• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Saliba: Here to Stay ✍️

Who?

• Van Dijk

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Saliba

Votes: 243 84.4%
  • Maguire

Votes: 14 4.9%

• Total voters

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
He was right in terms of how highly he rated Saliba, but he was dead wrong about his future at Arsenal.
That was most of the forum tbh, and all of them are Arsenal supporters only, which I'm not sure is his case.

In any case, I really enjoyed his insight on Ligue 1 and French football, guessing he is French.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

I find it hard to critique the club for not wanting to pencil in a 20 yr old CB as their starter given all we know and the years and years of history and precedent about 20 yr old CBs, but then it's also true what you're saying. Tough one, honestly, which is why I say that I think it's one of the fairer critiques of the GasparGodtetaReign. But honestly Saliba is just a crazy talent, with each passing game he's looking like Varane (before him the best 19-20 yr old CB prospect I'd ever seen) look like a crap prospect.

I agree with that, although my biggest frustration isn't that he was not a starter for us, it's that he wasn't given enough of a chance to prove himself here previously (especially after the Nice loan where he performed well).

Thankfully he killed it at Marseille and was put in straight away this year.

The fact that Gunnerblog and Matt Spiro were previously scratching their heads a bit about the situation says a lot. Gunnerblog especially because he said he saw him at St. Etienne and was impressed.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
I agree with that, although my biggest frustration isn't that he was not a starter for us, it's that he wasn't given enough of a chance to prove himself here previously (especially after the Nice loan where he performed well).
I'm guessing what @drippin (I think?) suggested that it might've been a bit protecting him as a young boy with his personal tragedy might have something to do with it.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

He was right in terms of how highly he rated Saliba, but he was dead wrong about his future at Arsenal.

Yeah I was in a similar boat tbh, I've always rated Saliba highly and he was really good for Marseille, but I did not think Arteta would incorporate him back into the squad the way he has and I honestly thought Saliba would push for a move considering what occurred previously.

I've already admitted I was wrong about that (several times) and I'm happy I was.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

I'm guessing what @drippin (I think?) suggested that it might've been a bit protecting him as a young boy with his personal tragedy might have something to do with it.

Well the thing is that Saliba himself wasn't particularly overjoyed that he didn't play during that period (beginning of 20/21 season). I've quoted him to death about it so I won't do it again.

But it's true that sometimes we don't know what's best for us amidst tragedy. However, at the very least after he already played for 6 months at OGC Nice there wasn't much of an excuse for not giving him a proper look.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Ornstein said he lost a loved one, and Kike Marin said he lost mother or both parents.

And AM mostly says: "That doesn't matter."

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳

Thankfully he killed it at Marseille and was put in straight away this year.

The fact that Gunnerblog and Matt Spiro were previously scratching their heads a bit about the situation says a lot. Gunnerblog especially because he said he saw him at St. Etienne and was impressed.
There wasn't a single pundit who wasn't scratching their head, even Wenger was perplexed why he wasn't at arsenal last yr.

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
Protecting him from what exactly. The player was clearly frustrated with his lack of opportunity, particularly after the Nice loan. He wasn't asking to go back to be with family in France. Remember immediately after the personal tragedy, we left him on his own for the next six month doing bugger all in London. I can't be convinced we handled Saliba well, but the club have done well now to reconcile things.

drippin

Protecting him from what exactly. The player was clearly frustrated with his lack of opportunity, particularly after the Nice loan. He wasn't asking to go back to be with family in France. Remember immediately after the personal tragedy, we left him on his own for the next six month doing bugger all in London. I can't be convinced we handled Saliba well, but the club have done well now to reconcile things.
Psychological things regarding loss of parent for a young person are not easy. No one can know what happens in the field if the player loses a battle and he hasn't processed the loss properly (and that takes time). Or outside of it.

Some mistakes were likely made, but giving him a proper break could have even been advised by professional counselors. We can't know what happened, only the club knows all the reasons.

drippin

It's interesting that the club is full of all kinds of top professionals, and know all the details.

Still here the assumption seems to be that we know better, and they only made huge mistakes.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Think the only weakness, if you can call it that is his range of passing, I said it earlier in the season. Maybe it's by design.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
You know when these mistakes will disappear William? When you sign the contract.

He maybe bit overwhelmed to be in world cup wasn't focused at 1st half the 2nd half was better

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Was clearly focused on the World Cup (think he knows he is starting in it for France) so was always gonna be playing a little distracted, so were others.

It's what you get when you put a ****ing World Cup in mid season, still the best defender in the league.

D

Deleted member 102404

Just a typical game you sometimes see with young players. One to forget and it’s great that Gabriel stepped up and played really well to help him out.
Good partnership.

juice man

Can't make his mind up
Worst game in an arsenal shirt for sure. That being said, was still pretty decent outside of 1 or 2 mistakes.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Would he have been sent off if that pen was given, unsure on the rules?

Either way, we deserved some luck against those bellends from the Midlands after the Luiz and Martinelli reds!

Arsenal Quotes

If you eat caviar everyday, it's difficult to return to sausages

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom