough-tackling no-nonsense madmen & have been ever since!!

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What Hawk Is Cooking? Destiny's Hand
Trusted ⭐

We should have done our own "Three-peat" of league titles from 2002-2004, don't know how we didn't win the league in 2003.

My second regret, after not being able to win a CL in-between 2000-2004, was our inability to retain the title, which Chelsea & City have gone on to emulate United in doing.

It irks me greatly!!

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
That is one of the best videos made. I often rewatch this one. The pure artistry, the flair and those excellent passes to a goal are what made our football an art as Arsène used to describe it.

Fellow Wengerites in @Makingtrax @Heskey and more, probably have this video saved too :)
Watching the artistry and flair in that video of teams under Wenger, it struck me of the similarity between that and improvisation in music for top jazz and blues players. Improvisation isn’t random, there’s a set of rules for success within which improvisation can take place. Which scales you’re allowed to use over certain chords, which chord tones you’re supposed to land on, how to correctly employ voice leading in a line, what notes to avoid in a chord progression, and so on and so forth. That’s what Wenger was doing, allowing freedom within a set of defined rules. It’s why he was so innovative and successful.

It’s also the reason our football was so fantastic to watch, so effective, and different to other styles and teams. It’s much more complex to improvise within a set of structured rules than the one dimensional micromanagement, over directed stuff, of today and also the reason it was so beautiful.

Arsenal Quotes

Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom