• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will Ramadhaan effect Toure ?

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
i will say this now....

do not ANYONE turn this into a religion debate.... it will get DELETED if you do...

no one has yet, just forewarning...

:|

Mark

Established Member
I'm not even religious but I understand that for some people it is the most important thing in their lives. I doubt this will affect him much anyway. Lets stop before this turns into another massive argument.

informed1

ExiledInNewcastle said:
I am honestly and truly amazed that some one can compare a deeply held religious belief with an addictive disease like alcoholism!

you're not the only one.

I think Toure and the club had a sit down and look into this and devised a way around it. I think it might affect him slightly if he is fasting and maybe his team mates would have to bear that in mind on the pitch, it is a team sports afterall.

Gurgen

Established Member
gunnertilldeath said:
i know naybet of the **** is fasting. but whatever kolo does, we should support him. religion is very important. i am catholic but i feel the animosity in parts of the western world towards islam is sad and unfortunate. i am sure fans of arsenal and the team management will respect whatever decision he makes regarding his religion.

I'm sure Toure will make the right decision.

These things are always a bit awkward though, imagine a Christian who refuses to play on a Sunday, I as a Christian (not a very convinced one I might add :lol:) would find that unacceptable too. Luckily most Christians have moved with the times, I think it's time for the muslims to do the same, it's for their own good.

Gurgen

Established Member
ExiledInNewcastle said:
I am honestly and truly amazed that some one can compare a deeply held religious belief with an addictive disease like alcoholism!

Try and read that again and you will find that I wasn't comparing a religion and alcoholism but simply two things that people might find important.

Feanor

Established Member
Ramadhan is about discipline and willpower, it commerates the flight of Muhammed and his followers from Mecca to Medina (or Medina to Mecca can't remember). When you travel in the Desert, you sleep during the day and travel at night. Hence the custom of not eating or drinking while the sun is up which is easy to do when you're sleeping! In the modern world, this is quite impossible and Islam is a very forgiving religion so I say he should forget about it until he retires from professional football. Yes, I am a Muslim...kind of...

slapz

I guess he'll fast during weekdays or whatever but when its match day, he'll miss it and then make it up later OR give a reasonable amount to a charity for a third world country as what happens with some of the muslim guys who I'm mates with when they cant keep on for health purposes or so.

Maybe the FA's plan for a winter break can coincide with ramadan from next season on ;)

hesham

Established Member
so of the thingd said here are crazy comparing religon to Alcholism and move with the times!!!!
Fasting in Ramadan is essentsial in Islam and people should respect that there are more important things in life to people than football.. and i read b4 that Kolo prays five times a day so im pretty sure he fasts all of ramadan and he has every right to do so...
Also it doesnt effect a persons per4mance to that extent espisail as somme as fit as kolo...

tazmatic

Some players dont fast during the month and keep fast in the summer after the season ends.
I think Toure doesnt fast during match days, and makes up for them after teh month is finished.

AFCG7

Established Member
The thing about fasting is that once you fit the Islamic description of a "traveller" or once you have an illness you are allowed to forego the fast and make up for it later. So for some away games in the Premiership that qualify he doesnt have to fast and can make up for it later. As long as he is at home or goes to an away game close enough he still would be obligated to keep fast.
In other cases you can stop the fast in times of extreme hunger or if you have an excuse that is allowed ( i dont know if playing football fo your livelihood is one of those) .. but there are cases where you are allowed to skip the fast but you must make up for it later.

I got this information from a friend who asked the question at a local mosque.

shaz

heh, more muslims in this board than i originally thought ;D

anyways, few points:

yes, if you can make up for the fasts later on. i think it will be fine, though im not a scholar or anything.. but it should be ok.

secondaly i am offended by the suggestion from gurgen that islam should "move on". if you ask any muslim and tell him to change his religion you will find that this is very offensive. unless of course they are those "liberalists".

anyways, sorry about the rant.

LeTallec

Gurgen said:
He should be able to put them aside. We are living in the year 2004.

How would you feel if, say, your lawyer was a muslim who prays five times a day, taking his mat out in the middle of a meeting, just because the Coran tells him to do so at said time? You'd fire him right?

That 'convictions' story is crap. Gazza's convictions were drinking booze instead of training, should he have been allowed to do so too?

cant believe we still have ignorant idiots in this age... As for the Muslim lawyer praying during a meeting the times are flexible its not like you have pray at 2.24pm or else its void.. and comparing Gazza to Toure.. you must be thickest numbskull alive comparing an alcoholic to someone whose religious.. Being a devout Muslim guarantees Kolo to be an ultimate professional as I dont think he would have been out on many boozing sessions with Gazza..

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
it was a stupid correlation about Gazza's drinking compared to praying to a religion.....

i actually think that the times to pray are not as "lenient" as you say (from what I was told in the past, that is)... i used to work with a guy in a car plant who used to stop working at precisely the same time every night, regardless of where the line of production was and got his mat out and prayed... he would not change the time he prayed because he claimed that this was the time to pray....

now, not being a Muslim myself, I dont know if what he said was true or not.... im sure others who ARE Muslim can enlighten me a little... im a little naive about the practices of the Muslim religion....

kel varnsen

Established Member
gooner#1 said:
For people who dont know what Ramdhaan is , it is the most sacred month in the Islamic Calendar because it is the month the Quraan was revealed to the prophet Muhamaad.Muslims fast in this month.
Toure is a muslim , and I read on Arseweb that he dosnt fast in Ramahdaan.(sorry guys the page has been removed from arseweb)
This isnt true -My friend met Toure ,and asked him what he did in Ramadhaan.Toure said he does fast in the month but just not on match days .He makes it up after the month is finished.
I am a muslim -and even when you dont fast on a day ,you can still feel the effects from the day before.
This year will be tougher than last year though ,because the days are longer than last year at this time .

karim essesidiri, a player for my local team tromso and a tunisian international, said that ramahdaan is a problem for professional athletes. it affects his energy level and his general physical condition. so i wouldn't be surprised if toure looks a bit tired...

arsenal4life

USArsenal said:
it was a stupid correlation about Gazza's drinking compared to praying to a religion.....

i actually think that the times to pray are not as "lenient" as you say (from what I was told in the past, that is)... i used to work with a guy in a car plant who used to stop working at precisely the same time every night, regardless of where the line of production was and got his mat out and prayed... he would not change the time he prayed because he claimed that this was the time to pray....

now, not being a Muslim myself, I dont know if what he said was true or not.... im sure others who ARE Muslim can enlighten me a little... im a little naive about the practices of the Muslim religion....

well, First of all i think it's somthing religious and it's only concerns Kolo
not anyone else

but about the fast in Holy Ramadan obligatory to any person who can do it safely without beeing affected in his health or his job

i.e when some one is ill he must not fast because he may be worse
when a lady is pregnant also she must not fast because this may affect his baby
when someone do a hard work (his job i mean) like a worker in a quarantine or an iron factory, he may not fast

and in all these cases the person who doesn't fast he counts how many days he doesn't fast and fast a replacement days instead of them
in any days he want

about the parying
we have five a day each one has a period to do it in not a certian time
i.e. the first one from 4:30 am to 12:00 pm, the second from 12:00 pm to 3:30 pm ,the third from 3:30 pm to 5:30 pm, the forth from 5:30pm to 7:00 pm and the fifth from 7:00 pm to 4:30 am -taking into consideration that it's favorable to do it as early as you can in its period

in compulsory cases you can also pray it all in one time which you can decide it

Arsenal Quotes

No one could have imagined for a single second that he would come to us. Only David Dein, Sol, his agent, and I knew what was going on. When I called a press conference to announce the arrival of a new player, and Sol Campbell walked into the room full of journalists, it was a bombshell.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom