• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Saliba (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MA08

Lucas Hernandez moving to PSG makes me feel like they will not go for Saliba. With Lucas moving they willl have Marquinhos, Skirniar and Kimbebe.

Tnegs

Throw in a release clause and get it done. I don’t see many scenarios where he stays at the club longer than a couple of seasons. He’s for the streets unless we win the big ones or he bombs.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Yeah but can you hand a 21 year old, who's played like 30 PL games, who has a dodgy back 300k a week.

Can you literally make him your best paid player? I don't think you can without causing damage within the dressing room.
He might have 27 PL games, but he has over 100 games in top flight football at 21 and he should've easily stayed and played all of last season as well. And I did say if his back is deemed ok, so bringing that in is just poor on your side.

Yes, could very well do that. But as I said, he'll be the best in the world in his position in a couple of years. I don't think anyone else in this squad will become the best in the world in their respective position ever.
I also think a lot of players in the squad recognize this and therefore the damage you think will happen I think can be sort of managed.

It will definitely cause some damage, but it won't be a massive uprising and those few players you can replace over time imho

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
He might have 27 PL games, but he has over 100 games in top flight football at 21 and he should've easily stayed and played all of last season as well. And I did say if his back is deemed ok, so bringing that in is just poor on your side.

Yes, could very well do that. But as I said, he'll be the best in the world in his position in a couple of years. I don't think anyone else in this squad will become the best in the world in their respective position ever.
I also think a lot of players in the squad recognize this and therefore the damage you think will happen I think can be sort of managed.

It will definitely cause some damage, but it won't be a massive uprising and those few players you can replace over time imho
So if he asks for 300k a week or he won't sign you would just give him that?

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I do think there is truth in the potential to upset the wage structure at the club and it's something that needs to be handled professionally.

Saliba is a wonderful talent, got WC potential and he had a good season but it's not like he carried that CB partnership with Gabriel. They were about even. Both were good overall with some real stand out games and the odd stinker thrown in.

He deserves to be one of the better paid players at the club but you can't realistically make him the highest earner. He just hasn't done enough to earn it yet. I say the same for Ødegaard also.

£180-200k seems more than fair to me.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

So if he asks for 300k a week or he won't sign you would just give him that?
You’re a whiny ****er, aren’t you?

It’s a negotiation. They won’t say that, but saying he’s not in a position to have demands and look for a high salary and as some people here say that we should rather let him go if he doesn’t accept the club’s terms is just weird.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
You’re a whiny ****er, aren’t you?

It’s a negotiation. They won’t say that, but saying he’s not in a position to have demands and look for a high salary and as some people here say that we should rather let him go if he doesn’t accept the club’s terms is just weird.
It was only a question. No need to throw your toys out of the pram. Everyone knows he's a top player. Just doesn't mean the club should be throwing whatever he wants on the table.

As you say. It's a negotiation. But one the club has to be willing to walk away from if his demands are too high.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

If Saliba doesn’t sign, there are going to be some broken keyboards in here 🤤🤩

That’s not a prediction, that's a spoiler.

A lot of cope about his back (which we’ve already seen) and him not being all that anyways. Or Saliba not being our best defender somehow which is straight up lies.

I think he will sign, but if he doesn’t good f*cking luck replacing him.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

A lot of cope about his back (which we’ve already seen) and him not being all that anyways. Or Saliba not being our best defender somehow which is straight up lies.

I think he will sign, but if he doesn’t good f*cking luck replacing him.
Why is it cope to say that the club knows much more about the injury than us? And should take the injury into account when thinking about the base wage?

Or saying that Gabriel and White have performed at a similar level for a longer time than Saliba (this is not about his better potential), so Saliba's wage can't be way bigger than theirs?

It likely will be bigger though as his contract is short and has been paid less wages thus far.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

It was only a question. No need to throw your toys out of the pram. Everyone knows he's a top player. Just doesn't mean the club should be throwing whatever he wants on the table.

As you say. It's a negotiation. But one the club has to be willing to walk away from if his demands are too high.
When I throw my toys out of the pram I’ll make Football manager and Hairspray look like choirboys :lol:

Of course the club has to be willing to walk away, but that’s the case with every player and negotiation and I never said differently. Making him our highest earner doesn’t mean paying him whatever he wants. And I don’t necessarily think he should be our highest earner either. But things don’t happen in a vacuum and if it necessary to keep him I do believe 300k is worth it

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Why is it cope to say that the club knows much more about the injury than us? And should take the injury into account when thinking about the base wage?

Or saying that Gabriel and White have performed at a similar level for a longer time than Saliba (this is not about his better potential), so Saliba's wage can't be way bigger than theirs?

It likely will be bigger though as his contract is short and has been paid less wages thus far.

If his back is as bad as some of you hoped he would have accepted what was offered, not angled for what he perceives is his worth.

The club also wouldn’t be still negotiating they would cash in.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
When I throw my toys out of the pram I’ll make Football manager and Hairspray look like choirboys :lol:

Of course the club has to be willing to walk away, but that’s the case with every player and negotiation and I never said differently. Making him our highest earner doesn’t mean paying him whatever he wants. And I don’t necessarily think he should be our highest earner either. But things don’t happen in a vacuum and if it necessary to keep him I do believe 300k is worth it
That's fair enough. So to the question I asked you would pay him 300k a week if that's what he asked for.

For me 300k is too much. If I were the club I'd be saying 180-200k basic and then maybe a few bonuses and a review down the line.

I think if we just say here you go whatever you want we will run into all sorts of problems down the line.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

I don't think it's that deep tbh. He wants to stay, we want to keep him and it's probably just negotiations. Saka's took ages, Nelli's as well was quite a while from the first reports.

I don't think there will be many clubs who will be offering him 200k wages.

drippin

But things don’t happen in a vacuum and if it necessary to keep him I do believe 300k is worth it
Just a thought. Usually defenders with Saliba's experience get like 100k per week. Maybe 120k per week.

Anyway, if Saliba would get 300k per week, that would make 52 million in 5 years time. If 120k per week for the other player, it's 47 million.

So you would have 47-52 million pounds to use for the transfer for the replacement player, along with a transfer fee for Saliba with 1 year left.

Depending on the back injury, 300k per week starts to be in the territory that makes you think a bit. Saliba has been injured for 284 days in total in his career thus far, and the current injury seems like ongoing.

drippin

If his back is as bad as some of you hoped he would have accepted what was offered, not angled for what he perceives is his worth.

The club also wouldn’t be still negotiating they would cash in.
What a silly comment to make mate. Ultimate fail.

I have already said that I expect that both parties want to wait a bit to see how the back develops before making the contract.

And no, by Arteta's comments it doesn't seem like a very bad back injury. But we don't know. 79 days missed currently, and counting it seems.

Sebastes

Statbomb Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Just a thought. Usually defenders with Saliba's experience get like 100k per week. Maybe 120k per week.

Anyway, if Saliba would get 300k per week, that would make 52 million in 5 years time. If 120k per week for the other player, it's 47 million.

So you would have 47-52 million pounds to use for the transfer for the replacement player, along with a transfer fee for Saliba with 1 year left.

Depending on the back injury, 300k per week starts to be in the territory that makes you think a bit. Saliba has been injured for 284 days in total in his career thus far, and the current injury seems like ongoing.
Usually you don’t pay 30m for an 18 year old. Kate, there’s nothing usual about Saliba. I believe he will have the same kind of impact as Maldini, Ramos, Silva et al.

We could have 100m for transfer fee and 150k per week, it doesn’t matter. Imo it doesn’t buy us anything close to what I believe he will become.

If one doubts his ability and potential and thinks he’s not a world class level talent, then I understand your point. I simply don’t subscribe to that.

drippin

Usually you don’t pay 30m for an 18 year old. Kate, there’s nothing usual about Saliba. I believe he will have the same kind of impact as Maldini, Ramos, Silva et al.

We could have 100m for transfer fee and 150k per week, it doesn’t matter. Imo it doesn’t buy us anything close to what I believe he will become.

If one doubts his ability and potential and thinks he’s not a world class level talent, then I understand your point. I simply don’t subscribe to that.
My points have nothing to do with thinking he is not WC class talent. I think he is.

It's just that we don't know how bad his injury is, and he has had other longer injuries already. So 300k per week contract with will ruin the wage structure, as defenders are not usually the biggest paid players. It would have huge consequences for FFP in the long run.

That's why I brought up, that you could get a 120k per week wage for the new CB, along with 47 million transfer fee + what you could get from Saliba with 1 year left in contract. Which I assume is at least 30 million.

What kind of talent you could get for 77 million + 120k per week contract (which is quite big wage for a CB from other leagues, and is close to what White from EPL earns I think)?

That money would get a huge talent, and you could get a player with no injury worries. And your wage structure would not be ruined which would cost even more later as other players would demand silly money.

This is what Arsenal likely thinks about, and won't pay silly money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

It works. I am just waiting until everyone has copied it, then I shall come up with something new.

Herbert Chapman on the famous WM formation
Top Bottom