• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

who will be our new captain IF PV4 leaves?

Gooner83

def not Cole... gets worked up a little easy.

Sol.. first choice
Bergy.. second choice

we are a little thin on leaders :?

kutz

This is a fascinating question as there's no truly obvious first choice. Campbell obviously comes to mind, but captaining both Spuds and Arsenal???

Hmm.....

I'm interested in all the calls for Kolo to be the long-term captain, and wondering if people could supply some more evidence for his case.

As for Cole, maybe a bit young just yet.

Dennis will probably serve in place of PV and SC being out in the first game.

Mark

Established Member
Now that I think about it, Toure really might be the best long term option. He would really lead by example and just imagine how he would respond to getting the armband, he would take on all the responsibility and really lead by example.

At the moment it might be Sol, but in the long term I think it will definetly go to either Cole or Toure. Both would make truly great captains for Arsenal.

Aussie

Established Member
If i was Wenger i would pick Ash.

I belive he is a great on and off field leader.
He is young but experienced now.
He is a tough no nonsense player.
I belive that he will play his entire career out at Arsenal which means we have a captain for the next ten years.
When he has been given a challenge for both club and country for eg against ronaldo against Portugal he stood and showed great leadership qualities.

However i expect Wenger will go for Sol who will captain for two or three years then retire.

Auctually dosent he want to play out his career in America :?:

lewdikris

Established Member
kutz said:
I'm interested in all the calls for Kolo to be the long-term captain, and wondering if people could supply some more evidence for his case.

How exactly? :lol: Watch him play. The enthusiasm; the way he talks to himself when he does something wrong or to others; think back to the game when we were 3-0 down against Inter Milan and he turned in a second half performance that was just mind-bogglingly inspirational.

Pasha

Sol will be a great captain if Paddy leaves..Bergy and Ash!..I think sooner or later Ash will be a great captain.... :D

tbbosa

Sol does not communicate that much in my opinion, Ashley could do a good job, but him and Henry I belive are the same when it comes to the so called "sulking"....that leaves us with Kolo or Sendros.
We need to have a captain who will be there for long and Kolo for me is the best choice.
- he is motivated, and a good communicator IMHO!!

KingReyes

Established Member
Evil Dragon said:
Who is our Vice Captain now that Parlour has left ?

I guess Bergkamp, also I remember Sol got the armband against Pompey in the F.A Cup when Henry and Paddy got subbed off if that means anything.

gash

What about Reyes?

Sure he's only been there for half a season but already he seems to be a very big favourite of the fans and players alike. He got a huge reaction from the players everytime he scored, it appears that they all rather like him.

Just a thought, I suppose we could mention anyone in the team really.

Aussie

Established Member
gash said:
What about Reyes?

Sure he's only been there for half a season but already he seems to be a very big favourite of the fans and players alike. He got a huge reaction from the players everytime he scored, it appears that they all rather like him.

Just a thought, I suppose we could mention anyone in the team really.

He has as much chance as Jeffers getting it.

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
As someone already said - Ash would probarly be the best choice.

But Arsène will most probarly go for Campbell - and then when he retires Ash will be favourite imo.

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
As someone already said - Ash would probarly be the best choice.

But Arsène will most probarly go for Campbell - and then when he retires Ash will be favourite imo.

Arnie

seeing as this thread has gotten ridiculous with votes for jose and freddy, it's up to me to put it back on track. Sol is ur man. The only england player to be in 4 major touraments, and he's been in the all star team for 3 of them.

He's been there and done it. Also i think this perception that he doesn't talk is down to his coolness of the field because on it i see him constantly pointing in directions telling people where to go. plus he is a constant proffessional. He is the man!!

kutz

Essentially guys, it comes down to things that we don't know and can't see. There are a number of criteria, but the most important are:

#1. WHO DO THE PLAYERS RESPECT AND LISTEN TO?
#2. WHO HAS THE NOUCE TO KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE WHEN?
#3. WHO WILL STEP UP AND BE COUNTED ON THE BIG OCCASSIONS?

These three are your most important, and some of these things we really can't see from our position.

Referring to #1. We can clearly tell lots of this from body language, but really, with the culture of love and respect amongst the team at Highbury, how can we tell who it is the players REALLY look up to? We're not there at training to see who it is that offers the little bits of advice and which bits of advice are appreciated and which aren't. I've played some sport at the highest level, and there are people earning millions playing sport who have no idea when it comes to coaching, giving advice or knowing what the right tactical response in a situation is. Supremely talented, but without understanding. We don't know which players are which.

2. I can't hear what Sol calls out to Lauren when I'm watching the TV, and I'm not sure if it's the right thing to say or not. Essentially, they must not only talk, but say things worth listening to. And we don't know who fits this criterion from our seats on the sideline.

Referring to #3. Now this one we can see more, but even then, who knows whose shouts of encouragement or advice or organisation it was that actually made the difference? Only the players and coach really. Sure, individual performance counts massively here, and that part we can know.

Essentially, I'm just saying that in certain areas we need to understand there are things we can'Referring to #t know about the decision.

calvinngai88

Either Bergkamp or Campbell. However, with Bergkamp not a regular player anymore, Campbell is more of a definite choice, and also a right choice. Cole and Kolo will be the future leaders. Another rare candidate will be Ljungberg. He's the only player who kept asking the fans to cheer louder for the team. I bet everyone has seen him doing that before. :D

Arsenal Quotes

The club changed so much, I changed with it and football has changed with us... But one thing never changes: the 90 minutes still belong to the player, 90 minutes during which he is king.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom