• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

who will be our new captain IF PV4 leaves?

nnaife

i'd make bergkamp captain as this is his final season but Sol, Ash, Kolo or Thierry would do the job just fine.

johe

As much as I would like seeing Bergkamp made captain for a whole season, several problems present themselves:

- He doesn't fly

- He isn't necessarily going to be a permanent fixture in the team

- Even if he was, I'm not sure he would be able to play so many games at
that age.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
i dont think TH would be a good choice... we dont need a "sulky" captain if things arent going his way.. that doesnt look for to the rest of the squad, and we all know TH has a tendency to do that.... i would say Cole or Freddie....

A

Anonymous

uh oh usarsenal u gotta watch urself ppl might start calling u names coz they dont agree that th14 is sulky :roll:

well campbell is the obvious choice, but in the distant future how about cesc...hes a natural leader...perhaps flamini if he bcomes viera-like....

beanz

I'm really not sure about this, initially I thought Sol, but then thinking more about it, he does'nt come across as being a great communicator, a la, T.A.6 or Wrighty even. Then I thought of Ash, there's certainly no doubting his passion & commitment and he can certainly communicate but perhaps too well sometimes, (I'm thinking of the Euro '04 match that Pierluigi Collina ref'd), he also comes across as being a bit immature at times.
So who does that leave? Kolo? not really been here long enough, Titi? can sometimes be a bit distant from the play (wandering around offside)
Bobby? not too sure about his communication skills either, and if he's rolling around at ankle level (sorry SL) he can hardly be encouraging his teamates :wink:
So that leaves just one choice in my book, the prospective candidate for the "Monster Raving Loony Party"; Jens, "get out of my goalmouth or I'll sort you out" Lehman. Nuff said :mrgreen:

MightyArsenal

The argument that henry is too sulky to be captain is wrong. Look at the way it changed beckham and vieira as an example. Henry is arsenal through and through and deserves captaincy as much as anyone. Hes also been with us for a while now. Only vieira and bergy will have played more games than him I would guess.

nnaife

Oh man USArsenal, wash yer mouth out with soap n water titi is a driven man not a sulker.

His face shows concentration, seriousness and hungry intent, opposition beware!!!

sanyasi

although i agree with you USArsenal, im afraid, that you tread on thin ice there, and beware the backlash!

shaz

i think henry has a certain arrogance about him, which i dont mind at all, because thats who he is, and it made him the player he is. if he didnt have it, he wouldnt have as much confidant as he does sometimes, and thus goals like that against united at home last season may not be possible.

however, having said that, i dont think he is the best candidate for the captaincy imo. bergkamp would be very good (tho i am a bit biased with that :mrgreen: ) and if parlour was still around, i would have given it to him. i do believe cole will be a future captain.

personally i would give the captains armband who knows about football properly, tactically etc. a real leader, and to be honest i dont think theres any that could replace viera at the moment

A

Anonymous

Scottish Lass said:
uh oh usarsenal u gotta watch urself ppl might start calling u names coz they dont agree that th14 is sulky :roll:

Grow up and get over it.

If you come onto an Arsenal forum and make the statement that Pires does not deserve to play for Arsenal, which really is ridiculous then you have to expect that you are going to get abuse.

Anyway

Henry wouldnt be a good choice as captain for me, for the reasons USArsenal said.

Campbell is the obvious choice.

Beyond that I can only really see Ash as another possible candidate. He WILL be Arsenal captain at some point in his career.

Wengers policy when it comes to captains is that when the captain is out injured the longest serving player takes over, which is why Parlour was captain for a spell last year, same with Dennis. But if we had a vice captain it would be SC.

Mark

Established Member
For me there is no one in our current side who would make as good a captain as Paddy, but the obvious choices are Sol, Ash or Kolo. Cole would personally be my first choice.

beanz

Will no-one take up the gauntlet I cast down on behalf of "Looney" Jens, come on you guys, I expected at least one of you to make a comment :mrgreen:

lewdikris

Established Member
I said it 10 months ago and I'll say it again now - Kolo is the next captain of Arsenal Football Club. No-one in our team is a more positive influence on the pitch, noone wants to win as much or improve as a player more, and I very much doubt anyone's a better role model off it. He's a good guy and is going to be one of the greats.

If Paddy went then Sol's the natural stopover, but Kolo in the longterm, no doubt for me.

patrick42uk

Established Member
henry for captain? please no. the team as a whole would be affected even more by his mood swings. although captaincy could remove that from him and the inconsistency that goes with that. that little armband does wonders for players.

i never thought of it, but kolo is a good candidate. his determination is already contagious as it is, being captain would amplify that. he'd get my vote behind cole and sol.

Arsenal Quotes

I didnt score as many as I hoped, but it was nice that I always scored against Tottenham

Charlie Nicholas
Top Bottom