• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Would you want to replace Vieira with Gerrard ?

Would you wanna sell Vieira and get Gerrard ?

• Yes - Gerrard is younger, it will be a fresh new change, and he can give more to the side

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - Patrick is the better defensive midfielder

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AFCG7

Established Member
Gurjit.. what youre saying makes better sense to me.. if we sell Vieira our midfield must be improved to a level that compensates enough or close enough to one which included Vieira.

Vieira to Madrid for a mega fee ... and Gerard + Ballck in our midfield.. maybe then i would consider it.. but even still he's our captain and our rock, to lose him for whatever amount of money would be hard to take.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
We just have to hope that he stays. If he doesn't then it in my view it would take two players of true world-class ability to replace him coz thats how good Vieira is.

JazzG

Established Member
patrick42uk said:
gerrard is not in vieira's league. so often vieira has made gerrard and indeed any english midfielder he has faced, look pretty average. i doubt there is an english player out there who could replace him

^^^^^^^ Agreed

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
On another well known forum, several members are saying that they head on TalkSport that Arsenal have called a press conference for Friday. This will probably be to unveil Almunia and Lupoli, or it could have something to do with squad numbers or the tour of Austria. Or it could be to unveil another new signing? Perhaps Trabelsi. It could be something to with Vieira. Or it could all be a load of crap. Remember I'm only the messenger.

www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/h2cluster2/h2.cg ... al&sort=Te

Now another member on that forum is saying that he's just heard on Spanish Radio that Vieira has signed for Real.

A

Anonymous

my view on this is either way we'd be winning :) if we keep paddy we win obviously ... but if we sell paddy for 30m gerard wouldnt cost 30m so we would get stevie g + another player .. i voted keep paddy though simply because id rather have the 2 best midfielders in the english prem playing along side each other rather than letting paddy go to get the other, im kinda greedy like that :D

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
On another well known forum, several members are saying that they head on TalkSport that Arsenal have called a press conference for Friday. This will probably be to unveil Almunia and Lupoli, or it could have something to do with squad numbers or the tour of Austria. Or it could be to unveil another new signing? Perhaps Trabelsi. It could be something to with Vieira. Or it could all be a load of crap. Remember I'm only the messenger.

Do we usually make press conferences just to announce shirt numbers ??? I doubt they would as we only expect 3 changes - Persie to get 11 - Almunia to get 24 and Lupoli to get his number - is that really worth a press conference ???

I have a feeling this is for the trabelsi signing ..... and we'd have almunia - persie and lupoli there to spice things up.

jeromelee

Does anyone know for sure what was the clause in Vieira's contract that they were mentioning? Something about if a team offers Arsenal 30m pounds for Paddy Arsenal has to accept the offer? Of course it's still up to the player to decide in the end. But what kind of clause is that that says an offer of 30m must be accepted? Is that for real?

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Does anyone know for sure what was the clause in Vieira's contract that they were mentioning? Something about if a team offers Arsenal 30m pounds for Paddy Arsenal has to accept the offer? Of course it's still up to the player to decide in the end. But what kind of clause is that that says an offer of 30m must be accepted? Is that for real?

yea there are these sort of clauses in many contracts - i found that out from championship manager !

However, we dont know if that clause really exists. Alot of sources are claiming that it does but i doubt it. Even if there was - Vieira would have to want to leave- which he doesnt.

Its not gonna happen but therez nothing else going on which is why its all over the papers.

KingReyes

Established Member
jeromelee said:

Its possible that he could have that clause in his contract but if I remember correctly PV4 himself said last season that there were no clauses when he signed his new deal. Whether thats true we don't know but a clause I expect him to have is that he is to informed when a formal bid comes in from another club.

jeromelee

Thanks KingReyes and Jose_Reyes for the info. But I still can't believe there are such clauses in a players contract where if another team makes and offer at a certain price range, the team has to accept the offer and allow the player to choose. That's a little crazy man. Especially for a team like Arsenal which is well known to have rock-solid contracts. And especially for a player like Vieira. Would Arsenal risk putting such a clause into Vieira's contract? I mean, frankly IMO I think 30m pounds for Vieira is cheap. Even Rio cost 30m. And Beckham 25m. And now they are saying Rooney is worth 30m. Are any of these players is the same league as Vieira? I really don't think so. I think If there were such a clause Arsenal would probably have put the amount something around the 50m region.

A.M.A.G.

Lets say that much of this speculation is true....

Real are making an attempt
30 mil clause in Paddy's contract
Paddy gets to choose...

then for me the following must be taken into account...
1. at least for last season... I think we were definitely a better team than Real Madrid... Arsenal accomplished quite a bit more i'd say... maybe i'm biased... but I am going to say that the theory of a move from Arsenal to Real, would be a move to a better team... is rubbish... maybe bigger/richer... but right now... i wouldn't say better
2. i would think PV4 should feel he has a lot of emotion/effort invested in Arsenal
3. He is obviously loved by team mates and fans
4. just signed what is probably an improved contract so he's probably well paid
5. he's captain of his team

while there is possibility that Real Madrid may be able to offer him more money... we don't know if the sum would be so ignificant as to turn his head, cause he could already be getting **** loads from Arsenal...

looking at all of this... I don't think there is anything there to warrant Paddy to want to move... unless Real would be offering him just bucket loads more... in which case he's after paper... so let him go...

but I have now conveniently suppressed my own worries... hope it helps others 8)

I dont think selling Vieira just to get Gerrard would be wise but should Vieira leave at some point, whether this season or in a few more, then I think Gerrard would be a good replacement, as he would only be a better player by then and he would have got fed up with Liverpool as they still wouldnt have won anything!

JGooner

Nobody can replace Vieira, but Gerrard comes closer than most. He is truly box-to-box, unlike Ballack who is essentially a brilliant attacking midfielder/deep lying striker in the Effenberg mould.

Gerrard is only 23 or whatever. He is a better attacker than Vieira already. He is nowhere as good at defending, retaining possession, directing the pace of the game, etc but these can be learnt.

Liverpool won't sell him and I don't think he will go back on his word to stay for at least another year, but he would probably be at the top of my list of Vieira replacements.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
JGooner said:
Nobody can replace Vieira, but Gerrard comes closer than most. He is truly box-to-box, unlike Ballack who is essentially a brilliant attacking midfielder/deep lying striker in the Effenberg mould.

Gerrard is only 23 or whatever. He is a better attacker than Vieira already. He is nowhere as good at defending, retaining possession, directing the pace of the game, etc but these can be learnt.

Liverpool won't sell him and I don't think he will go back on his word to stay for at least another year, but he would probably be at the top of my list of Vieira replacements.

I agree. I can't think of anyone else who could replace Vieira, except maybe Genaro Gattuso but he's not that good on the ball. I can't see Gerrard living Liverpool anytime soon though. Ballack would be great alongside Vieira but not as a direct replacement. Emerson's overrated in my opinion and Davids has just gone to Inter.

Andrew

Anyone is replaceable, it is just difficult. Vieira, Henry, Pires etc. won't be around for the rest of Arsenal's existance so if they are irreplacable then we should really be worried.

If Vieira did leave (which he won't), then Gerrard would be first priority. But he won't leave, because if he wanted to then Chelski would have got him. But I wouldn't want to replace Vieria with Gerrard unless it meant we had a good profit... But there is no need to talk about this anyway because he'll stay.

Arsenal Quotes

What does Arsenal mean? It means class. The structure of the Club, everything has a classy feel about it. It isn't always about success, there is more than that and this is what makes it a cut above the rest.

Charlie Nicholas
Top Bottom