• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will the signing of more youngsters hinder our current ones?

Alfonso

Established Member
Wenger recentely stated that he finds it addictive signing so many young players from around the world, as he has chance to develop them into the next big thing, which can be very rewarding for both manager and club. However, do you think we are getting into a postion that we are signing too many youngsters to an extent that it is uneccessary? Is there only so many quality youngsters you can have at a club?

A pretty werid question you may say, as how can a club have too many talented youngsters? However, i feel we are getting to a stage where we should draw the line somewhere, and let our current youngsters develop and evolve as footballers, instead of them having to look over their shoulders every two minutes to see the 'next this or that' arrive. Moreover, I feel looking throughout our squad(reserves and under 18's included) that we have a wealth of talent in every position.

Of course, you can argue, and say the more talented youngsters a club sign, due to law of averages, one of those players will end up being world class by the age of say 24. But as we all know, for every Cesc, there will be a David Bentely or Jermaine Pennant.

Furthermore, i feel that it is good for a large group of young players to be settled as well, i.e have a strong community amongst themselves, that will not only help them but help Arsenal in the long term(recent examples include Senderoes and Cesc). The Man Utd class of 1992(Beckham and co) is another example. Would the signing of too many youngsters break this strong bond our current youngsters have? Much like what is happeing at West Ham at the moment, i.e the Argies.

Moreover, im worried that the signing of so many new young players is somehow not good for the morale of our current crop of youngsters. I know it is a dog eat dog world, and this applies even more so in football, but surely it would unresorucefull for us to spend so much time and moeny on our current youngsters only for us to sign players in similar positions with similar abilities( e.g whats the difference between Song and Denislon?). Yes, one could argue, this seprates the boys from the men, but when players are young they are vulnerable and need extra support, espeically considering we have a high number of overseas players, who have difficulties adapting to unfamilar surroundings, i.e a different culture.

Also, without question, i think we have more players(from first team to reserves/under 18's) than required. And there are not enough games in the reserves and Carling Cup for all of them to be satisfied.

The question of will we turn down the 'new maradona' just because we have too many youngsters arises. But we will only know if they are the 'new maradona' or not if we train them and develop them over years anyway, because however rated a youngster is at 16 there is no gurantee they will be world class in the future. The downside is at a cost of another young player. So, i guess it comes down to how much opportunity cost we want to employ. But are we really doing trial and error untill we have a 'perfect' set of youngsters?

Discuss.

Alfonso

Established Member
On the other hand, at least were not AC Milan eh? Have a team full of veterans!

patrick42uk

Established Member
i was under the impression that fans liked signing as many good youngsters as possible. especially with the 'over the hill at 25' belief.

on a serious note, i think you answered your own question. not everyone will make it. the only way you make the youth policy a success is through a law of large numbers. because for clichy, senderos, djourou or fabregas theres a larsson, muamba, aliadiere or pennant. dont get me wrong, everyone we get has talent to a degree. but to have all the combination of factors to go with the talent, along with progressing on a year to year basis. only a few get all the boxes ticked in order to be deemed capable of playing at our level.

true, we have already lost good young talent in Quincey and Nicklas Bendtner has said he wants to play first team football but there is just no room for him right now i hope we don't loose him as well.
it's the same as havin too many world class players. sooner or later the will want to leave.

go49oner

Established Member
if signing someone like Fabregas and hindering the likes of David Bentley's development then am all for it.

YuenBiaoFan

Established Member
Comp

e

tition.

Comp-e-tition.

Competition.

Cherr

y

pick.

Cherr-y-pick.

Cherrypick.

Why do people look for nonexistant problems?

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
You can never have too much talent coming through.

The more and better the talent is the more competition there is so those that actually push through are at a higher level than they would be otherwise.

Many will fail, that's life.

Problem? You've got to be joking!

Linson

Re: Will the signing of more youngsters hinder our current o

Alfonso said:
The Man Utd class of 1992(Beckham and co) is another example. Would the signing of too many youngsters break this strong bond our current youngsters have? Much like what is happeing at West Ham at the moment, i.e the Argies.
Thats a very interesting point to make and one I believe that many people, including myself, will not have thought about. Perhaps this is Wengers philosophy - I heard once somewhere that his dream was to bring about a whole squad from his youth teams into the 1st team.
Good work Alfonso.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Yeah it can never be too much, the plaeyrs jsut have to push themselves harder to get a shot.

And I also feel that even if we have signed many attacking players and less defending oens Wenger may well end up converting some of the youngsters, after all attacking plaeyrs are easier to spot because they can shine more then defenders while being scouted, and often for youth teams the best players are in midfield to have the most influence. And Wenger wants defenders who can play wengerball so he looks for attacking skills, positioning and such because it is easier to learn defending while Ronaldinho-esque qualities must come from within

Alfonso

Established Member
Ok lets take Lupoli as an example. We signed him 2/3 years ago from Parma. He has been in our reserves for a long time, with the odd few Carling Cup and FA Cup appearances. Obvioulsy Wenger and his coaching staff have invested a lot of time in him, and beleive in his ability, otherwise he would be shipped out of the club by now. Now, we sign a similar youngster in Rui Fonte. What is the significance of this? Does he replace the Lupoli of two years ago if you know what i mean, or his he actually competing with Lupoli now?

Should we invest such time in youngsters if they are likely to be replaced 18 months down the line?

wengerboy

Established Member
its great, young players from all over the world learning and teaching each other. e.g rui fonte will be learning things from english forward which in the end will give him an advantage over other porko players.

I also thin that wenger enjoys developing players, and even if the player dont make it at arsenal then they will make it else where. And if they do make it at arsenal then it will only encourage other young player to join arsenal.

Gryphon

good idea for a topic but i dont mind the fact that we have too many youngsters simply because we have a manager who knows what to do with them, plus this shows the years that wenger whats to countinue to spend with us
talent is not enough to make you a superstar it is the grit, determination, will and trust that one developes as he/she goes along

GUNNERS4L1FE

Established Member
Theres nothing wrong with competition If there is a youngster elsewhere that is better why shouldnt we buy him, just because we already have someone in his position doesnt mean that we shouldnt buy someone else that is potentially better. If there good enough they stay, if there not they go ......Thats Football!

Alfonso

Established Member
Re: Will the signing of more youngsters hinder our current o

Linson said:
Alfonso said:
The Man Utd class of 1992(Beckham and co) is another example. Would the signing of too many youngsters break this strong bond our current youngsters have? Much like what is happeing at West Ham at the moment, i.e the Argies.
Thats a very interesting point to make and one I believe that many people, including myself, will not have thought about. Perhaps this is Wengers philosophy - I heard once somewhere that his dream was to bring about a whole squad from his youth teams into the 1st team.
Good work Alfonso.

Exactly. I am a firm believer in the evoloution of a settled group of youngsters,i.e building on the group, enabling a strong bond to be formed, which will be benefical for the future of the club and the players. Another great example, is the Ajax side of the mid-90ties(E.G Davids, Seedorf, Klivert, etc). They were all at Ajax at 13/14 and grew up together, which climated in them winning the 1995 Champions League.

Chopping and changing youngsters can effectively break a potential strong bond withing the group of youngsters. Remember, its not only football education that they will share, but life as well. Another example is the French system of the 90ties, which developed players such as Henry, Gallas, Anelka, Saha, etc which enabled France to have a very strong national team which has won honours on the way. Of course you cannot compare national teams to clubs, but nontheless its a good example of the advantages of having a settled group of youngsters for a long period of time.

Alfonso

Established Member
GUNNERS4L1FE said:
Theres nothing wrong with competition If there is a youngster elsewhere that is better why shouldnt we buy him, just because we already have someone in his position doesnt mean that we shouldnt buy someone else that is potentially better. If there good enough they stay, if there not they go ......Thats Football!

But what if the difference is marginal? The difference between the youngsters we sign is not that much imo, as Wenger has high standards in the first place. Now, for sake of argument lets say Rui Fonte is actually more talented than Lupoli, but this doesnt mean he will be a greater success at Arsenal, as Lupoli has been here for a number of years, and knows the Arsenal way. So, however talented Fonte is, it will take him a long time to learn and adapt to the Wenger way, i.e Wengerball.

stuart

Established Member
i do tend to get a bit fed up with this buying for the future every year but i think its important to have young talent coming through because as we have seen this year it does all pay off once they gain some vital experience!

jester

Established Member
i dont see the problem at all. surely if we have loads of major talent in the reserves, with some coming through and some not, due to the high numbers, then only the really good ones will make it.
If the others dont, due to the high numbers, then it doesnt matter - we're a club after decent players, we're not trying to give every player a career out of the goodness of our hearts.
The idea of only signing a certain amount of players so that we dont put better players in their way is a crazy idea.
The higher numbers of youth we have, the higher chance one will make it. If that player does make it he must be even better

JazzG

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
on a serious note, i think you answered your own question. not everyone will make it. the only way you make the youth policy a success is through a law of large numbers. because for clichy, senderos, djourou or fabregas theres a larsson, muamba, aliadiere or pennant. dont get me wrong, everyone we get has talent to a degree. but to have all the combination of factors to go with the talent, along with progressing on a year to year basis. only a few get all the boxes ticked in order to be deemed capable of playing at our level.

Spot on there, in recent years there have been many youngsters who have been nailed on to make it by the fans here only to fall terribly short. We will never be in a position like Chelsea to buy all the top players so we gotta do it another way and I think this way Wenger can mould players into what he likes whereas a 28 year old isn't really gonna change his game much.

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Alfonso - it's all very well talking about those particular Ajax players that had come through from the youth team together, but what of all the ones that they played alongside that failed? Ajax have one of the highest intakes of young players around.

Also, you talk about a marginal difference between players. I don't care if the difference is paper thin, we want the better one.

In 1990 we sold John Lukic, and there was uproar amongst the fans (myself included) that he was replaced by Seaman. I remember at the time George Graham said that whilst there was little to choose between the two he wanted ther better one at Highbury.

Arsenal Quotes

There's a minute on the clock left for Arenal. Brady for Arsenal.... right across, Sunderland... IT'S THERE! I do not believe it, I SWEAR I do not believe it!

Peter Jones on the goal against United in the 79 cup final
Top Bottom