• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Saliba: Here to Stay ✍️

Who?

• Van Dijk

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Saliba

Votes: 243 84.4%
  • Maguire

Votes: 14 4.9%

• Total voters

carlito'sway

Established Member
I feel like you guys would put the needs of the player ahead of the needs of the club. Sometimes you need to play hardball with players, especially the ones playing hardball with you.

That is beyond the point. Does not make any sense to keep a big time player on the bench because he refuses to extend. You cut your losses by either playing him regardless of the situation or sell him.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
That is beyond the point. Does not make any sense to keep a big time player on the bench because he refuses to extend. You cut your losses by either playing him regardless of the situation or sell him.
Exactly why destroy the value of the ssset you are trying to shop; look how city rode De Jesus to 45 million pounds and hot streak of goals? They don’t play him knowing he will be gone and he goes for 35 million max. You in fact let the guy shine right before you sell

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Exactly why destroy the value of the ssset you are trying to shop; look how city rode De Jesus to 45 million pounds and hot streak of goals? They don’t play him knowing he will be gone and he goes for 35 million max. You in fact let the guy shine right before you sell

Because we don't want to sell him, perhaps? They played Jesus knowing full well they were in for Haaland and the deal was basically done, so they knew they were selling.

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!
Don't want to hear about hindsight is 20 20 bullshit. Even the amateur Arsenal supporter knew Saliba was better than Ben White.

He would have played infront of White last season, but Arteta had an agenda.

Hopefully Tets is begging forgiveness and Saliba is convinced to sign an extension. Thankfully Saliba is an Arsenal supporter :)

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Because we don't want to sell him, perhaps? They played Jesus knowing full well they were in for Haaland and the deal was basically done, so they knew they were selling.

I don't think trying to bench Saliba for a whole season if he refuses to sign an extension is really a good idea. Playing "hardball" can work in certain situations, perhaps if he were an older player and we had more money as a club.

But nowadays I think it's a bit nonsensical to lose out on a player's fee just to try and keep them for a year extra with a low chance that they'd change their mind; it's better to just sell the player and if they've played well enough the season before you can still get a very good fee which is a situation we may be in.

The money can then be re-invested. I always think back to Sanchez's last season and I still regret us not taking the £60M or so from City the summer before, then again we would've bought Lemar so maybe it's good that we didn't sell him :lol:

But I think you can get the point, players now seem to hold a lot of power due to their wages and perhaps due to having more savvy agents, also the fact that they can agree pre-contracts up to six months before the expiry of their contract gives them quite a bit of leverage.

The best approach would be for Arteta to show faith and give him a really fair shot this season (which Arteta does seem to be doing), if we can get CL and he features heavily and is feeling like he's part of the group then there's a good chance he signs the extension.

If he still refuses to then we should sell in the summer 2023 (afaik he still has two years left if we exercise the option in his contract), we should still get a strong fee for him so long as we play it smartly.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
But I don't want a fee for him, there aren't many CB at his age and quality available for any money, what good is money if you have positions that need upgrading and no players available? I'd rather have the quality player.

Xln

Get me Jesus on the phone 📲
How did I miss this 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

@carlito'sway exposing the shills who wanted Saliba sold and thought he wasn’t better than Ben White.

Good to see all of those who believed in the quality of big Willy Saliba are proven right once again.
Few months ago I made a post wanting Saliba back and that he should leave that farmer's league.

The usual outers instantly jumped at me telling me I had an agenda, trying to put Saliba downo_O(something to do with Arteta how he handled Saliba).

The Saliba thread isn't for sober people, appearently :lol:

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

But I don't want a fee for him, there aren't many CB at his age and quality available for any money, what good is money if you have positions that need upgrading? I'd rather have the quality player.

Ahh but I wouldn't want a fee for him either in that context, but at that point what choice would we really have?

There'd be no World Cup to use as leverage against Saliba so he could very feasibly opt to just sit out the first 6 months and then sign a pre-contract with a likely a broad selection of clubs.

The risk is that you bench him for the last season, he still doesn't sign and he leaves anyway which is the absolute worst outcome.

And don't get it twisted we'd look like mugs if he then went on to have a Van Dijk level playing career. Which is why we couldn't risk playing with fire like that.

The only way you bench him is if you've got a strong inkling that he'll sign if pushed but I mean given the way players behave in today's game, and especially given his age why would he sign in that scenario?

Anyway prevention is the best cure here which I think Arteta has identified. We should put everything into making him feel welcome and part of the group this season, and let's really make a good effort for CL. Do that and I'm confident we can convince him to stay.

carlito'sway

Established Member
But I don't want a fee for him, there aren't many CB at his age and quality available for any money, what good is money if you have positions that need upgrading and no players available? I'd rather have the quality player.

Dude, I am truly confused here. The idea that you can sit a top player because he will not extend is simply silly and stupid, to put it mildly. As others mentioned, top players have leverage and benching him is simply terrible management. Beyond that, players have agency too, not to mention the terrible message that would send to current or potential future players.
.At this point Tets better make sure he use his charm to convince him to stay. if not, we just have to cut our losses.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Few months ago I made a post wanting Saliba back and that he should leave that farmer's league.

The usual outers instantly jumped at me telling me I had an agenda, trying to put Saliba downo_O(something to do with Arteta how he handled Saliba).

Naa tbh you were chatting a whole load of sh!t back then and you're still waffling on about Ligue 1 being a farmer's league which is just nonsense you seem to be parroting just because some football donuts like to call it that.

"The Saliba thread isn't for sober people, appearently" - that would be you Xln.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
Don't want to hear about hindsight is 20 20 bullshit. Even the amateur Arsenal supporter knew Saliba was better than Ben White.

He would have played infront of White last season, but Arteta had an agenda.

Hopefully Tets is begging forgiveness and Saliba is convinced to sign an extension. Thankfully Saliba is an Arsenal supporter :)

Hindsight is 20 20, mate.

carlito'sway

Established Member

can we ****ing rest that lazy and imbecile "farmers league" nonsense? It is simply dumbing down this forum. Some of the best young CBs in the EPL came straight from this league and became automatic starters (Our very own Gabriel, Fofana, Zouma etc). Saliba went back there an established himself as an elite CB.
As we speak now, PL clubs are being fleeced into paying huge money for even average players from Ligue1. So lets' cut this crap.

Xln

Naa tbh you were chatting a whole load of sh!t back then and you're still waffling on about Ligue 1 being a farmer's league which is just nonsense you seem to be parroting just because some football donuts like to call it that.

"The Saliba thread isn't for sober people, appearently" - that would be you Xln.
Mate. My opinion on the farmer's league should not influence the matter on any agendas on Arteta in/out.

Had it not been for Saliba I'd still say Ligue 1 is a farmer's league. Call me out on that, sure we can discuss. But don't bring in the narrative that I'm saying that due to being Arteta in.

I was litteraly saying I WANT Saliba back ffs.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Mate. My opinion on the farmer's league should not influence the matter on any agendas on Arteta in/out.

Had it not been for Saliba I'd still say Ligue 1 is a farmer's league. Call me out on that, sure we can discuss. But don't bring in the narrative that I'm saying that due to being Arteta in.

I was litteraly saying I WANT Saliba back ffs.

Bla bla bla cool story bro.

Xln

can we ****ing rest the lazy and imbecile "farmers league" nonsense? It is simply dumbing down this forum. Some of the best young CBs in the EPL came straight from this league and became automatic starters (Our very own Gabriel, Fofana, Zouma etc). Saliba went back there an established himself as an elite CB.
As we speak now, PL clubs are being fleeced into paying huge money for even average players from Ligue1. So lets' cut this crap.
The good players leave to better leagues. The dross remains there. That's why I say that.

Talents wise? France is big on that. They bring one of the best players on this planet that's for sure.

Arsenal Quotes

First I went left, he did too. Then I went right and he did too. Then I went left again and he went to buy a hot dog.

Arsene Wenger on dribbling Zinedine Zidane in a charity game

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 19

RB Leipzig want to offer Benjamin Šeško a new contract to stay for one more year [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal are the negotiating table for Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim via Sport_Witness]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom