• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Will we ever win the league with Cesc leading this team?

hackajack

Established Member
General said:
Dodgy execution similar to Paul Scholes.
Scholes isn't a 'bad tackler' if that's what you're trying to say (like ManU apologists) he's a dirty little **** who knows exactly what he's doing (and incidentally has been rumbled by refs in tha last season or so - except Bottlin' Bennett in that game at Wigan last year)

Zico

Established Member
Clichy has never been as good as Cole was at his peak for his Arsenal. Again, let us not be biased buy our justifiable hatred for Cashley. The man was fast approaching the level of a Zambrotta when he was with Arsenal. I think that style of play and injuries have hampered his development in his first two years at Chelsea, but I would take Cole everyday over Clichy. Crossing, tackling, isolating, link-play - these are all things Cole is vastly superior at. Clichy is probably a lot faster, but that is about the only attribute I can think of.

However, that said, I don't think our title aspirations will fall on the disadvantage of having Clichy instead of Cole. The weaker left of the two is still one of the top 3 left backs in English football.

Captain

Established Member
Clichy is a better one-on-one defender and header of the ball then ashley cole ever was at arsenal.

He suffers by the fact that he doesn't have a partnership to develop down the left but should nasri prove to be good for 40-45 games a year down the left that will soon be resolved.

hackajack

Established Member
Captain said:
Clichy is a better one-on-one defender and header of the ball then ashley cole ever was at arsenal.
He isn't, Cole is the only defender in the league who can put Tranaldo in his pocket.

ricky1985

Established Member
The one thing Cole had in his time at Arsenal was the ability to perform when it mattered most. The better the winger, or the bigger the game, the better Ashley Cole played.

Clichy still has to prove he can handle pressure like Cole could/still can.

Technically Clichy is a phenomenal defender, his body positioning, recovery speed and general intelligence are way, way above any other fullbacks in the Premiership.

....and BTW Clichy has had Ronaldo well and truly in his pocket every game since he became regular left back. He is just too quick and agile for Ronaldo, beats him at his own game.

banduan

Established Member
Cesc should never be forced to 'carry' the team. It's not the Arsenal philosophy anyway.

Clichy cannot be a captain or the team leader simply because full-back is a bad position for a skipper and Gael is too quiet anyway.

General

Established Member
banduan said:
Clichy cannot be a captain or the team leader simply because full-back is a bad position for a skipper and Gael is too quiet anyway.

Clichy too quiet? I think not. He is eloquent and quite forthright in his views actually. I’m a big fan of ‘Arsenal mastermind’ and he looked the most gregarious out of the lot this year. Gallas was credited with the late equaliser against Manure last season but it all started with Clichy sprinting forward with the ball from no where. Captain material if you ask me and his ability to inject urgency late in a game is a rarity. I'd give the captaincy to any of the back four before looking in midfield.

Shadow Moses

Established Member
hackajack said:
Captain said:
He isn't, Cole is the only defender in the league who can put Tranaldo in his pocket.

Don't know what games/team you've been watching but Sagna & Clichy constantly keep C.Ronaldo quiet.

Zico

Established Member
I hate to bring back the invincibles, but I feel like on that team any of Vieira, Keown, Campbell, Lauren and maybe even Dennis could have slipped on the captain's armband with comfort and received the respect of their teammates. I look around this team and feel like we do not have a corps of leaders like that. This is the problem with building a team around unaccomplished youth.

Arsenal Quotes

Don’t be scared to be ambitious. It’s not a humiliation to have a high target and to fail. For me, the real humiliation is to have a target and not to give everything to reach it.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom