• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will Robin's Ego & Selfishness Ever Allow Him To Be A Torres

sabret00the

Established Member
Lord Dula said:
Question is will Torres' ego and selfishness ever allow him to be a robin?
Course not, while Robin is a better more rounded player, he'll never get nominated for a WPOTY in the same way that Torres will though. :(

Wokich

sabret00the said:
Lord Dula said:
Course not, while Robin is a better more rounded player, he'll never get nominated for a WPOTY in the same way that Torres will though. :(
There was a time when people would have said the same about Henry

sammy89

sabret00the said:
Lord Dula said:
Staying under the radar is a key element to our title challenge, methinks.

banduan

Established Member
tbh if you get beyond the silly title and read his post it's not that bad.

you need to change the thread title Saber. Not for the first time, perhaps, but I have no idea why you'd want it that complicated (so complicated it just reads wrong from what you mean).

dbig

The real question for me is - how many more solo goals can Cesc score if he wasn't so addicted to passing and assists? We've seen how he can go past players when he scored the goal against spuds, but how many more would he have scored if he didn't like to pass the ball around and assist other players so much? Should he be more selfish and less selfless in his game play?

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
dbig said:
The real question for me is - how many more solo goals can Cesc score if he wasn't so addicted to passing and assists? We've seen how he can go past players when he scored the goal against spuds, but how many more would he have scored if he didn't like to pass the ball around and assist other players so much? Should he be more selfish and less selfless in his game play?

It comes down to player intelligence at the end of the day. Its not like they pass it for the sake of pretty football, they pass when they feel its the best option. Maybe in the past Cesc has been shot shy but these days nobody is afraid to have a pop.

And this relates to Sabre's question. What Robin does is for the teams benefit, so if he spent all his time on the pitch purely focusing on getting himself on the score-sheet we would lose an edge to our attack. Robin uses his head to pick and choose when he should shoot or pass or drop deep which is much more beneficial to the team than "being a Torres".

dbig

Armor for Sleep said:
dbig said:

It comes down to player intelligence at the end of the day. Its not like they pass it for the sake of pretty football, they pass when they feel its the best option. Maybe in the past Cesc has been shot shy but these days nobody is afraid to have a pop.

I was kidding. :p

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Torres has fored Liverpool too.... ABSOLUTELY NOTHING The question that should be asked by Liverpool fans should be 'will Torres ever have a season like RVP 2009/10 that leads us to silverware?'. To be fair though Torres is brilliant. As somebody has said RVP will never be a torres as he is a very different player.

sabret00the

Established Member
banduan said:
tbh if you get beyond the silly title and read his post it's not that bad.

you need to change the thread title Saber. Not for the first time, perhaps, but I have no idea why you'd want it that complicated (so complicated it just reads wrong from what you mean).
Seriously speaking, if you're an idiot that reads thread titles and jumps in a huff before reading the post/article, that's your problem not mine. Have a good day!

Viking

The thread title is a vital part of the post, and branding Robin as both having a large ego, and being a selfish player is idiotic - of course it's gonna make people jump all over this ****ty topic.

flobaba

truth_hurts said:
..As somebody has said RVP will never be a torres as he is a very different player.

That somebody was Robin himself I believe. Fact is, we all know his strengths, and are quite aware of his weaknesses. For a long time, his selfishness and individualistic tendencies were detrimental to his game. He was a much more explosive player then, and would score some really incredible goals. But now, it seems with his maturity has come some element of selflessness and control. He still has moments of brilliance though, even in this 'shadowstriker' mode- the smooth layoff to Fabregas against Wolves being a case in point.
If he maintains his form and fitness, and helps the club win trophies, his contributions will be recognized and he'll definitely find his way to the very top eventually. Just like Xavi.

sabret00the

Established Member
Viking said:
The thread title is a vital part of the post, and branding Robin as both having a large ego, and being a selfish player is provocative - of course it's gonna make stupid people jump all over this topic.

FTFY!

If people want to discuss headlines, stick to twitter, forums are for the discussion of full articles in lengthy intelligent format. my personal view is that Robin is nearing the form (conceptually speaking) of the perfect striker, the balance is just slightly off at the moment. 20% more onus on scoring and he'll have it. I've still not given up on seeing goals like that of Sunderland and Blackburn. Those goals for me are the pinnacle of Arsenal football thus far from Robin.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Personally, I don't think the opening post makes the title or your view(s) any clearer Sabre. Sorry. I tried, but it's just not all that obvious what you're driving at - words have meaning after all.

dbig

Yup, I think the post is about whether Robin wants to take extra touches on the ball instead of just going for goal, and if that makes him less likely than Torres to score goals.

Don't know if that makes him egoistical or selfish, though. Most people would define a selfish striker as one who goes for goal even with better placed team mates. This post is trying to define Robin as selfish for trying to get more touches on the ball, which I'm not sure is even true, because he's addicted to it.

sabret00the

Established Member
AnthonyG said:
Personally, I don't think the opening post makes the title or your view(s) any clearer Sabre. Sorry. I tried, but it's just not all that obvious what you're driving at - words have meaning after all.
i posed a question independent of my thoughts. as i implied just above, anyone that's unable to read a question and answer is without getting emotionally attached to the poster of the initial question, has the problem, not me. i never once tried to put my view across in the opening post. why this appears to be such a novel idea is beyond me.

Gooner_Stu

Established Member
Invincible said:
The question should read: Will Robin's lack of ego and selfishness ever allow him to be a Torres?

This was what i was thinking. But infairness, he's getting greedier for goals. And if he keeps scoring he can stay that way, as long as he knows when its better to pass or to shoot and not the wrong choice.

alboots101

Established Member
why the **** would you want him to be like Torres...just buy Torres.

RvP...top man, more to his game than the scouser ffs.

Arsenal Quotes

We live a society where everybody knows everything and it looks like it is a shame to say I don’t know

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom