• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will Van Persie Surpass Henry's Tally?

outlaw_member

Established Member
A pretty straightforward thread. As we should all know, Thierry Henry scored 39 goals in the season of 2003/04, the highest tally by an Arsenal player in the modern era. Robin van Persie has currently managed 34 goals, with only 5 games remaining in the season. Can he do it, or will he fall just short of the target?

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
He will do it I think. How many goals has he got in total for us? 130ish? He's roughly 100 behind Henry. Does anyone think he could be our all-time top scorer if he stays another few seasons?

Spork

Established Member
He needs to pull out some huge games from here on out, but I personally don't mind, he has done enough for the 11/12 Arsenal squad, and while I would love for him to get as many personal achievements as possible, I don't think it matters too much.

GG8

Could be tight, I think he needs at least a brace tonight given its our easiest game on paper.

I believe if he signs a new contract he has a chance of beating Henry's all time record as well.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

2 v Wigan tonight.
1 v Chelsea
0 v Stoke
2 v Norwich
1 v West Brom

Yes i think he'll do it.

mo50

Established Member
He'll score a hat trick tonight.

Also, Rooney is right behind him in the PL scoring charts. Only 3 behind. It would be dissappointing if he didn't get the golden boot.

GG8

Unfair that having a diving cheat like Ashley Young in your team can help players win such an important award.

GDeep™

League is very weak
He's had enough chances in the last 5/6 games to be close to or even have surpassed Titi's total. I think he might just fall short unless he grabs a couple today.

Sign a new contract, stay injury free, and I think he could be in with a shout for Thierry's BIG total, would love Robin to become our all time leading goal scorer.

GG8

Definitly GDeep, Ive said before I think he has it in him. Thierry has all the awards you could ever want, I dont think he would be to annoyed if Robin took all-time scorer off him.

And given that Robin will win nowhere near the amount of trophies with Arsenal that TH14 did I think it would be fitting for Robin to leave the club with such a record in return for his loyalty during this barren spell. (If he signs.) Couple that with a few winner medals in the coming years and I believe Robin would be proud of his footballing carrer and how it panned out.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Robin is still what, 100 goals short of Henry's total (?), really can't see that happening, since Robin gets closer and closer to the 30 year mark and I don't really see him maintainig the fitness levels to play in that many games over the next, say two/three seasons, to have a shout on that record. I think he could pass Wrighty who's on 185 (still a huge task), that's more realistic.

It'd be incredible if he broke Henry's season record with 40 goals, but I'm doubtfull to be honest. Eventually, I think he'll perhaps just about come short here as well, like with the Shearer record four months ago.

mistaT

Established Member
Yes if he can get two vs Wigan.

Not sure otherwise as I think goals will be scarce against Chelsea and Stoke

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
if he score a hattrick today or just 2 goals i think he will can.

who knows maybe another hattrick vs chelsea at emirates. lol.

wishful_llama

I reckon he'll probably get a couple more before the end of the season, it'll be close but ultimately he will fall short, but a 35/36 goal season is an absolutely sensational return for Robin and he'll get all the deserved personal accolades with the golden boot/pfa/football writers awards.

Could he beat Thierry's all time record? Personally I don't think he can, mainly because I can't see him maintaining this sort of strike rate for the next 3/4 years. Anyway I still look on Henry's record as a reflection of the early to mid 2000's golden era at AFC, full of trophies, a legendary team and sensational memories. If it were to be broken I'd want it to be in another similar golden era, not one mired in memories of pain, frustration and disappointment.

p.s. just in case some of you have forgotten Thierry Henry is not only the greatest player to have ever played for the Arsenal but also in England during the premier league era and I find it all the more fitting that he remains the club's all time top scorer!

GG8

99 short at the minute. Another three or four season averaging 30+ goals isnt to far-fetched given his form at the minute.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
even if he not break the henry record i will be happy he end the season with 30 goals i want him to get the golden boot he deserve more then rooney.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
PFA player of the year noms are out: Joe Hart, Scott Parker, Robin van Persie, Sergio Aguero, Wayne Rooney, David Silva.

Rvp deserve it.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Parker.. :lol:

RVP definitely deserves it, he carried us on his own so many times.

Koscielny deserves an honourable mention at least.. the guy has been immense, even people who aren't gooners should see that.

Arsenal Quotes

A fan and a supporter behaves in different ways and what we have experienced in the last two games is pretty unique and is related to our history

Mikel Arteta
Top Bottom