• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will Sol, RVP and Cole mess up the flow?

gunner_down_under

Flamini's been good, although he's no Cole, he has been quite solid defensively and good going forward to, he created that goal for Cesc against Fulham isnt it?

wonder if wenger will play him in midfield when cole's back, because it will be very hard on him to be dropped after playing his heart out in a position unknown to him!

Liberace

no, gilberto has been playing excellent lately. Back to his best in fact, he intercepted liverpool's play so many times.

calvinngai88

guessed it had been quite sum times (almost a year!) since i last posted in this forum! :p

But after looking at all the comments you guys have made, I'm kind of bemused. Firstly, I admit Cole in definitely the best, if not at least one of the best left-backs in the world but wait.. he has to get some matches under his belt before he does return for us at LB, maybe like some substitution for Flamini or something. Flamini has done a great job in slotting every position that Wenger has NO alternatives like at RB and now LB when almost the whole of our 1st team defence went missing through injuries or even the African Nations Cup. Though he hasn't been convincing enough as compared to Cole but at least I guess he has done a much more better job than Cygan or Larsson and as seen from yesterday's Liverpool game, Flamini has improved in his attacking runs (at least he has been doing all the overlapping runs but no one passed to him) and there he hoes, running back again when Arsenal lost the ball and Liverpool went pumping long balls to Gerrard who has been bombarding both our flanks (Eboue is magnificent and I reckon Lauren should stay behind him :D ). But where was Pires who should be covering for Flamini? In the 2 games against Real Madrid, Ljungberg has been the 'warrior'-work, a new role he has taken up, but sad to see him coming off after only 13min. But what has Pires done? He was drifted more to the centre and even at times when Flamini was dribbling and Pires just stood in front of him and some hesitation, there goes the ball to the Liverpool players. Even Reyes tracked back often to cover up Flamini when Beckham is unleashing his trademark crosses.

Flamini should be given full credit for his hard work and not being criticised for not being as good or even better than Cole. Of course how can a supposedly make-shift player who was bought to fill in MC positions be as good as a somewhat natural LB like Cole (though he was formerly a striker!). And in terms of emergency cases like this, Flamini, without a whine or complaint, took up the responsibilities and do whatever he can. You can judge by looking at his tackles, attempting to run up and down with his tireless stamina.

As for Senderos, he's getting better and better each game and he seems to gel with Toure for now. I admit he does lose out to physically-built strikers like Drogba but look, at such a young age, he's already a regular CB for Switzerland and even represented as a captain for his country and he's only 20! Campbell has vast experience and that's why he's kind of good (if not what for Wenger wants him for?!) However is he proven yet to be back to his best or is he still struggling? We do not know. We'll have to see. The loss of pace affects Campbell tremendously, though his headers are still as good.

As for RVP, I guess I do not have to say much. He's definitely underrated and I'm sure he can do much more than he has done when he was not injured (his FKs/penalties/shots). Adebayor is still settling down although he has already scored 2 goals for Arsenal but in terms of passing and being a team player, he's not up for it yet. He needs time. RVP will be the ideal partner for Henry now, while Henry can play at his wide-left flank and cutting in, RVP cuts in from the right, with his splendid left foot, most of his shots are on target too! :)

I rate Senderos, RVP and Eboue. As for Campbell and Cole, we'll have to give them some matches first.

wana_3k

hmm.. its a hard one..i know RVP can fit in easily instead of ade and we need cole instead of flamini even tho flamini has been playin awesome lately.. but i think sol needs bout 3 or 4 reserve games before he comes back

adjie

Legend#1 said:
Whoever said Senderos was shaky today, needs to get off the bandwagon, he was very solid.

Legend, you might check the Garcia goal replay.
http://latestgoals.net/detail.php?id=1560&league=23

I agree that Senderos was quite briliant in last few performances.

However I saw he still made (only) 1-2 critical error per game.
This is not much compare to his average success in overall defense.
But still in a very crucial moment we might wish that he didn't make
such error (remember Drogba's typical goal ?)

Yet i believe his time will come to make permanent line-up in near future.
With Sol continue to suffer "decline mode syndrome), perhaps
it will be less than 1 year ahead ? But to complete this season,
I think Arsène will use his preferred partner (Kolo and Sol).

Cheers mate ... :D

Note : In this goal clearly he lost Garcia prior to the goal.

Tegh

Established Member
Flamini has done really well at left back, but there's no chance he's going to nick it from Cole. Cole gives us so many options in attack, he's got great stamina and motors up and down that left flank without a care in the world. His link up play with Pires two seasons ago was one of the factors that made our attack so strong.

I can't wait to have him back so he and Reyes, two pacey left sided players, can form a partnership of their own. Hleb and Eboue are starting to forge one, and the future is looking bright.

As for Sol, I don't know any more. We're doing alright without him, but we might need him for the Juventus game. RVP won't mess anything up, he's exactly the guy we need to start putting away the millions of chances we're creating. It will be interesting to see how Ade reacts to being dropped once RVP regains full fitness.

Guillermo

Tegh said:
Flamini has done really well at left back, but there's no chance he's going to nick it from Cole. Cole gives us so many options in attack, he's got great stamina and motors up and down that left flank without a care in the world. His link up play with Pires two seasons ago was one of the factors that made our attack so strong.

I can't wait to have him back so he and Reyes, two pacey left sided players, can form a partnership of their own. Hleb and Eboue are starting to forge one, and the future is looking bright.
Exactly. Flamini has been great cover at that left-back position, but understandably no match for Cole in the attacking department.

Our left-side has looked a shadow of it's former self since Cole was struck by injury. Flamini looked more comfortable yesterday, but he doesn't provide as many of those surging runs when Henry holds the ball up at the edge of the area.

sabret00the

Established Member
adjie said:
Legend#1 said:
Whoever said Senderos was shaky today, needs to get off the bandwagon, he was very solid.

Legend, you might check the Garcia goal replay.
http://latestgoals.net/detail.php?id=1560&league=23

I agree that Senderos was quite briliant in last few performances.

However I saw he still made (only) 1-2 critical error per game.
This is not much compare to his average success in overall defense.
But still in a very crucial moment we might wish that he didn't make
such error (remember Drogba's typical goal ?)

Yet i believe his time will come to make permanent line-up in near future.
With Sol continue to suffer "decline mode syndrome), perhaps
it will be less than 1 year ahead ? But to complete this season,
I think Arsène will use his preferred partner (Kolo and Sol).

Cheers mate ... :D

Note : In this goal clearly he lost Garcia prior to the goal.
i'm happy to see that people are actually recognising the work that Phil's putting in, he's unbeatable in the air for us and that's how so many teams try to beat us, he's made a huge difference back there and is improving.

Captain

Established Member
I think Flamini was more at fault for the goal actually, Garcia goes on Phil's blind side and Flam should have spotted the danger. 80% Flam, 20% Phil.

zerofeel

Reckon once Cole is back and matchfit,he will take back that spot of his because he is the genuine leftback who knows how to defend and go forward without compromising his position.Flamini has done so well and improved on his instincts but clearly that position isnt made for him.Positioning wise,he has a long way to go for a defender.

Sol,theres no way he will not totally regain his status as a regular unless he overcomes his mental illness or whatever crisis thats haunting him.Senderos is doing well and improving all the time and his understanding with Toure is excellent.To break that apart will only cause more instability.

Rvp should be given more chance to partner Henry because lets face it,his finishing is way better than Ade's.At this point of time,every chances we get to score is vital,we cannot afford to keep missing it like Ade did.

Ratinho

Established Member
Yes, having a great natural left back return, a fantastic forward, and what will be now our backup centre back will completely f**k our flow. It won't further improve the confidence of Reyes having Cole back, and it won't give us yet another forward option having RvP back, and it won't give us a little security (assuming he's got himself fit) having a good CB on the bench.

It's the last straw this, i'm sending RtC into to this thread to whoop some ass.

non flying dutchman

Down the left we're missing so much when cole isn't playing, flamini got forward a few times but just doesn't have the instincts that cole has, him and henry are such a threat down that side.

Van Persie definately won't hurt things, as adebayor still is a few months off the pace, needs to get used to the way we play a bit more, I actually spoke to van persie before the game and he said there was a chance he might of played yesterday, but wenger wanted to leave it a week and give him a game midweek, so expect him to start against charlton.

Like a few people have said, phil has done a sterling job in sols absence, but he makes at least one big mistake a game, and it could of been costly if liverpool had any good strikers, I just hope sols sorted all his problems out, but i'm sure wenger won't risk him if he doesn't look right.

Captain

Established Member

Cruisio

Established Member
To be honest, aslong as we're winning and defending well (which we have done for the past 6 games) I wouldn't change the defense at all. A change of personnel does take a while for the players to get used to and even if Cole is world class, Flamini, imo, has been immense in the past few games. And no, not because he's a player playing out of position, he HAS been immense there, keeping the likes of Beckham and Gerrard fairly quiet. I don't know what games some of you guys have been watching but from the stands at Highbury he's ironed out alot of mistakes in his game. I used to dislike Flamini as he just didn't seem to do anything, but now i'm warming to him. If it isn't broke, especially in such a vital area as our defence, the dont fix it. Let Cole work for his place back in the team

Also, I still reckon Cole will go in the summer. If we can get about £15m for him then I say bye bye Mr. Cole.

The only player I would bring back is RvP. Adebayor has impressed me so far from what i've seen. He works hard and holds up the ball well. He'll get more consistant the more games he plays and hopefully his finishing will improve. RvP on the other hand has proved what he can do for us

ebhenry

hmmn. its a dilema for wenger but i am rest assured he will make the right decision. he would probably ease them back gradually. rvp will definately challenge adebayor for a place in the premeirship. henry will always be in the team, we all know why!!!!!
my worry is in europe where we play 4-5-1 at times. chopping and changing here we come!!!!!!i wonder how he would placate flamini, the boy has worked so hard and has never complained.

Arsenal Quotes

I am not scared to spend money. If you go out with me one night, you will understand that.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom