• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Saliba (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
I guess they don't have to give away anything from within but from the outside the way the club has handled this whole situation is real amateur hour. I can only think it's something personal that has happened with Arteta that we may never know about.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I guess they don't have to give away anything from within but from the outside the way the club has handled this whole situation is real amateur hour. I can only think it's something personal that has happened with Arteta that we may never know about.
They wanted to loan him in summer edu done bad job there at least now he'll have 6 months of playing time

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

They wanted to loan him in summer edu done bad job there at least now he'll have 6 months of playing time
Which is fair enough but even though they didn't manage we've had plenty opportunities to give him games in League Cup and Europa. I just get the feeling from the outside if there was no problems with Arteta he'd have played in those competitions over players who won't be here next season.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
I guess it's good news there's no option to buy, hints there could be a future for him.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Hold on.. Arsenal Mania told me he’d be sold to fund another CB???? :rofl::rofl:

Bunch of idiots on this forum, seriously.
I think only one guy said that. The same guy who was ‘jumping around’ because we beat West Brom. :lol:

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
I think something we forget, and me too, is that Saliba is much younger than Gabriel, nearly 4 years younger. When Gabriel was Saliba's age he was making a handful of appearances on loan at Troyes and Dinamo Zagreb, he was a nobody really.

Obviously in the context of what Saliba had already done at St Etienne we were right to expect more involvement from him, he was well ahead of most normal 18-19 year old CBs. But he's still a baby tbf, Gabriel is at a different stage of development and even he's still raw. Couldn't expect them to be a partnership from the get-go.

Like if Gabriel and Saliba ever do form a partnership it wouldn't reach it's peak until the latter half of this decade, or maybe even the end of the decade. Gotta be patient.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
We were not selling him at all he part of our future and still very young. People should learn to show patience with youngsters.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Good move for the young lad, glad we aren't selling him...he will be a good back up player to Gabriel and Holding in the future for us.

GunnerShy

Which is fair enough but even though they didn't manage we've had plenty opportunities to give him games in League Cup and Europa. I just get the feeling from the outside if there was no problems with Arteta he'd have played in those competitions over players who won't be here next season.
That ignores the fact that the Europa League squads were finalised prior to the transfer/loan window closing.
So if you don't name him in the squad on the assumption he'll be loaned out and he doesn't get loaned out your options are limited to cups and the PL.

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
The thing that gets me the most with Saliba is the mismanaged situation (I think, tough to really balance my frustrations if I'm honest) .
He turns 20 in 3 months, so he's not so young that you'd write him off from playing a few games here and there - Saka and Martinelli are both younger than Saliba after all. Saliba played Europa League games for Saint-Etienne as well.

"Well, he's a CB! They need to be older and more experienced!"
Well, yes, but he was an important part of Saint-Etienne's defence when he was 17/18 in a season they finished 4th. The next season he was injured for half the season, but whenever available he was a given startin spot again. So he's not as green as someone who only played youth team games - and Gabriel is just 3 years older than. Saliba played a couple more games than Gabriel in 18/19, and Gabriel played twice as much last year than Saliba due to the injury Saliba started the season with.

And to add to that, Saliba was playing full-time in his last 7 available games at Saint-Etienne and was playing full-time in the 3 games leading to the final of the Coupe de France. Saint-Etienne wanted to keep him for the final, Saliba wanted to play the final, but details (likely on both Arsenal's and Saint-Etienne's account) ruined that chance for the defender.

Meanwhile, his partner Fofana (just turned 20 last month) comes to Leicester, gets a chance from gameweek 5 and has been a starter ever since. Few would say he's been looking "too young", or that he's "still a baby". He's ready, he's proving it on the field.

And while the French League stopped playing games from February, that same situation was the case for Gabriel and Fofana, so not an argument there to be had either, really.

"Well, the pressure at Arsenal is much bigger than at Leicester!"
There's literarily been no fans in the arena. The pressure has not been that great compared to other seasons. If anything this season is prime condition to test out players who may or may not be too young/isn't ready for the pressure. Especially defenders in my opinion would be able to get invaluable experience in such a season. In any case he played in front of this sort of fans last season (albeit he didn't start play in this particular video, but they're not just crazy for one particular game). He's used to a bit of pressure.

And at the end, not getting a loan in summer (which would at least excuse some parts) is horrible mismanagement from Edu and the team, and then subsequently to leave him out of the EL squad and not play him in PL - and then also leave him completely out of the Carabao Cup team with the justification that "He cannot be involved because he's not in the squad. We made that decision with him and we'll see what we're going to do in January. We are talking about it [loan move] yes."
But, Saliba is registered and available for Premier League games so he's available for the Carabao Cup too so that's a ridiculous comment (even if what he meant is 'he's not in the squad today so he couldn't play' that's even dumber), but we'd rather have Mustafi and Kolasinac playing in the defence with Gabriel in that game.

Perhaps Saliba made a fuss about not getting to play the Cup final and Arteta and Edu thought it was out of place and wanted him out of the door last minute?
Perhaps he's just not proven himself enough in trainings and with the youth team - where he's been doing well - to get at least a minute here or there.
Perhaps Arteta doesn't like that he's comfortable on the ball and can pass? (Hmm.. that would seem odd, wouldn't it?)

Whatever is the case, we can't afford to have these situations happen to a coveted young talent from France who selected us ahead of Man Utd, Tottenham, Atletico Madrid etc. We should be seen as the perfect location for young talented players to go to and grow.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

That ignores the fact that the Europa League squads were finalised prior to the transfer/loan window closing.
So if you don't name him in the squad on the assumption he'll be loaned out and he doesn't get loaned out your options are limited to cups and the PL.
That's fair enough on the Europa, I didn't know that was before the transfer window shut. Still that was 3 League Cup games he could have played ahead of Luiz or Mustafi who don't appear to be in Arteta's long term plans.

Seems as well we've had months to prepare a loan for him only to give him away without a loan fee which I gather is the norm these days in loans rather than just straight wages.

Hopefully he'll go and get games till the end of the season and be a valuable member of our squad next season. Would just hate the thought of us giving up on a prospect like him when we see how good Fofana has been at Leicester. Another who wasn't signed to start straight away but through injuries has been given a chance and ran with it.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Good move for the young lad, glad we aren't selling him...he will be a good back up player to Gabriel and Holding in the future for us.

If Saliba had a good 6 months and convinced Arteta he was ready would you take Gabriel/Mari/Saliba/Holding as CB options next season? Seems decent to me but you could also argue it needs a bonafide experienced starting RCB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I really like Arsenal. But you, do you like Arsenal? Or just Arsenal with Trophies?

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom