• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will mr Diaby take his chance??

TheArsenalis

shariqdhanani said:
mixed views on diaby. My problem with him is obviously his injuries and his decision making on the pitch at times. I have so many diaby moments to look back on which i would want to forget. However, when diaby makes one of his runs getting past two to three players with his long legs, i cant help but think that this guy is going to be a great player one day.

My head tells me to let him go but my heart tells me he is a unique talent and we should keep him.
+1 my very opinion on him, he has skills to put the ownage on a team, body strenght, good midrange pass. But (sigh) the tendancy to ball hog.

2 things he needs to do. 1 stay fit and 2 work on decision making, there is a top player in him along with a midtable loafer, which be shoukd be extinguish or curb. Or we have to cut him loose.

ebouenolike

Established Member
DJ_Markstar said:
Seriously? You didn't see the difference before?

Exactly RvP was special. Before his injury in 06/7 season he was ridiculously good and was tearing it up. In 07/8 he was crucial to our blistering start. In 08/9 he was a Goliath for us - propelling us to 4th spot. The following year he was the man in 4-3-3 and was remarkable again. Then in 2010/11 he was outstanding again.

If you only just realised RvP was ridiculously good then I don't know what to say.

ArseGod

Diaby is an enigma. It is obvious he has alot to offer and will become a top player. I just can't see it happening here. He is always hurt. Not a slant on him, it's not his fault his ankle got snapped. Poor kid, I think he needs a fresh start. If fit he would probably to great things in Italy

Anzac

Established Member
Bottom line for me is that Diaby is no longer a starting player,
and as such is not worth 60k/week to sit on the bench.

We complain about the dross & over paid players eating up our wage budget to the point we couldn't 'afford' Mata's wages (and were damned lucky that Arteta took a pay cut),
and yet we want to retain the likes of Diaby & Rosicky for the bench when BOTH are on former starting wages???

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
Saying RvP is ridiculously good doesn't mean that Diaby is infinitely worthless, is what I'm trying to say.

ebouenolike

Established Member
mavelous said:
Saying RvP is ridiculously good doesn't mean that Diaby is infinitely worthless, is what I'm trying to say.

Yeh. Nothing to do with RvP Diaby is fairly pointless currently. Simply put if a player can't stay fit they can't help the team - it's that simple.

And whatever sympathy I attempted to muster for Diaby faded when I read this - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3629197/Arsenals-Abou-Diaby-I-own-and-wear-a-Sp**s-top.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... s-top.html</a>

ibby

Established Member
He can wear as many Sp**s shirts as he wants. Hell, I'll even buy him one if he wants.

Kicking John Terry unconscious is the greatest thing achieved by any footballer. He should receive a life-time achievement award right now.

Floating

Established Member
ibby said:
He can wear as many Sp**s shirts as he wants. Hell, I'll even buy him one if he wants.

Kicking John Terry unconscious is the greatest thing achieved by any footballer. He should receive a life-time achievement award right now.

:lol:

ebouenolike

Established Member
Nah - saying he wears a Sp**s shirt around the house is completely ridiculous to me. I can't think of ONE other player who would:

a) have a Sp**s shirt
b) wear said Sp**s shirt around the house
c) admit it to a newspaper

shariqdhanani

Anzac said:
Bottom line for me is that Diaby is no longer a starting player,
and as such is not worth 60k/week to sit on the bench.

We complain about the dross & over paid players eating up our wage budget to the point we couldn't 'afford' Mata's wages (and were damned lucky that Arteta took a pay cut),
and yet we want to retain the likes of Diaby & Rosicky for the bench when BOTH are on former starting wages???
mata's wages has nothing to do with diaby. Our wage structure is the reason why we can never sign a world class player.

60k is actually very little for a big club if that is what we are. Every team has players that get injured, lose form, etc. If the solution was always to get rid of these players, then we would have let rvp go because obviously he was always out for more than half of a season. Im not saying diaby is going to become as influential as rvp ... I don't know what diaby will become.

What we have to decide is is it worth the risk of 60k, which is really nothing if we're a big club, to keep around a player who has bags of talent and potential who is unlucky with injuries? To show faith in a player who can never get a proper run of games because of injuries? Yes i think it is, diaby is not a lost cause just yet. A healthy diaby with a run of games can become into a world class player. Obviously, this is what Arsène is hoping and doing.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
DJ_Markstar said:
mavelous said:

No one said that, though?

Likewise, I never said that there's no difference between RvP and Diaby. just give him the same chance that RvP got. There's no massive difference between talent, but the perception and recency biases put more weight on our memory. Hence we assume that RvP was always going to make it despite injuries. If Diaby gets an injury free run like RvP, he can be incredibly useful, if not key, to our campaign on multiple fronts against different style of opponents we face.

IF Diaby recovers form. Just the same as it was IF RvP ever got over his injury woes.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
You put up a strawman argument, Diaby HAS been given similar chances to RvP and arguably he didn't deserve them as he's a lower grade footballer. Get rid.

mavelous

Tinfoil hat aficionado
Lower grade than RvP, but still incredibly talented and very useful to the Arsenal side that compete in England. Surely you know this. RvP was still having his problems last year post-WC, i.e. around age 27. Diaby is 25. i'd say he deserves a chance, which he'll get until this summer anyway. beyond that, for 11-12, we'll just have to wait and see how he does between now and may, and he'll also be 26.

It's not just a strawman against you, but it's an inescapable trick our brains play on us. Hindsight is 20/20 too.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
He is currently Frances best centre midfield player in terms of performance over the last 10 months now admittedly that doesn't carry anywhere near as much weight as it did in the past but only here would such a player be written off by his own fans. Post Cesc we no longer play a possession based game so this should suit Diaby down to a tee.

We should definitely persevere with him and the situation is definitely comparable to the RVP situation a few years ago.

DK Gooner

I would only give him till the end of the season. RVP turned out well for us, but despite his talent, it could quite easily have been different.

The actual position they occupy though works more in RVP's favour than it does Diaby. Since the departure of Henry, we have have tried only a few different forwards in various combinations and systems, before we settled on the Dutchman as a consistent choice. Diaby though is trying to force his way into the one position where we have an abundance of good options. With the 25 man squad rule in the PL, keeping hold of injury-prone players over the age of 21 is difficult particularly if there are more than one. Frimpong, Coquelin and Wilshere (not quite sure on Ramsey's age) don't currently eat into our overage quota, but in around 2 years, they will start to count meaning that Diaby has a fairly short window to get over his injuries and show some good form.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Arsène seems quite bullish on Diaby's prospects of reaching his potential now that he has had his ankle surgery. However, I can see this season being his last chance to cement a place in the squad-sooner or later even Arsène cuts his losses.

Arsenal Quotes

Religiously, it is said that God created man. I am only a guide. I allow others to express what they have in them. I have not created anything. I am a facilitator of what is beautiful in man.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom