• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will mr Diaby take his chance??

DK Gooner

I see Diaby as an attacking player, but still find it difficult to see where he fits into this team. He has positive qualities that contrast sharply with his other rivals in midfield, yet his style is not one many of us would envisage for a starting AM. Playing him in a deeper lying role does not best suit our current needs either. His talent and style is such that I've predominantly believed he would be best served in a team which is focused on him i.e. one where he plays a main rather than supporting role.

I still think it is possible that he could carve out a role for himself as a wing forward or as a deeper support striker like Tim Cahill does at Everton. The only problem is that the longer he has been at this club, the longer he has taken to make decisions in the final third. His dribbling and ability to shield the ball are not in doubt, but his speed of execution has dimmed, almost certainly due to prolonged spells out injured.

I wouldn't sell him in January as he can still be useful, but I think we should part ways in the summer (unless he is absolutely amazing and fit for the rest of the season).

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
I'd say Diaby releases the ball much more quickly these days than in the past. And he's much more responsible defensively. He's going to prove a brilliant squad option if he can stay fit... :p

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Quicker than Walcott said:
I'd say Diaby releases the ball much more quickly these days than in the past. And he's much more responsible defensively. He's going to prove a brilliant squad option if he can stay fit... :p

And I tend to agree with you here. If he can stay injury free this season, he'll prove his worth but I imagine this might be his last season to impress or stay fit.

CandysRoom

Established Member
One thing last nights game showed is Coquelin and Frimpong are at the required level. Need to be given their chance now, and the likes of Diaby and Rosicky will just have to accept it.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Quicker than Walcott said:

:lol:

no chance!

ebouenolike

Established Member
redanddread said:
If he can stay injury free this season, he'll prove his worth

Out of 23 first team games this season Diaby has made TWO SUBSTITUTE APPEARANCES and is now injured again.

caek

Kain said:
Would honestly like to see more of Frimpong and Coquelin than Abou Diaby.

He's had his chance, them two youngsters did more last night against a fairly decent Man City lineup than Diaby has done in years, when the opportunity arrises for a shot in the first team, or as a substitute, it should be them.
Completely agree with this. How many more chances are we going to give him? I understand he's been unlucky with injuries, but honestly speaking, Frimpong and Coquelin both deserve their chance.

Personally, I would prefer if we sold Diaby, but I may be in the minority here- I don't know.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
But but but... weren't we also foaming over Denilson saying how he deserves a chance and Gilberto should be the sacrifice. That didn't end too well did it?

DK Gooner

ebouenolike said:
Out of 23 first team games this season Diaby has made TWO SUBSTITUTE APPEARANCES and is now injured again.

After being out injured for so long, Diaby is bound to pick up a few niggling injuries. I didn't consider him likely to play 2 games in a week so soon after coming back.

CandysRoom said:
One thing last nights game showed is Coquelin and Frimpong are at the required level. Need to be given their chance now, and the likes of Diaby and Rosicky will just have to accept it.

If we are chasing a game, I would rather Diaby or Rosicky come on than Frimpong or Coquelin which to me puts them in an attacking midfield bracket and therefore not in competition with either of those two for a midfield slot. They may occupy squad places ahead of our two promising starlets, but Frimpong and Coquelin are better replacements for Song and to a lesser extent Arteta in the team. Given the need for variety on the bench, one of Frimpong and Coquelin is going to have to miss out in favour of Diaby and Rosicky. I would potentially try Diaby out as a LWF as deputy to Gervinho as well since Arshavin has become so ineffectual.

ebouenolike

Established Member
DK Gooner said:
After being out injured for so long, Diaby is bound to pick up a few niggling injuries. I didn't consider him likely to play 2 games in a week so soon after coming back.

He always has 'niggling injuries' - I was just pointing out that we are in December now and he hasn't been fully fit once. It happens every year and then people excuse it and say he'll be great when he's back etc.

1macca1

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
ebouenolike said:
DK Gooner said:

He always has 'niggling injuries' - I was just pointing out that we are in December now and he hasn't been fully fit once. It happens every year and then people excuse it and say he'll be great when he's back etc.
I can't believe more people haven't grown tired of this already. Actually, this thread came as quite a surprise to me to see so many still believed Diaby had a future here. I've long considered him dead waste. I never mind when a player proves me wrong but with quite a lot of better options around now imo I just don't think I will be. Hopefully he'll regain some fitness, play some F.A Cup then some other poor club will take the gamble on him in the Summer to clear the 60k a week off our wage bill and open a squad space.

dpt49

Established Member
Even without the injuries he is no better than a mid table player.
He is too inconsistent to be considered anything more than a squad player.

I remember when he was being compared to Vieira after he had left, but the only similarity between the two is the amount of time they spend on the physio's bench.

I have seen some great displays by Diaby but they are few and far between and at the age of 25 and the fact he is on 50k a week means that selling him while we can get a few million for him is the best option.

Same goes for Rosicky, Arshavin, Chamakh, Denilson and Almunia,
With the sort of wages these player are on I can't see too many clubs queueing up to buy them

shariqdhanani

mixed views on diaby. My problem with him is obviously his injuries and his decision making on the pitch at times. I have so many diaby moments to look back on which i would want to forget. However, when diaby makes one of his runs getting past two to three players with his long legs, i cant help but think that this guy is going to be a great player one day.

My head tells me to let him go but my heart tells me he is a unique talent and we should keep him.

CandysRoom

Established Member
Nicely put.

If he continues to be seemingly happy with a bit part role at Arsenal, he does possess some pretty unique skills, which can be game changing.

I think that if he and Rosicky continue to be injured often, they may find the likes of Coquelin, Frimpong AOC and others progress ahead of them in the first team squad. What this will result in terms of Diaby continuing to be happy, i don't know.

The heart says to persevere though. When he plays well, he's untouchable!

VancouverCanuck

I'll put my hand up and agree with those who think Diaby should be given more opportunities. Even though Frimpong and Coq are showing promises, they are still too inexperienced and their roles are different than Diaby, who is more of an AM.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

VancouverCanuck said:
I'll put my hand up and agree with those who think Diaby should be given more opportunities. Even though Frimpong and Coq are showing promises, they are still too inexperienced and their roles are different than Diaby, who is more of an AM.

How many more does he need?

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
DJ_Markstar said:
VancouverCanuck said:

How many more does he need?

About as many as RvP got :)

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

But RvP is at a much higher level than Diaby, and well worth putting up with his injuries for.

Arsenal Quotes

To all the Arsenal lovers:
Take care of the values of the club. My love and support forever.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom