• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Who had the better season? Arsenal or Man Utd.

Who had the better season Arsenal or Man Utd?

• Arsenal

Votes: 59 84.3%
  • United

Votes: 11 15.7%

• Total voters

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Also Utd aren’t going anywhere meaningful until they sort out the De Gea situation. If they get a decent keeper who can play with his feet then they could start going places

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Overall Arsenal were a better team than Utd this season, despite the pretty embarrassing end of season collapse.

Utd just have a strange stranglehold on some people, I’ve already seen people confidently predict Utd will finish above Arsenal next season, which I don’t really agree with. Tbf if they sign Kane then they will probably finish above us.

Even with Kane, I dont think they are guaranteed to finish above us.

The game is about quality all over the pitch now, Man City has forced us to build teams that are elite in almost every position in your team, and coming off your bench as well. One player out and your drop off is huge, as seen with Saliba and seen with Van Dyk.

United have a lot of building to do still, so do Liverpool, so do Chelsea. The only team other than City who are close to going past us are Newcastle. And only them and not Brighton as well, because Newcastle are investing into a functional football system.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
I'd say Arsenal and it isn't close. I thought Liverpool had a better season than us when we won the FA Cup in 13/14 too and I thought Sp**s had a better season in 16/17 when they got 86 points and we won the FA Cup again. League table is the ultimately barometer especially when you have a big gap between you're in a title race and there's a big gap between 3rd/4th

To go off on a tangent, would Leicester City be better finishing in the CL spaces and not winning the FA Cup?

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
I'd say Arsenal and it isn't close. I thought Liverpool had a better season than us when we won the FA Cup in 13/14 too and I thought Sp**s had a better season in 16/17 when they got 86 points and we won the FA Cup again. League table is the ultimately barometer especially when you have a big gap between you're in a title race and there's a big gap between 3rd/4th

To go off on a tangent, would Leicester City be better finishing in the CL spaces and not winning the FA Cup?

Indeed.

The best barometer of team strength is their participation in their top league. Soon the Champions League will catch up in terms of a better measure, when the CL changes its format to a more league like system.

Cup competitions right now, including the CL is more of a lottery. You get a good draw and some luck in the knockouts and you win the CL. Very prestigious of course, but ultimately the result of good fortune in the competition.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

The FA cup is miles more prestigious than a cup named after a third rate energy drink though, so if they’d come third and won the cup I think there is more of a discussion to be had here.

Andrew Cole Linighan

Player:Saka
Just trying to make a 'POSSIBLE' case for Man Utd having had a better season than us.
Looking at there website, I noticed there Home league form was pretty impressive. They lost there first home league match, against Brighton. After that, stayed unbeaten. At Old Trafford, they beat Man City, Arsenal, Tottenham, (and poorer this season) Liverpool, and Chelsea. It was.the away form which wasn't as good. Big defeats at Liverpool and Man City. Lost 4 - 0 at Brentford.
Then Arsenal had two 'BIG' defeats. Lost 4 - 1 at Man City, and 3 - 0 at home to Brighton.
Brighton obviously know how to play away at Arsenal and Man Utd.
So to sum up sorry. Looking at league results and cup performances, I think Arsenal and Man Utd last season, were about neck and neck.

ArsenesCoatMaker

Established Member
Indeed.

The best barometer of team strength is their participation in their top league. Soon the Champions League will catch up in terms of a better measure, when the CL changes its format to a more league like system.

Cup competitions right now, including the CL is more of a lottery. You get a good draw and some luck in the knockouts and you win the CL. Very prestigious of course, but ultimately the result of good fortune in the competition.

Yes there's definitely cup luck in the CL. If you look at Chelsea winning the CL 2 seasons ago versus their 74 points in the league. Well their league points were much more indicitive of where they were as a club and is the reason that after they're a mid table club right now. Similar to Sp**s making a final a few seasons back before they're clear decline. The Premier League is the ultimate measure to where you are as a club right now.

However I'm not sure what changes they can make to the CL to make it more like a league or if they want to do that. Because part of the sell is the drama of it all.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Both clubs got good transition seasons, but nothing to write about overall.
Arsenal fans bragging about finishing 10 points below Man City in the weakest PL season in ages is proper tinpot stuff though.
It wasn’t 10 points below though was it.

We finished closer to Man City than Man Utd. There are clear deficient areas in our team which with the right investment can see us hitting the 90 point mark. Whether that will be enough to overhaul City is another matter.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
The FA cup is miles more prestigious than a cup named after a third rate energy drink though, so if they’d come third and won the cup I think there is more of a discussion to be had here.
That's what it comes down to imo. 3rd and FA Cup - especially if you win it by beating quality opposition - is definitely worth consideration, 3rd and a cup filled with ox piss isn't.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
That's what it comes down to imo. 3rd and FA Cup - especially if you win it by beating quality opposition - is definitely worth consideration, 3rd and a cup filled with ox piss isn't.

I don’t think you can ignore the hammerings they’ve taken either. Loosing 7-0 to a **** Liverpool is surely the worst result in their history. Imagine we lost 7-0 to Sp**s…

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Think it can be argued either, tbh... Arsenal cause we look like we could be finally back as a top of the table team, United cause they technically achieved what we did plus with a cup.

Guess it depends who pushes on the best next season, we gotta see.

Think the big issue is the fact they won the League Cup, which is pretty much one of the least prestigious trophies in the world (the constant name changes make it feel like a damn preseason tournament too!) all it really does is try and take some of the shine away from the FA cup in England, as there shouldn't be 2 major domestic cup competitions in a country.

If the the League Cup didn't exist and United won the FA cup instead, then it would definitely have been them.

In 13-14 we finished quite a bit behind Pool, which included getting smashed by Chelsea 6-0 and like being the only team to not beat Moyes' United at least once (a team Liverpool battered home and away that season I think) but none of that mattered when we broke our trophy drought by winning the FA cup...was an amazing feeling to win again, I am sure you all felt the same.

We kicked on way better than Liverpool the next season too, signing Sanchez ahead of them and finishing a place higher (won the cup again too) while **** knows where they even finished in 2015...the league positions at the end of the season are never as black and white as they seem.

Could go either way, but the club is very together behind the scenes again so I back us.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
I don’t think you can ignore the hammerings they’ve taken either. Loosing 7-0 to a **** Liverpool is surely the worst result in their history. Imagine we lost 7-0 to Sp**s…
Yeah that's a massive black mark. Not even like they had a man sent off or had to start a bunch of kids they just collectively shat all over themselves.

Ljonin

Another way to look at this is - which team wins this league title if the cheating, financially doped club get punished accordingly?

It’s not the Carabao cup winners.

Jason Jace

Honestly, why do we have this thread ?

It's embarrassing, who cares about who had a better season, it's over let's look to the future.

UnitedBeard

An annoying Manc
Think it can be argued either, tbh... Arsenal cause we look like we could be finally back as a top of the table team, United cause they technically achieved what we did plus with a cup.

Guess it depends who pushes on the best next season, we gotta see.

Think the big issue is the fact they won the League Cup, which is pretty much one of the least prestigious trophies in the world (the constant name changes make it feel like a damn preseason tournament too!) all it really does is try and take some of the shine away from the FA cup in England, as there shouldn't be 2 major domestic cup competitions in a country.

If the the League Cup didn't exist and United won the FA cup instead, then it would definitely have been them.

In 13-14 we finished quite a bit behind Pool, which included getting smashed by Chelsea 6-0 and like being the only team to not beat Moyes' United at least once (a team Liverpool battered home and away that season I think) but none of that mattered when we broke our trophy drought by winning the FA cup...was an amazing feeling to win again, I am sure you all felt the same.

We kicked on way better than Liverpool the next season too, signing Sanchez ahead of them and finishing a place higher (won the cup again too) while **** knows where they even finished in 2015...the league positions at the end of the season are never as black and white as they seem.

Could go either way, but the club is very together behind the scenes again so I back us.
Yeah the only way to say who has better season this season is who is going to push higher next season. Right now there is no justify to say who has better season because both clubs only demonstrated ’’progress’’. But this progress is meaningless if it doesn’t continue next season.

The positive from arsenal season is that they are making progress in the league meaning if this progress doesn’t continue next season then what happened this season becomes meaningless or even worse.

United actually also made progress in the PL, they are 2nd most improved teams based on points difference compared to last season (Newcastle is the first one). In addition to that, we had to compete in EFL Cup and FA Cup, which we played lot of matches, if we would have focused on the league, may be we would have done much better in the league.

Anyway, I think to say who has better season this season depends on what happens next season.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Anyone objectively looking at this will know that we had the better season. The underlying metrics prove this.

Where I will be judging Arteta much more on is the ability to perform in multiple competitions like a club our size should. United, to be fair to them, did well in this regard although it’s easier to prioritise other competitions when you aren’t anywhere near a title challenge and the other challengers for top 4 (except Newcastle) have had dreadful seasons.

We were screwed after both Saliba and Tomiyasu picked up long term injuries meaning we crumbled defensively. This is a situation we cannot find ourselves in next season.

Need to find adequate solutions for depth who can fit into our system - surely promote someone from the academy who can play and fit our system when we have injuries rather than just wheeling out Holding who isn’t capable of providing what we need from that position.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

We played better football. But they went further than us in both domestic competitions and Europa league and won the league cup. 3rd and 2nd in the league is not much of difference. They also beat us in the overall h2h

Arsenal Quotes

Everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom