• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

When Did You Fall In Love With Arsenal?

Chris Red

Player:Ødegaard
I'm French so Arsenal was not my first choice, actually, there are a few foreign teams that I'd like but no I could follow and watch every game. The only other foreign team I followed bit was the Real Madrid when Zidane played there, but I watched their games to see Zidane, not really for that big club.

In France, I was fan of Marseille. It is a bit of a paradox because Wenger is not appreciated by OM fans, though I was very young when Wenger coached Monaco, so I don't remember what happened between Wenger and Marseille, it was a different time, different owners, different players, different in everything...

Actually, I remember having seen Arsenal before Wenger's arrival, at the time, on French TV there were more European games which were broadcasted freely than today. So, in 1994 I think (maybe 1993) Arsenal went in final against Saragosse. The times of Ian Wright, Tony Adams, David Seaman if my memory is good. First memories, I liked the team, the name, it's a bit the same of what I felt for Marseille, there is an atmosphere around each club. Marseille and Arsenal are quite different but I liked both. I started to see more games of Arsenal when Wenger signed, as he recruited a lot of French players (Petit, Vieira, Anelka, etc), Arsenal was quite famous in France, and as I could watch Premier League games on TV, I quickly took the habit to follow Arsenal, not because there were French players, even if I particularly liked the players Wenger recruited (Wiltord, Pirès, Vieira, Henry, then Nasri, Sagna, etc), but I just liked the style. Ljungberg, Hleb and most of all Bergkamp, Kanu too.

I really like english football, the way English people live football, I'm not so interested by spanish or italian leagues for example. I have been impressed by Man United when I was very young, because they were trully amazing in European games. And when watching Premier League, Arsenal was just the team that fitted me well. I respect Man United or Liverpool, but it's not the same. I had the chance to see Arsenal once in real, it was in Newcastle, in Saint James Park in 2010, victory 4-0, I was with Arsenal fans that day, I could see Arshavin (one of my favourite players, Rosicky too, Walcott), it is a very good memory.

But yeah, let's be honest, it's a lot because I see the football like Wenger, he always recruited football players I liked the most (Pirès, Nasri, Rosicky, Arshavin...), to me, when Emery was appointed coach, it was a very sad day. I saw him in France with Paris, I was not understanding that choice because they are so different. Though, I like what Arteta is doing, he's not like Wenger, a bit more shy, but he has the spirit of Arsenal.

And as I'm writing, I'm missing the game xD

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Not being funny it would be interesting to know.

How can you love a club and have a serious passion for it and not be bothered about it for 3 years?

Do you follow other sports more or have other teams that you switched your attention to?

I did this too, wasn't around for a long while because I felt like the club didn't give a **** so why should I? When I saw us going in the right direction again I started to give a **** again.

I don't necessarily care about winning trophies every year but I think the club should be doing its best to compete, whatever that looks like in that club's context.

Tnegs

Started noticing Arsenal when Bergkamp came in and became a full time fan in 97/98. We just played the best football like no other PL club had ever done before and we kept doing it. Wenger is objectively the best thing that happened to this club in the modern era and David Dein was an absolute genius for recognizing his abilities. What a combo that was.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
After this day...

f4f3c266cbdc0d28891d10e77481d17d_crop_exact.jpg

...I was hooked on both the team and dat trophy 😍

Andrew Cole Linighan

Player:Saka
Sunday 3rd March 1991.
Liverpool v Arsenal. (First Division).

This was the date that I fell in love / supported Arsenal. 🟥⬜ I was watching this.Match on television, on ITV. I was 16 at the time, most of the kids at School supported Liverpool. There was one Manchester United fan, and a Crystal Palace fan, (don't know how he came to support them).
Before I watched this Match, I wasn't a supporter of any Club. I got into watching football the previous year, (England at the World Cup, Italy 1990). 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
I was watching the Liverpool, Arsenal Match in my parents living room. I was liking how Arsenal were quietening the Anfield crowd. Paul Merson was catching my attention. I liked how Arsenal were the sort of Party Poopers, trying to halt Liverpools dominance.

Screenshot_20230918-220507.png
Official Liverpool Matchday Programme. 🟥🟥

It was 0 - 0 at half time. I was liking how Arsenal were away to Liverpool, and frustrating them. I liked the defence, Dixon, Winterburn, Adams, etc. Then in the 66th minute, Paul Merson scored. At that moment, I cheered, Arsenal held on to Win 1 - 0. I fell in love with Arsenal, I liked how they went to Anfield, frustrate Liverpool, and win 1 - 0.
Liverpool were the Big Club dominating the First Division. With Scottish manager Kenny Dalgliesh, they were the team to beat. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
I had found a team to support, with there own Scottish manager, George Graham. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Up the Arsenal!!! 🟥⬜

Screenshot_20230918-220654.png
Paul Merson scores the goal, that starts my Arsenal supporting.

Topside

Well as a very young kid watching the 1979 FA Cup final we were 2-0 up last few mins ,my old man was getting ready to go out Arsenal fan, United scored twice 86th, 88th min.

Have an older brother 'you better tell Dad' :rolleyes:, he was fuming, swearing came in the front room just as Alan Sunderland netted the winner :footie:. Everyone going mad.

Didn't go to a game until November 1983 we had done well in cups but were a bang average team, first game 2-1 home defeat to Sunderland Tony Adams debut.

Highbury for the first time I really felt at home.

Been lucky enough to see us win cups like 1987 2-1 league cup final Liverpool, title winning sides and being at games to see us lift titles also lows like losing to Real Zaragoza in Paris and Luton in the littlewoods cup final.

Wouldn't swap supporting this club for anything high's and low's and feel like we have a real group of players currently wanting what we do.

Wasn't at the game but a young Topside out with mates that May night 1989, walking on air for days and hungover I just hope some of you younger fans get an occasion like that. Indescribable.:cannon:

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

August 1995, 10 years old. Arsenal spent part of the pre season in Sweden, a trip organised by a childhood friend of my mum and his company. He got me a team photo with the signatures of the players, including Wrighty, Bergkamp et al. Photo was from the previous season though as they hadn’t taken an updated one with new players.

Opportunities to watch Arsenal were few and far between though but I very fondly remember watching Swedish “Tipslördag” together with my dad. Him with A beer and myself with a snickers. Evert single Saturday. Was walking on air the times they aired an Arsenal game.

It took a couple of more years before I really got hooked and started following the team through the news and whatever online musings I could find.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
August 1995, 10 years old. Arsenal spent part of the pre season in Sweden, a trip organised by a childhood friend of my mum and his company. He got me a team photo with the signatures of the players, including Wrighty, Bergkamp et al. Photo was from the previous season though as they hadn’t taken an updated one with new players.

Opportunities to watch Arsenal were few and far between though but I very fondly remember watching Swedish “Tipslördag” together with my dad. Him with A beer and myseldning with a snickers. Evert single Saturday. Was walking on air the times they aired an Arsenal game.

It took a couple of more years before I really got hooked and started following the team through the news and whatever online musings I could find.

Tipslördag...grand old tradition. Also the reason why clubs like Stoke and WBA are pretty popular amongst a certain age group in Sweden

mpower2540

Unashamedly a glory supporter. I grew up in Leeds, my dad was a Leeds fan but never really went to the games. He took me to Elland Road once and that was to watch us vs Arsenal in 2002. He said to me before the game "This lot are going to utterly dismantle us today so watch a proper team in action." He's always been quite a negative soul but my god he was right that day, I'd never seen a team like it, pace, power, beautiful football and the best player in the world doing his thing.

Plus they were in direct competition with United at the time and there was only one rule in my house when it came to football. Support whoever you want except Man Utd :lol:

Buhry

Established Member

Bergkamp and Overmars highlights on tv in 1997-98 ish tbh, when I was probably about 8 or 9, also had some way too big Ian Wright replica shirt with the JVC logo.

Arsenal Quotes

I didnt score as many as I hoped, but it was nice that I always scored against Tottenham

Charlie Nicholas

Latest posts

Top Bottom