• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will Robin's Ego & Selfishness Ever Allow Him To Be A Torres

sabret00the

Established Member
After reading his latest interview I raise the question? Would Robin ever be willing to give up as many touches as he likes per game in order to concentrate on scoring goals? In this current system, he's not allowed too much individualism and he's compensated for that by getting little touches and flicks here and there in order to touch the ball as much as possible. But if he could curb that addiction, could he actually be the type of striker that leads the scoring charts and competes for the Golden Boot?

banduan

Established Member
what on earth drives you to make these posts sabre?

How on earth do you derive Ego & Selfishness from what was said there?

With all due respect Sabes, your tabloid posts are just incredulous.

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member
Van Persie doesn't have the physical attributes, that is the pace or the strength to be a Drogba or Torres even if he tried to.

So, he is best off utilizing his technical superiority and play the way he is.

With the amount of goals and assists he has been making, he's about as influential as Drogba and Torres if not more. Of course, we don't know if he can continue this for the whole season or in the big matches too, but, it is kind of pointless for us to expect him to play any differently now.

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
Iloveyouarsenewenger said:
Van Persie doesn't have the physical attributes, that is the pace or the strength to be a Drogba or Torres even if he tried to.

Exactly.

Sabre i don't know what else you want him to do. His touch v Wolves to set up Fabregas should be enough to show the benefits of his role for us. You make it sound as if Robin is sacrificing the teams performance for his own sake - which just isn't the case.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Think there were stats published the other day showing Torres as the only striker more clinical than Robin from the top batch in the PL(Torres, RVP, Drogba and Rooney) in terms of the conversion rate of shots to goals. Don't see Robin as a 30 goal a season striker but Rooney and Drogba certainly aren't either and while I think Torres is, he is having problems with injuries over the last 18 months.

He'll never be as explosive as those players but is equally as important and regardless should get up to 20-25 goals this season looking at the amount we create. In truth he could have double what he has already scored...pretty sure he had 5 chances against Wigan at home, a couple at United aswell.

This should be the season Robin puts himself in the top bracket of strikers, as long as he stays fit.

dave_rwr

Established Member
Wow, you really put a lot of words in his mouth there. Maybe with the exception of you, I think most Arsenal supporters have been incredibly happy with Van Persie's roll in the team. I for one think he is creating that roll as both a striker and a second striker, and it has been working perfectly for our system. If he became a Drogba or a Torres, that wouldn't fit in to our current plans.

Right now he is scoring goals (2 less than Drogba, 3 less than Torres), but just as important for our game, getting assists with his "little touches and flicks" (2 more than Drogba, 6 more than Torres).

I think he is doing exactly what we want him to be doing, and the more he develops into this role, the more he will benefit the team. I say screw Drogba and Torres, become "Van Persie".

fabo

6.51 / 10
8 goals and 8 assists in 14 appearances is a great return considering he was a little slow finding his scoring boots in the opening few weeks.

Screw Drogba. Who the hell is he? 20+ only once in his chelsea career so he is nobody to aspire to. Overrated beyond belief and his link-up play is nothing great.

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
I think the stand out aspect of RvP's season is the visibly improved link up play, demonstrated by his high tally of assists. How you get "ego" and "selfishness" from that... leaves me with a question for you:

"Are you sabret00the in disguise?"

sabret00the

Established Member
Armor for Sleep said:
Iloveyouarsenewenger said:

Exactly.

Sabre i don't know what else you want him to do. His touch v Wolves to set up Fabregas should be enough to show the benefits of his role for us. You make it sound as if Robin is sacrificing the teams performance for his own sake - which just isn't the case.

Don't feed into Banduan's psycho-posting. Robin remains my favourite player and makes me proud. I'm simply posing the question. Robin himself has stated that in order to perform this role, he was forced to give up some of his involvement in the game, I just went off of that, added a bit of his emerging Arsenal form along with a sprinkle of Alan Smith and formulated the above.

14teranga

I know Sabret likes Robin a lot and is not bashing him. I am a bit shocked he did not relish the idea of playing center forward for Holland. I would have loved him to say "c'mon that's what I am born to do..." instead of "I could do a job there if needed"!!!???

I feel RVP has more goals in him that he and many think. Obviously Wenger knows that. He who transforms TH14 into a great goal scorer will get the best of Robin there. I think, if he keeps his central striking role until next year he will become bigger than Torres, bigger than of them but he obviously needs to believe in this position.

raphael_as

Do you mean 'lack of selfishness and ego'? I mean one of the central attributes of a killer striker is tunnel vision when the goal is in sight - this is not a bad thing necessarily, as long as the striker converts those chances at a decent clip (a la Torres).

As mentioned RvP's assist total belies that he has that sort of single-mindedness and as far as I read the article basically says that he realises that, and in fact he doesn't even want to be that sort of striker - his assists are just as important to him as his goals.

What I get from this interview is that the guy has matured from the impulsive player of even 2 seasons ago. Then I think he would have claimed to be the best for the job - now he's at an age now where he understands where he is and what he can do and no longer automatically assumes he's the best fit for any situation - he thinks about things and realises that he's not the best answer for every question.

Taking the example of the Dutch team, he probably could do the job if needed, but that there may be better options available to Marwijk given the way the Dutch play (which is not the same as the way Arsenal play).

Feanor

Established Member
I'm with Raphael on this, all great pure strikers are selfish and have huge egos...RvP is more of a forward than a pure striker, meaning he can create and score goals. He is not single minded and brutal about just scoring. I'm not sure we're going to have a 30-goal scorer on this team given the setup and players, instead we will most likely have multiple players in the 15-20 range is much better in my opinion. The thing is with a great striker is that you become too dependent and if they have a bad spell or game, you're screwed, you don't have that on this team. Every player on the front 5 is equally important to our attacks, you can't just stop one of them and be ok, you need to worry about all 5 all the time. I think this is the main reason Ade had to go.

atmosphere

Feanor said:
The thing is with a great striker is that you become too dependent and if they have a bad spell or game, you're screwed, you don't have that on this team. Every player on the front 5 is equally important to our attacks, you can't just stop one of them and be ok, you need to worry about all 5 all the time. I think this is the main reason Ade had to go.

This.

The bit in bold is why we'll win the league this season IMO.

All the other top teams can be made ineffective by marking one or two players out of the game.

You can't do that with us.

banduan

Established Member
raphael_as said:
Do you mean 'lack of selfishness and ego'?
hmm. That might make more sense. So I guess I'm being a bit harsh when it's perhaps just a language issue.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
So, it should really be something like: "Will Robin's Id and Selflessness Ever Allow Him to be a Torres".

I like the fact that he values assists, it's a good trait in our team/system. There are still occasions where he could be a little more selfish or just shoot, but other than that I like what I see from RvP.

otfgoon

Established Member
Robin has pretty much the perfect balance right now for the team. He's scoring goals and is allowing the likes of Cesc to bang a few in too. I'd rather Robin score 1 or 2 fewer goals if it means the team scoring 6 or 8 more.

The fact that we don't need a Torres/Drogba type player up there is a very good thing.

thegame24

Established Member
Sabre you have officially lost the plot, someone demote him ffs his posts are ridiculous or at least stop him from starting threads

Arsenal Quotes

The English codified the rules of football just as the French perfected wine. We don't often ask an English person to come over to make Bordeaux.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom