• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will mr Diaby take his chance??

heltaschelta

Our midfield is practically a blank page at the moment. With the loss of our best playmaker, a new and different style will come.
Who will step up and take command?
Will Diaby finally take his chance?

I think if he can manage his temperament he could do it. But I wouldn't say I'm optimistic. But I would love to see a midfield of Song, Diaby and Wilshere. They could be immense for us this year.

Thoughts guys?

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Diaby's main issue is whether this surgery will let him fully recover from his ankle injury. Last season was supposed to be his break through year. He had broken in the French national team and put in good performances for us, but he would always get injured again.

He was never able to consistently perform for us because of these niggling injuries and eventually Jack took his spot in midfield.

When he comes back he's probably going to fight as much as can for a starting spot because he's going to want to go to the Euros with France. The fact that we bid so much for M'Vila should make him want to lift his game even more. He can't let the same player take your spot at club and international level - unless you're Fabianski.

I don't think his temperament is that big of an issue. The Newcastle match was a turning point for everyone, but Barton nearly took his whole leg off, so can understand his anger. And that other match when he kicked the ball out of play, Robin gave him a dressing down in the locker room. I wouldn't expect Diaby to do stuff like that this season.

If he stays healthy, and this is a big if, he could have a good season.

scytheavatar

Established Member
He actually has improved a lot last season, he is releasing the balls earlier and defending better. It's just that injures and crap like the Newcastle incident has ruined him and make him a lighting rod for fan hate. Which is a shame.

Y va marquer

Established Member
What's the latest on his recovery?
He was due back at the end of August beginning of September according to Arsène but not a sight of him yet.
If he stays consistenly fit on his return he has at the very least a fighting chance to play his way into contention for a first team spot.
We've been so unsettled and poor in midfield so far that any player who hits some form could cement a place.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

We can never rely on Diaby, similar to Rosicky in that he'll play a game and be out for a couple of weeks with a mystery injury. If he's the same this season then we should be getting rid of him, we're basically wasting a squad place with him when he's out for half the season on average. He'd still probably start for us when he get's fit, which says it all about our depth.

progman07

Established Member
Until he goes half a year or more without injury, he cannot focus fully on his game. He'll have it in his mind that 'when will I get injured again'. I didn't even mention his lack of intelligence and attitude, which will make his career even harder, even though he certainly has talent.

heltaschelta

THunter said:
We can never rely on Diaby, similar to Rosicky in that he'll play a game and be out for a couple of weeks with a mystery injury. If he's the same this season then we should be getting rid of him, we're basically wasting a squad place with him when he's out for half the season on average. He'd still probably start for us when he get's fit, which says it all about our depth.

The same could have been said of van persie. But I think our faith is being repaid.

If Diaby can take his chance our midfield may be amongst the best in the premiership again.
He has a lot going for him in my opinion. His finishing and dribbling are great. He just needs a run of games.

The "barton" incident wasn't really what I meant when I said temperament. I was thinking about how he would go now we are seriously under pressure for every point. His defensive positioning and set piece defending etc.

The plus side is that he can play a huge part in the continuity of our midfield. Song, wilshere and diaby know each other well. They have more pace than ramsey and arteta.

Bossa

Established Member
If he can get fit again then he could become an important player.

Wilshhere Song Arteta are with no doubt first choices but Diaby could play anywhere in that midfield. We cant put our faith 100% in Ramsey and Frimpong imo.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Just based on him phsyically and technically you would think you would , but he hasn't put it together yet but Wenger has faith in him so here's hoping he comes on .

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We are always under pressure as a team and when Diaby plays I think we can all see how his size helps defensively. Our biggest concern for Diaby's contribution to the team this season should be physical concerns and not mental ones.

kalleTheMan

Established Member
When he's at his best he's really good. Ramsey is miles away from putting in a performance like this against a good team like Porto <a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu-nWPO7Px4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu-nWPO7Px4</a>

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I still think Diaby is ahead of Ramsey in his ability to be dominant through the middle, but a lot of that is to do with his considerable physical advantage. I think we will see a different Diaby when playing with the likes of Arteta and Benayoun. Hopefully he can learn from them and become a key part of midfield again. We will definitely need his strength and athleticism.

qs

Established Member
kalleTheMan said:
When he's at his best he's really good. Ramsey is miles away from putting in a performance like this against a good team like Porto <a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu-nWPO7Px4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu-nWPO7Px4</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well you could reverse that whole comment and say Diaby never had a game like Ramsey against United last season.

They're both lacking consistency. The difference is Ramseys 20 and recovering from a major injury and Diaby is 25 and has shown consistent injury problems (stemming from a similar injury at a young age).

Basically we know what we'll get with Diaby. If he can stay fit I'd probably have him at an even level with Ramsey in terms of his squad role. That being I'd have neither in the 1st team but right now they're my first subs in midfield.

kalleTheMan

Established Member
I thought Ramseys performace against United was good but not great. He was struggling a bit in the first half. Anyway, Diaby and Ramsey are both good enough to be squad players but neither should be first choice. I personally rate Diaby higher because he's technically and athletically superior and I struggle to see what Ramsey contributes atm.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Arsenal fans in 'renewed hope for Diaby after long absence' shocker!

It always happens. Always. :lol:

I'll say this, though: As long as he's kept on a leash and tries to execute a specific role like last season, then there migt be a flicker of a chance.

In place of Song.

qs

Established Member
The Jury said:
Arsenal fans in 'renewed hope for Diaby after long absence' shocker!

It always happens. Always. :lol:

I'll say this, though: As long as he's kept on a leash and tries to execute a specific role like last season, then there migt be a flicker of a chance.

In place of Song.

Arsenal fan in "stupidly underrating Song" shocker!

Seriuosly you laugh at peoples hopes for Diaby and then suggest he could replace Song. Not a hope. There is no one at the club who is close to challenging Song for his spot in the first 11.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
What do you know!

Song's now become Makelele after his 3 match ban. Brilliant. :mrgreen:

Truth be known, they're both ****.

Arsenal Quotes

Football is a bit like elections. Before it's unpredictable. After it's unexplainable... But there's an opportunity for us to make it unforgettable.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom