• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will the signing of more youngsters hinder our current ones?

Gunner4life09

There are two sides of the coin on this issue.

If the new youngsters we sign are better than the youngsters that we have in there resepetive positions then obviously this will hamper their progress.

However this will make both the new and old youngsters work harder to fit to be next in line so we benefit as a club both ways.

jester

Established Member
Alfonso said:
If this was any other walk of life, i.e the office, will still be deemed as acceptable?

this isnt any other walk of life, which is why talk of 'age discrimination' when players over 30 are only offered 1yr deals will be laughed off in court if the legislation goes through.
Tell me where in the office young people aged anywhere around 15 are hired and trained for 3 years before becoming professional fulltimers on a proper contract? Although, if there is one person doing a job, and another that is better who is available, it does happen that they hire the other person aswell. And if the original isnt good enough to keep his spot? the company doesnt care, they just got better.

Alfonso said:
If this was any other walk of life, i.e the office, will still be deemed as acceptable?

Of course it would be acceptable. It happens everyday in life, in the office and at school. You're programed in life to compete with one another and the last one standing wins. I don't know if you went to university or not but nobody cares if you fail. To them you're just a student id number and if you don't meet their expectations you're cut. This society will always promote the strong to survive and if there's people with potential that fall through the cracks well that's just unfortunate.

Will there be a chance that we may give hinder the progress of a player from reaching their full potential? We very well may however it's because of the stress put on these players that they are able to grow. Ajax is able to add so many youth players onto their starting line up with so much ease because they play their players against ones that are 2-3 years older than them. They are forced to adapt to the pace and physical demands of the real game. We will probably ruin the careers of quite a few players but that's a risk these kids take in order to reach greatness.

daniel

You can never sign too many youngsters (14-16 years old), having many of them only encourages them to work harder cause there is more competition... A the end, the more young talent you have, there is more chance some of them will shine and get to the big stage...

patrick42uk

Established Member
lets not think for one second that those who dont make it here are getting a raw deal. the experience of being at arsenal and training with our players and facilities is something very impressive to have on your cv. these players can attract fairly decent clubs, even if their first team experience doesnt warrant it, mainly because of being educated at arsenal.

F_Henry

Gooner_8ca said:
F_Henry said:
I for one am very happy someone decided to make this thread. And i completely Agree with you. We are a world- class team not a youth factory. I believe we should settle on a line-up of youngsters that we already have and develope them as much as we can.

Maybe Muamba, Bentley and the rest of the "failures" did not even get a chance because Cesc, Flamini and RvP were brought in. Is that totally there fault? If Arsenal FC had given them more of a chance mayb they would of been greater than the players we have now, who knows?

If you look at teams the youth bonding system that many teams like;

France: Henry, Trezeguet, Vieira, Gallas, Silvestre
Man.U: Beackham, Keane, Giggs, Neville etc.
Ajax: Kluivert, Seedorf, Davids, Van der Sar, Kanu and Overmars
Milan: Pirlo, Gattuso, Nesta.

I kno i'm getting carried away , but for example look at how many attackers we have in our reserves-Walcott-Vela-Elston- van den Berg- Merida- Barazite- Gibbs- Landsbury- Rui Fonte- Lupoli- Bendtner

and lets not forget everyone ahead of them- Henry( will never be benched no matter how old he is), RvP, Adebayor, Ljunberg,Baptista, Hleb, Rosicky, Cesc and now Ribery?

The only reason Wenger started scouting yougsters is because once they moved to the new stadium- they won't have much money to spend on transfers. BUT, they have more money than they expected, So I think it's about time we stopped scouting youngsters but only players between 21- 27 ( or even older if very talented i.e Gallas) Our youngsters will not be happy if they think they are going to be replaced.

As far as I'm concerned, the people who think that by being a world class team you only sign big name players is extremely short sighted. If you look at any sport they require a good academy to do well. If you look at baseball the oakland A's and Minnesota Twins come up with tons of good pitching prospects so they can compete every year. Examples would be Rich harden, Barry zito, and Lirano. The New York mets decided to finally develop some players and now jose reyes and david wright may possible take this team to the world series. In hockey you see the colorado avalanche develop players like Joe sakic, Mats Sundin, and Milan heijduk. And even in football there's Manchester who developed an incredible crop of players and managed to keep them high in the standings. Moreover, you can never have enough youth players because there may be 3-4 seasons where every youth player you purchase may not work out. You gotta get as many as possible to weather this storm if and when it happens. Wenger has made this team into a big club because of his philospophy. He turned a very defensive club into a club that plays attractive football. The players that develop from this club are just the fruitations of Wenger's work. In the long run many of them will not really be that important because they will eventually be replaced and new players will have to set the standard for the club. I find it surprising that people don't realize that if we have a lot good young players that play for us and have impressed other clubs we can still sell them as a profit and basically make up the expenses we had bringing in these youth players. A good exmaple that we've already seen is Anelka.

People may have this liberal view that it doesn't seem right to be hurting other player's feelings, well to be honest this is the price you pay if you want to make a living off of football. If somebody wants to truly embrace the game that person should be playing for free because just playing the game should be rewarding in itself. Nobody who's being paid for playing something they enjoy should have the right to complain.

First of all, We are a Football Club, our developing system is different from the MLB or NHL.

Why would we develop young players just to sell them? That's just stupid, imo. We usually sell them early for cheap because they can't make it far with us- We are not Bari or Southampton where we sell youngsters so that we stay out of financial trouble!

And how is buying world- class players short-sighted? In the past season we bought Gallas, Rosicky, Hleb, Adebayor, Baptista- I don't think taht's being short-sighted because they fit well in our squad. Believe it or not- Arsenal doesn't produce the best youngsters, yet. And therefore we will have to buy younger players like we did with Flamini, Senderos, RvP, Reyes, who came in around the age of 18-20 and already made their names known. Now you expect Rui Fonte, Vela, Barazite etc. to have an easy time getting into the first team when Arsenal buy another 20 year old? NO!, because sooner or later there's going to an outstanding player Wenger can't refuse to give up and the youngsters will basically be a waste.

For example if we get Nani from Sporting Lisbon or Ogbuke from Lyn Oslo or even Naismith from that Scottish team- what's going to happen Vela, Rui Fonte, Barazite or even Merida? I like the players we have, I don't want them gone because a random player has come in, and they don't get a chance like we saw with Quincy and now Bendtner.

morpho

Established Member
I realy cant see a problem having too much competition, both in a group of youngsters and veterans. The club is, as we all know, always bigger than any player, so if someone wont play because there is a more talented player ahead of you, well... though luck... try harder or pack your bag...

Alfonso

Established Member
F_Henry said:
First of all, We are a Football Club, our developing system is different from the MLB or NHL.

Why would we develop young players just to sell them? That's just stupid, imo. We usually sell them early for cheap because they can't make it far with us- We are not Bari or Southampton where we sell youngsters so that we stay out of financial trouble!

And how is buying world- class players short-sighted? In the past season we bought Gallas, Rosicky, Hleb, Adebayor, Baptista- I don't think taht's being short-sighted because they fit well in our squad. Believe it or not- Arsenal doesn't produce the best youngsters, yet. And therefore we will have to buy younger players like we did with Flamini, Senderos, RvP, Reyes, who came in around the age of 18-20 and already made their names known. Now you expect Rui Fonte, Vela, Barazite etc. to have an easy time getting into the first team when Arsenal buy another 20 year old? NO!, because sooner or later there's going to an outstanding player Wenger can't refuse to give up and the youngsters will basically be a waste.

For example if we get Nani from Sporting Lisbon or Ogbuke from Lyn Oslo or even Naismith from that Scottish team- what's going to happen Vela, Rui Fonte, Barazite or even Merida? I like the players we have, I don't want them gone because a random player has come in, and they don't get a chance like we saw with Quincy and now Bendtner.

Spot on.

Jaded

Its not just our club, here in Spain, same trend, Barcelona alone has 100+ youngster playing at their La Masia academy (literally from all across the globe, Israel, Spain, Brasil, Venezuela, Peru), Real Madrid, even the small club like Mallorca has wealth of young talents. Heck, even Bilbao who only allowed to acquire players (including youngster) only from the Basque region, and they have the best young talent in all Spain.
Of all 100 players, they will 2-3 players who stood out among the crowd, the gem. And I don't see no point of blocking new young players coming to our club. We might hit a jackpot just like we did with Cesc.
They can't cut it, then boo hoo, find yourself other club to ply your trade.

F_Henry said:
Gooner_8ca said:
F_Henry said:
I for one am very happy someone decided to make this thread. And i completely Agree with you. We are a world- class team not a youth factory. I believe we should settle on a line-up of youngsters that we already have and develope them as much as we can.

Maybe Muamba, Bentley and the rest of the "failures" did not even get a chance because Cesc, Flamini and RvP were brought in. Is that totally there fault? If Arsenal FC had given them more of a chance mayb they would of been greater than the players we have now, who knows?

I kno i'm getting carried away , but for example look at how many attackers we have in our reserves-Walcott-Vela-Elston- van den Berg- Merida- Barazite- Gibbs- Landsbury- Rui Fonte- Lupoli- Bendtner

and lets not forget everyone ahead of them- Henry( will never be benched no matter how old he is), RvP, Adebayor, Ljunberg,Baptista, Hleb, Rosicky, Cesc and now Ribery?

The only reason Wenger started scouting yougsters is because once they moved to the new stadium- they won't have much money to spend on transfers. BUT, they have more money than they expected, So I think it's about time we stopped scouting youngsters but only players between 21- 27 ( or even older if very talented i.e Gallas) Our youngsters will not be happy if they think they are going to be replaced.

As far as I'm concerned, the people who think that by being a world class team you only sign big name players is extremely short sighted. If you look at any sport they require a good academy to do well. If you look at baseball the oakland A's and Minnesota Twins come up with tons of good pitching prospects so they can compete every year. Examples would be Rich harden, Barry zito, and Lirano. The New York mets decided to finally develop some players and now jose reyes and david wright may possible take this team to the world series. In hockey you see the colorado avalanche develop players like Joe sakic, Mats Sundin, and Milan heijduk. And even in football there's Manchester who developed an incredible crop of players and managed to keep them high in the standings. Moreover, you can never have enough youth players because there may be 3-4 seasons where every youth player you purchase may not work out. You gotta get as many as possible to weather this storm if and when it happens. Wenger has made this team into a big club because of his philospophy. He turned a very defensive club into a club that plays attractive football. The players that develop from this club are just the fruitations of Wenger's work. In the long run many of them will not really be that important because they will eventually be replaced and new players will have to set the standard for the club. I find it surprising that people don't realize that if we have a lot good young players that play for us and have impressed other clubs we can still sell them as a profit and basically make up the expenses we had bringing in these youth players. A good exmaple that we've already seen is Anelka.

People may have this liberal view that it doesn't seem right to be hurting other player's feelings, well to be honest this is the price you pay if you want to make a living off of football. If somebody wants to truly embrace the game that person should be playing for free because just playing the game should be rewarding in itself. Nobody who's being paid for playing something they enjoy should have the right to complain.

We sell the players because there's a possibility you do not have enough room on the first team or else they want to leave because they don't want to play reserves. And furthermore why would you turn down money? This isn't a charity here, if somebody offers 15 million pounds for the youth player who may not get a chance at the club you sell him to maximize your resources. The NHL and MLB are relevant because their system is very extremely close to football and perhaps even more sophisticated. NHL has devlopmental leagues such as the AHL, WHL, and other junior leagues to develop their youth players. Also MLB has Single A and double A teams owned by parent clubs to develop their youth much like the academies they set up for football. Secondly I said you don't become a world class team by "ONLY buying" big name players. I never said that I didn't want them, you assumed that I wanted a team fielded completely by youth players. I completely agree with Wenger when he says that he'll buy the players that will fit the club regardless of name or where they're from. Lastly, if you if you look carefully Wenger hasn't been buying that many 20 year olds. A lot of the purchases have been 16-17 year olds in the hopes that he can implement them every 3-4 years. If you want to attack me I suggest you read more carefully

I dont think wengers signing of young players will effect the sqaud in any way.
wengers ability to spot and develop talent is excellent and so i dont mind him signing youngsters especially between the age groups of 16-18 as they hardly cost much. Plus he's building a team for the future and saving money while doing this, so we can buy bigger names. Remember we're not chelsea and cant scoop any player we want.

The only problem i have with so much young talent is that they must be a little patient unlike Mr. Bendter who doesnt want to come back unless he's playing or on the bench. To players like these i would say:

"wake up and have a look around you. Fabregas is 19 and he's a first team player coz he's good and i mean damn good, so you should respect the managers decision and keep your trap shut."

:x

wengers ability to spot and develop talent is excellent and so i dont mind him signing youngsters especially between the age groups of 16-18 as they hardly cost much. Plus he's building a team for the future and saving money while doing this, so we can buy bigger names. Remember we're not chelsea and cant scoop any player we want.

The only problem i have with so much young talent is that they must be a little patient unlike Mr. Bendter who doesnt want to come back unless he's playing or on the bench. To players like these i would say:

"wake up and have a look around you. Fabregas is 19 and he's a first team player coz he's good and i mean damn good, so you should respect the managers decision and keep your trap shut."

killasback_88 said:

I totally agree with you and I think you bring up the most crucial point. The impatience and perhaps arrogance of some youth players may cause the most strain on the system. I don't take kindly to the threats he's made either but that's kind of the risk you take when some kids develop faster than what you have planned. I still think mentally he's very far away especially after those types of comments. Hopefully he'll really grow up soon.

F_Henry

Gooner_8ca said:
F_Henry said:
Gooner_8ca said:
F_Henry said:

We sell the players because there's a possibility you do not have enough room on the first team or else they want to leave because they don't want to play reserves. And furthermore why would you turn down money? This isn't a charity here, if somebody offers 15 million pounds for the youth player who may not get a chance at the club you sell him to maximize your resources. The NHL and MLB are relevant because their system is very extremely close to football and perhaps even more sophisticated. NHL has devlopmental leagues such as the AHL, WHL, and other junior leagues to develop their youth players. Also MLB has Single A and double A teams owned by parent clubs to develop their youth much like the academies they set up for football. Secondly I said you don't become a world class team by "ONLY buying" big name players. I never said that I didn't want them, you assumed that I wanted a team fielded completely by youth players. I completely agree with Wenger when he says that he'll buy the players that will fit the club regardless of name or where they're from. Lastly, if you if you look carefully Wenger hasn't been buying that many 20 year olds. A lot of the purchases have been 16-17 year olds in the hopes that he can implement them every 3-4 years. If you want to attack me I suggest you read more carefully

He hasn't been getting 20 year olds? So Diaby, Adebayor and O' Ceaurill don't count?

How can he implement 16-17 year olds in 3-4? If our squad will have no room for any youngsters coming in? I guarantee you Ribery will be coming to Arsenal in the summer, or even January, whre are we going to put the 16-17 year old players??

----------------------New GK or Butcher-----------------------

Eboue-------Toure-------Senderos------Clichy/Traore/ or mayb buy 1

------Diaby/Denilson/Neo- Coker?? (Wenger wants him)----Cesc

Walcott/ Hleb----------------------------Merida/Rosicky/ Ribery

-------Henry(like Shearer, never be taken off)--RvP/ Bap/ Ade.

This depends on if Lehmann, Gallas, Gilberto, Lauren, Ljunberg retire or leave which they might not. Our squad will be in their prime at this point and i doubt Wenger will put in youngsters if we're making a push for trophies, like he did with Walcott last season.

And not only you, but others want even more younsters? where are we going to put Djourou, Merida, Parisio, Vela, Rui Fonte, Song, Flamini, Lupoli, Bendtner , Barazite- the list goes on

Even in 5 years time our there still won't be much space for youngsters, so why would we spend more money and time if the ones we have already are phenomenal talents?

Remember when we knew Pires was ging to leave? we thought Reyes was going to be our starting LW and Walcott his sub. then Wenger bought Rosicky(who i love) and now Walcott has to wait even longer to get a spot. All i'm saying is that, that could happen to any position and since we know it will eventually happen to just stick with the youngsters we have now and make then outstanding rather than good.

Alfonso

Established Member
Gooner_8ca said:
killasback_88 said:

I totally agree with you and I think you bring up the most crucial point. The impatience and perhaps arrogance of some youth players may cause the most strain on the system. I don't take kindly to the threats he's made either but that's kind of the risk you take when some kids develop faster than what you have planned. I still think mentally he's very far away especially after those types of comments. Hopefully he'll really grow up soon.

I disagree. I think mentally Bertender is way above his peers. He knows hes good and hes not *****footing around. You know what this means? Hes a damn good striker, who wont *****foot in the penalty box. I would rather our players have this mentality than unconfident and shy veteran youngsters like Justin Hoyte.

F_Henry

Look at Rvp and Ade!

THey are both competeing with eachother. At some points last season I wanted them both gone because they weren't playing well- always looking over their shoulders for their place. But when RvP was injured- Ade relaxed more and started playing well. And now this season Wenger has favoured RvP lately, he's been playing well, he's more confident and not afraid of making mistakes- knowing he won't be substituted.

Imagine that with even younger players- imagine the psychological damage it does to their morale. Working hard your whole life then coming to Arsenal at 16-17 to prove yourself again and fighting with anothr 5-6 players for 1 spot. That's why i like Southampton and French Teams who focus on a few players like Walcott and Bale and probably couple more.

We should think more of Quality over Quantity- or else we'll be the youth version of Chelsea.

F_Henry said:
He hasn't been getting 20 year olds? So Diaby, Adebayor and O' Ceaurill don't count?

How can he implement 16-17 year olds in 3-4? If our squad will have no room for any youngsters coming in? I guarantee you Ribery will be coming to Arsenal in the summer, or even January, whre are we going to put the 16-17 year old players??

----------------------New GK or Butcher-----------------------

Eboue-------Toure-------Senderos------Clichy/Traore/ or mayb buy 1

------Diaby/Denilson/Neo- Coker?? (Wenger wants him)----Cesc

Walcott/ Hleb----------------------------Merida/Rosicky/ Ribery

-------Henry(like Shearer, never be taken off)--RvP/ Bap/ Ade.

This depends on if Lehmann, Gallas, Gilberto, Lauren, Ljunberg retire or leave which they might not. Our squad will be in their prime at this point and i doubt Wenger will put in youngsters if we're making a push for trophies, like he did with Walcott last season.

And not only you, but others want even more younsters? where are we going to put Djourou, Merida, Parisio, Vela, Rui Fonte, Song, Flamini, Lupoli, Bendtner , Barazite- the list goes on

Even in 5 years time our there still won't be much space for youngsters, so why would we spend more money and time if the ones we have already are phenomenal talents?

Remember when we knew Pires was ging to leave? we thought Reyes was going to be our starting LW and Walcott his sub. then Wenger bought Rosicky(who i love) and now Walcott has to wait even longer to get a spot. All i'm saying is that, that could happen to any position and since we know it will eventually happen to just stick with the youngsters we have now and make then outstanding rather than good.

I just told you to read carefully and next thing you do is misquote me again. When did you learn to read? I said "Wenger hasn't been buying THAT MANY 20 year olds." It doesn't mean he didn't buy any but that he reduced the number that he bought. Furthermore, you're making too many assumptions. I might as well be saying that we let freddy go because of all his injuries and that henry breaks his leg because of a challenge similiar to di mateo and his career is over. *knock on wood* Assuming Henry is healthy what if his pace dies down which affects his game. There's so many things that can happen that you need a lot of players to compensate for that. Right now we have a group of players ready to back up the first team, it's time to start adding more for the future. Also in regards to the Walcott situation I don't think rosicky has hindered his growth. Walcott did not even play last year but he has looked very impressive with the few games he did have. Also the most important attribute Walcott has is that he listens. He's not some hotshot who depends a spot. He will develop into something special.

Alfonso

Established Member
F_Henry said:
Look at Rvp and Ade!

THey are both competeing with eachother. At some points last season I wanted them both gone because they weren't playing well- always looking over their shoulders for their place. But when RvP was injured- Ade relaxed more and started playing well. And now this season Wenger has favoured RvP lately, he's been playing well, he's more confident and not afraid of making mistakes- knowing he won't be substituted.

Imagine that with even younger players- imagine the psychological damage it does to their morale. Working hard your whole life then coming to Arsenal at 16-17 to prove yourself again and fighting with anothr 5-6 players for 1 spot. That's why i like Southampton and French Teams who focus on a few players like Walcott and Bale and probably couple more.

We should think more of Quality over Quantity- or else we'll be the youth version of Chelsea.

Spot on.

Don't forget Van persie has also had a chance to play on the National team on a regular basis now. Of course he's gonna be more confident

Arsenal Quotes

A fan and a supporter behaves in different ways and what we have experienced in the last two games is pretty unique and is related to our history

Mikel Arteta
Top Bottom