• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will this team reach it's potential in a 4-4-2?

fuma75

i wanna see this

------------Lehmann
Eboue---Toure---Gallas---Clichy
----------Gilberto
Hleb------Baptista-----Rosicky
-------RVP-------Henry

the dawn raids

Established Member
do people really think well see (or even want to see) a lineup without Fabregas? i mean i hope the new moves allow him to get a break here and there, but i wouldnt expect him to be leaving the 1st choice 11 any time soon, and neither should anyone else.

Reyes no.11

@ the dawn raids, you have your opinion, we have ours. since fabregas has been in the 1st team, our premiership campaign has been rubbish. its obvious he is a liability in a 4-4-2 formation.

™}}T£M0o$£{{™

---------------------Jens------------------------
----------------------------------------------------
-------------Toure---------Gallas-------------
--Lauren-----------------------------Clichy--
-------------------Gilberto----------------------
----------Cesc-----------------------------------
---------------------------Hleb/Rosicky-------
-----RvP----------------------------Henry-----
--------------------Baptista--------------------

My line up, can't think of anyone else that deserves a starting place.

By the way Henry and RvP are supossed to provide width, a bit like the dutch tactics, in a 4-3-3.

Hleb and Rosicky are our main playmakers as they play thier best football at AMC and this is the only way where every one is happy. Cesc plays CM and can interchange with Hleb if he wants to go forward. Theo can come in for Baptista and slot in where Henry is. Henry can then play where Baptista is.

Then Problem of width would lessen because RvP and Henry are not playmakers and are more direct than the likes of Hleb and Rosicky.

f4evo

Reyes no.11 said:
@ the dawn raids, you have your opinion, we have ours. since fabregas has been in the 1st team, our premiership campaign has been rubbish. its obvious he is a liability in a 4-4-2 formation.

:shock: :? :eek:
so you would bringiin Denilson and Baptista to replace the inform pair of Fabregas and RvP who are undoubtedly more talented too, Cesc is a liablility? he was the most consistent player last year, i think he will be our most important player this year

anyway each to their own...

Reyes no.11

ok, so tell me why we have been losing so many games in the EPL since vieira has left? how come it was harder to travel to bolton or westbrom last year than it was to go to real madrid or juventus?

any link with the formation?...

Reyes no.11

™}}T£M0o$£{{™ said:
---------------------Jens------------------------
----------------------------------------------------
-------------Toure---------Gallas-------------
--Lauren-----------------------------Clichy--
-------------------Gilberto----------------------
----------Cesc-----------------------------------
---------------------------Hleb/Rosicky-------
-----RvP----------------------------Henry-----
--------------------Baptista--------------------

My line up, can't think of anyone else that deserves a starting place.

By the way Henry and RvP are supossed to provide width, a bit like the dutch tactics, in a 4-3-3.

Hleb and Rosicky are our main playmakers as they play thier best football at AMC and this is the only way where every one is happy. Cesc plays CM and can interchange with Hleb if he wants to go forward. Theo can come in for Baptista and slot in where Henry is. Henry can then play where Baptista is.

Then Problem of width would lessen because RvP and Henry are not playmakers and are more direct than the likes of Hleb and Rosicky.

excellent line up, i agree with that. everyone is happy and it suits everyplayer. id rather put eboue there instead of lauren.

has this been taken??

the thing is, in our traditional 4-4-2, all the midfielders apart from gilberto are given free license to float about. hleb floats in from the wing as does rosicky and fabregas roams about the pitch linking up the play. it suits us at home but away from it we have to adapt our play against the stronger teams. also with baptista added to the team, i think we need to find a way to allow him to do what he does best and im sure Arsène has already found out how to considering he has been chasing him for two years.
i think a 4-3-3 suits our strengths very well with gilberto shielding the defence:

------------------------Lehmann---------------------

-----Eboue--------Kolo----------Gallas------Clichy----

-----------------------Gilberto-----------------------

----------Fabregas-------------------Baptista--------

---RvP----------------------------------------Rosicky-

-----------------------Henry--------------------------

this formation allows everyone to float, baptista can make surging forward runs, rosicky cut float inside, Robin can go up and play off Henry and Fabregas can link up the play as he does so well. Defensive it is also sound as it easily can revert back to a more solid 4-4-2:

-----Fabregas----------Gilberto-------Baptista----Rosicky--

-------------------RvP---------------Henry----------------

It will be hard for teams to break that team down and it allows more variety in the team's shape to suit the players.

athreya74

Gurgen said:
I don't care what players we have or what works best, 4-5-1 is a defensive formation and I don't ever want to see an Arsenal team set up like that again.

It's an insult to players like Henry to put him alone up front. Eventually he will get hacked to pieces and become frustrated. Look at what happened to Rooney at the World Cup.

Well in CL knockout games, sometimes it pays to have a defensive set up. We were pretty effective in the second legs vs RM and Juventus last season because of 4-5-1. Agreed we were **** against Villareal but that was because the players collectively had the yipes.

Arguably, Henry is not suited to play a lone striker but there is nothing insulting when someone is asked to modify his style for the team's sake. Henry had one of the best moments of his career playing as a lone striker at the Bernabeu. Rooney didn't succeed at world cup becuase he was not fully (match) fit and he had a **** midfield to work with. Even then if Lampard had converted half of his chances, England would have progressed.

Ultimately, sometimes we have to take a pragmatic view reg formations particularly when we play in Europe. Being pragmatic helped us last season while adhereing to an idealistic way of playing didn't get us beyond quarters in the previous seasons. I think with Baptista and Cesc in the middle ready to push up front, 4-5-1 can be a success for us. Of course if we are able to win with style with a 4-4-2 I am all for it. But we are asking a lot of RvP/Ade neither of whom played much part in the CL knock-out competitions last season. I think we will have to revert to 4-5-1 sometime this season. I hope to be proved wrong.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Shocked to see people actually think Fabregas could/should lose his place to Baptista or anyone else he is just as integral to our play as Henry in my oppinion. It must also be stressed that Baptista should 100.1% not be employed as the lone striker as one of his strengths is arriving late into the box ala scholes and putting the finishing touch, he would be wasted as a target man. A 4-4-2 no longer is best for this team.

qs

Established Member
Theres absolutely no need for a deep lying defensive midfielder now. We'll be extremely secure in the defense now so theres no point making the midfield more defensive.

4-4-2 with Bap and Theirry up front with Bap in the Bergkamp position and Cesc and Bert in the middle with who ever you like on the wings is ideal for us.

oO~bubz~Oo

Personally, I prefer the 4-4-2 formation but I dont think it accomodates the "creative midfielders" we have such as Hleb and Rosicky who play best in the centre.

KSK

---------------------------Mad Jens--------------------------

-------------"Kolonol" Toure-----Willy Gallas---------

---Eboue/Lauren----------------------------------------Clichy----

-------------------------------Silva-----------------------------

----------------------Rosicky----Cesc-----------------------

R.V.P----------------The BEAST----------The King :twisted:

oO~bubz~Oo

KSK said:

I like this formation. All the players in their most favoured and productive positions.
I dont think Le Boss would ever use it though...

KSK

oO~bubz~Oo said:
KSK said:

I like this formation. All the players in their most favoured and productive positions.
I dont think Le Boss would ever use it though...

He might be watching........ :shock:

™}}T£M0o$£{{™

qs said:
Theres absolutely no need for a deep lying defensive midfielder now. We'll be extremely secure in the defense now so theres no point making the midfield more defensive.

4-4-2 with Bap and Theirry up front with Bap in the Bergkamp position and Cesc and Bert in the middle with who ever you like on the wings is ideal for us.
what about that we lack ALOT of width, are we supposed to rely on clichy and eboue at full backs to run as much as cashley did? and attack as much as cashley did? we either need ribery to balance the side out or we need to change the tactics

3Z

has this been taken?? said:
the thing is, in our traditional 4-4-2, all the midfielders apart from gilberto are given free license to float about. hleb floats in from the wing as does rosicky and fabregas roams about the pitch linking up the play. it suits us at home but away from it we have to adapt our play against the stronger teams. also with baptista added to the team, i think we need to find a way to allow him to do what he does best and im sure Arsène has already found out how to considering he has been chasing him for two years.
i think a 4-3-3 suits our strengths very well with gilberto shielding the defence:

------------------------Lehmann---------------------

-----Eboue--------Kolo----------Gallas------Clichy----

-----------------------Gilberto-----------------------

----------Fabregas-------------------Baptista--------

---RvP----------------------------------------Rosicky-

-----------------------Henry--------------------------

this formation allows everyone to float, baptista can make surging forward runs, rosicky cut float inside, Robin can go up and play off Henry and Fabregas can link up the play as he does so well. Defensive it is also sound as it easily can revert back to a more solid 4-4-2:

-----Fabregas----------Gilberto-------Baptista----Rosicky--

-------------------RvP---------------Henry----------------

It will be hard for teams to break that team down and it allows more variety in the team's shape to suit the players.

I 100% agree with this team. This is the shape that will get the best out of the players we have. Gilberto especially... also cesc... rvp, fabregas, baptista and rosicky are all interchangable with hleb and ljungberg. Walcott can replace rvp, rosicky and henry and when need flamini or perhaps lauren can filll in for gilberto... as promising as he may look i doubt that denilson will get to many first team apps this year bar the cups.

kel varnsen

Established Member
™}}T£M0o$£{{™ said:
qs said:

what about that we lack ALOT of width, are we supposed to rely on clichy and eboue at full backs to run as much as cashley did? and attack as much as cashley did? we either need ribery to balance the side out or we need to change the tactics

that's exactly what we're supposed to do. that's is one of the bigest strengths in wenger's 4-4-2; using the full backs, and not the wingers, to provide a bit of width in the attack. it's a demanding tactic, but when it works it is much more dynamic and effecient than just relying on a regular winger.

ribery is not needed. not only is rosicky a far better footballer, he is alsom more similar to pires and hence more likely to give us what bobby used to and thirdly we don't neither need nor have the room for more traditional wingers here.

Arsenal Quotes

If you love football, you love Tomáš Rosický

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom